View Full Version : HFG 10 Zoom ring?

Gerald Webb
May 8th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I have a LEGRIA (PAL version) HFG10 and had cause to use the front ring as a manual zoom, went diving into the menu to change it and cant find how.
Am I being blind?
I just had a quick Google and it seems they mention that the G20 and G30 can change between zoom and focus, but I cant find reference to the G10.
If it doesnt, does anyone know of a firmware update that may enable this.

Bryan Worsley
May 9th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Not sure if you are saying that you did it before and can't figure how you did or are querying whether it is possible.

I only got my Vixia HFG10 a few weeks back, but like you, can see no mention of being able to use the focus ring as a zoom controller - looked in my hard-copy of the Instruction Manual and an online pdf version, which are exactly the same.

According to the manual (Zooming, p51 in my copy), quote:

"There are three ways you can zoom in and out: using the zoom lever on the camcorder, using the zoom buttons on the wireless controller or using zoom controls on the touch screen"

Can't see any mention of it either for the digital zoom, not that I've used it.

I've wondered too if there might have been firmware updates for the HFG10.

The HFG10 "firmware link" just opens the Drivers and Software page on the Canon website. I can see there a recent firmware update (released 30/4/14) for XA-25/XA-20/HF G30 Firmware Version 1.0.4.0 (Windows), but nothing for the HF-G10 specifically.

I get the impression the HF-G20 was the 'firmware upgrade' for the HFG10 (wink).

Gerald Webb
May 11th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks Bryan,
No, havent used the ring for zoom on that cam, just cant believe that it wont do it.
Im half inclined to try the g20 firmware upgrade, most likely brick it though.
Ill keep looking for a sec hand G20 or 30 that can zoom with ring.
Cant ever have enough cams now can we? :)

Bryan Worsley
May 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Cant ever have enough cams now can we? :)

Unfortunately, as a "budget and domestically constrained" home videographer, I (or my conscience) can only justify the one - hence I'm now having to sell my HV30 to back-finance the HFG10.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/f-ebay/523205-sale-canon-vixia-hv30-raynox-hd-6600pro-55-wa-converter.html#post1844816

I know, I can hear the violins.

BTW - I don't think I'd want to risk that HF-G20 firmware upgrade on my HF-G10.