View Full Version : Hello from Suffolk, England

Dave Baker
May 24th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Hello all,

I am a retired air conditioning engineer. I have been a photographer since I was big enough to use a Kodak box camera, always strictly amateur, until a few years ago when I had the feeling that maybe I would like to try movies.

My current favourite camera is a Canon HF G30 which I am still learning to drive, I also have an EOS 60D, HF S100 and I still have my old Panny NV-GS250.

I am a Linux user and my favourite NLE is Kdenlive, which poses a question already. Where would I post on this subject if I need to, I have only found Mac, Windows/PC and cross platform sections here?

I am looking forward to getting involved in some of the discussions here.

Dave

Gary Nattrass
May 24th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Welcome to the forum Dave as well as the pro cameras I have a Canon HF11 that is a super little camera!

Dave Baker
May 25th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Thanks Gary.

I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago, visiting Locomotion in Shildon and Beamish museum. Lovely countryside.

Dave

Gary Nattrass
May 25th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Were you up seeing Mallard 75 and it's five friends?

It's a great museum as is Beamish and I have been a few times, I have even worked on a few outside broadcasts and film shoots there too!

Dave Baker
May 25th, 2014, 02:39 AM
I missed the 6, there were just Dwight D Eisenhower and Dominion Of Canada left, still worth seeing though.

We spent a day at Beamish, but there simply was not enough time to see it all. While totally different in character, it reminds me of Blist's Hill in Shropshire, which is a similar idea. Both are incredibly interesting to visit.

Thinking of your HF11, you'd have to remember the David Bailey Olympus Trip 25 ads to fully understand, I take it it's the professional's weekend camera?

Dave

Gary Nattrass
May 25th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Yes the HF11 is my personal handycam but is so good it has also been used as a B camera to the pro ones!

You need two days to do Beamish as there is so much, it has a lot of local heritage as the CO-OP shop was the one my Father went to and he showed me it before it moved, in fact I still shop at Tesco's in Anfield Plain were the original site was.

Their photographic archive is so big it will take many decades to scan and digitise it all and we have good friends who work there on heritage projects.

Dave Baker
May 25th, 2014, 01:34 PM
"Yes the HF11 is my personal handycam but is so good it has also been used as a B camera to the pro ones!"
Fascinating! I'd like to talk more about this, but obviously this is the wrong thread for that.

Yes, I found the CO-OP interesting. I remember as a child being sent to our local CO-OP to buy things and being made to memorise my mother's membership number so she could get her "divvy". I still remember that number! I seem to remember it was grocery only though, no haberdashery or hardware, I guess different regions had different ideas.

Dave

Chris Harding
May 26th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Welcome Dave

It certainly took a long time for you to get to DVInfo but you are now here.

I have a special affinity with Dave as the share the same birthday (day, month AND year) so we call ourselves "twins" even though we are somewhat distant!!

Enjoy the topics here!

Chris

Dave Baker
May 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Cheers Chris!

Yes, well the time seems right to come over. When I came home after 2 weeks away and found only four new posts on the other board, I realised that if I want to keep in touch and hopefully make new friends, I need to be somewhere else. As several folks I know are here, where else would I go?

Allan Black will laugh his socks off, he tried to get me to come here years ago when P3U went down!

Dave

Bryan Worsley
May 27th, 2014, 12:21 PM
And apparently I remind Dave of when he was a younger man with a young family and fixing stuff. But mostly I just bore everyone with tediously long posts.....on every forum.

Dave Baker
May 27th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Hey Bryan, it's the tenacity you show that does it. Folks thought I was mad to spend so much time trying to fix things, but I couldn't give up until I had covered every possible way, or discovered the item was totally unrepairable. Much like you. Of course, the technology was simpler then,

It was all worth it in the end, I spent the last 35 years of my working life as a mobile engineer, which is one reason I developed the attitude that If it doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's not fit for the job and it goes back from whence it came. If it doesn't suit my purpose and I can't send it back, or I can't get on with its way of working, I get one that will.

Dave

Bryan Worsley
May 27th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Well, I guess mine partly comes from an academic research and applied (biological) science background, followed by management - hence the endless testing, root cause analysis and self imposed quality control. The other part comes from struggling to make DV look good at a time when most had to moved to HD. I think if I got the most perfect camcorder I'd still find something to investigate. Still that's part of the fun....for me. BTW - my family is quite young, but I ain't so. Late starter there also.

Chris Harding
May 28th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Hey Dave

I rarely see Allen on here but if he does post you can be sure it will be in the Audio forum!

We need to convince Gramps to move over as well now!

Chris

Dave Baker
May 29th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Hi Chris,

I noticed he has not been active here for a while, but it will still amuse him when I tell him I have finally made the jump. He was a great mentor to me as Action on Pana3ccduser.

Brian? It would be nice, but somenow I doubt it. It's going to be lonely in the dinosaur cave. No-one has posted since I did a week ago and apart from you and Bryan, who I guess are just checking like me, I have only spotted Brian and two others logged in. He can always shout and listen to the echo!

Dave

Chris Harding
May 30th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Very true!

I have an idea that Tom Dickenson does also post very occasionally on DVInfo but I might be wrong.

Gramps in in your neck of the globe so maybe tell him where you also are.

I actually wonder how many videographers use Linux to do their editing.. if there were enough I'm sure Chris Hurd would be happy to create a forum for you guys.

Chris

Dave Baker
June 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Chris,

Yes you're right, I looked him up. Tom has about 85 posts to his name here.

I too would like to know how many folks use Linux for video editing. There must be enough to make it worthwhile for there to be several editing packages, my Linux editing thread on the other board has well over 20,000 views and the Video Help forum has a Linux section. There are several video sections in the Linux forums too.

I did ask where I should post Linux questions in my first post, but got no answer. I guess I would post in the Windows/PC section, since Linux is usually put on a PC and leave it up to admin to move it if they wish to.

Dave