View Full Version : Small steady rig rig for vg30?

Bruce S. Yarock
May 4th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I just picked up a vg 30 and am happy with it. I wanted to find out if there is anything smaller than a steady cam type rig that people are using.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Don Bloom
May 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM
While not a Steadicam rig the Multirig by DVTec was a lifesaver for me and with practice and knowing it it noy a direct replacement for axSteadicam you can get some very nice quality steadicam type footage and it can be quite flexible in setup.

Bruce S. Yarock
May 4th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hi Don, good to hear from you. I have one of those , and took the pod and rail adapter and use it with my fs100 on a rail system. I Aliso have a steadycam knock off that works we'll. but in was thinking of something else smaller and easier to grab for quick shots.
Bruce Yarock

Don Bloom
May 4th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Hey Bruce,
I think I do remember you saying at another time you had the Multirig. How about using something like the Manfrotto QR577 plate and release mechanism (if you aren't already). 2 plates, 1 on each camera and the base plate mechanism on the multirig allows for fast easy changeover from cam to cam. That way you only need 1 multirig. Unless I'm wrong I'm guessing you're only running 1 camera at a time (well maybe 1 on a tripod) so the QR should work for you. save you some bucks at the same time.

Craig Marshall
September 10th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Apologies for the poor image quality but here are two shots of my VG20 rig which I custom built for a recent music video shoot in Kyoto, Japan. These particular shots show the Vg20 with my Zeiss 24mm wide angle connected via a C/Y to NEX Speed Booster and a Schneider Optics Digicon 1/2 filter in the Matte box. Evening settings were: lens wide open at F2.8, focus at infinity, frame rate 50i, shutter 1/50th, zebras a5 100% with gain set to Auto but with +/- ajustments via the user thumb wheel.

The other two 'location' shots show the VG20 rigged for telephoto shooting with separate/synched audio.