View Full Version : Connecting XLH1a to Atomos Ninja 2

Norman Woo
May 19th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Hi Folks

I'm searching for a tapeless solution for my XLH1a.

The Canon FS-CF Pro is no longer available. So is the Sony HVR-MRC1K.

By Chance I saw the Atomos Ninja 2 which uses both HD/SSD solution.

The only catch is that the input to the Ninja 2 is HDMI. When I did a search on the web for xlh2a and hdmi I do see vendors selling a mini-HDMI->HDMI cable for the XLH1a.

The question is where is this mini-hdmi port on the XLH1a? The manual doesn't show it.

Or do I need some sort of component/BNC/... to HMDI converter?

Is anyone using an XLH1a with the Ninja 2?

Thanks in advance
Norman

Mark Watson
May 19th, 2014, 02:31 AM
You can still get the FS-CF Pro from B&H, they show it in stock.
Canon FS-CF Pro Portable Compact Flash DTE Recorder 1751V350 B&H

There's also the Datavideo recorder, which looks like it will do the Canon frame rates, but I have no experience with this one. I have the Firestore recorder which is designed to work with Canon HDV cameras.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/700092-REG/Datavideo_DN_60_DN_60_Digital_CF_Card.html
There's no HDMI port on the camera.

Mark

Danny McCarthy
May 20th, 2014, 02:32 PM
The Ninja 2 will only accept HDMI or SDI. The BNC connector on the camera you mention outputs composite video and the Ninja will not accept it.

My semi-retired XH-A1 has a similar BNC connector and it can't output to my Ninja.

Maurice Covington
August 9th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Actually, both the XHA1 and the XLH1a can output to either the Samarai, Samurai Blade, Ninja, Ninja 2, Nija blade, etc. To do this, you will need to purchase the Blackmagic Analog to SDI mini converter. The converter can be purchased at B&H for about $185.00. Once you attach this converter, you can then go directly to any of the Atomos products that receive the SDI or you can go a step further and purchase the SDI to HDMI converter from Atomos and use one of the HDMI Atomos units. While I haven't personally used this configuration yet, I'm told it works well which is why I will be placing my order sometime this week. If you need to be mobile, there is additional stuff that you will need to make this until work as it, the Blackmagic mini converter, is powered.

I don't personally recommend the FS-CF given the old technology, the expense of CF cards over SSD's and the mere fact that the manufacturer of the FS-CF is out of business now.

Sander Vreuls
August 9th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I must also point out that a CF pro device that uses firewire does not improve the quality of the video recorded.. since the firewire stream is allready compressed..

Going analog (HD or SD component that is) or (HD-)SDI to a recorder improves the quality of the recording..

Maurice Covington
August 9th, 2015, 09:52 AM
If I understand your post, this is a great point and is consistent with what I will do in converting from the analog signal to the HD digital signal. I bought the XLH1a really cheap. Had I done my research, I probably would have gotten another XLH! or paid the extra cash of the XLH1s.