View Full Version : PMW-100, 150, and 200 to be discontinued

Andrew Smith
May 9th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Today I spoke to my professional video camera purveyor of choice and they tell me that these Sony models (and some others) are going to be discontinued in order to consolidate a range of approximately 25 video camera models. These will be replaced by a single model with all of the features of those cameras .... and probably costing more as a result.

The PMW-300 is safe. :-D

I have no idea of what the timeline for this is. The above is as much as I have heard.

Andrew

Andy Wilkinson
May 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Sort of makes sense as Sony have a habit of spitting out lots of camera variants then seeing what sticks. Probably should be in the Area 51 section until it gets confirmed - but at least it seems my beloved PMW-300 is safe for now!

Dave Blackhurst
May 9th, 2014, 09:56 PM
It sounds pretty likely, simply due to a shrinking market - they already gutted out many of the "consumer" lines,cutting available options of "Handycam" and "Cybershot" cameras by 30%+ over the last couple years. There's probably a fair amount of corporate pressure to improve profits...

One "exception" to the cutbacks in "lines" seem to be the RX and AX lines with the new 1" sensor, but those have unique appeal and little competition. They also have been been "hits", while some of the other "traditional" camera lines have withered in the face of phones/tablets/phablets being the primary "consumer" image acquisition device.

The situation is a bit different in "pro" lines, but I'm sure there is pressure there as well to improve profits and reduce costs of manufacturing multiple models!

Andrew Smith
May 9th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I was a little surprised that the PMW-200 was on the chopping block as it is the one that has been selling like crazy here in Australia, whereas the PMW-300 that I have purchased had to be ordered directly from Sony in Japan as my supplier doesn't keep stock of it locally.

On the other hand, the PMW-200 might already have a limited sales life as it is not upgradable to the next generation XAVC codec. Doesn't matter so much now, but in the coming years it would definitely be noticed.

Andrew

Jack Zhang
May 10th, 2014, 02:45 AM
I just wish they keep the 1/2'' sensor form factor going with fixed lens cameras. The upcoming one that does XAVC out of the box is 1/3'', and seeing improved 1/2'' sensors would be very nice.

Matt Sharp
May 15th, 2014, 12:41 AM
I know it's a 1/3" camera so it doesn't quite match the 200, but is the PXW-X180 the intended replacement for these?

Andrew Smith
May 15th, 2014, 12:48 AM
My understanding is that it will be a completely new model.

Andrew

Glen Vandermolen
May 15th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I can see Sony making a PMW-200 replacement that's basically the PXW-X180 with 1/2" sensors. It'd need a new body, of course, since the chips are bigger.

If this rumor is true, the PMW-200 certainly didn't have the long life its predecessor, the EX1/1R had.