View Full Version : Super Slow Motion playback overexposed on computer monitor...

Karel Bata
May 25th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I've only used this camera in super slow mo mode so I've no idea if this is a problem in other modes. I reckon it's a colour space issue so it probably is.

When I record stuff everything looks fine in the monitor, and all the highlights are just clipping in the histogram, but when I dump the material to my Mac and import into VLC or AE I get horrendously overexposed images.

Putting the card back in the camera, it looks fine on the monitor, and looks great on my TV via the HDMI.

What's going on? And what do I need to do to fix this? If this has been covered before then please point me to the appropriate thread.

Cheers! ;-)

Josh Becker
May 25th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Can you post a clip? or screenshots of the difference? Also, the only "IE" I'm aware of is Internet Explorer, so I'm not sure if you meant a different application.

My only thought could be that you're shooting into the 100-109 IRE range (super whites) and maybe whatever you're viewing it in is clipping those. Try putting the clips into Premiere (or whatever editor you use) and putting on a color corrector and bringing your highlight range down to 235 instead of 255. That might bring back some highlight detail.

That said, I don't think that difference would be anything that makes the image go from "fine" to "horrendously overexposed". I'd need to see pictures what what you're referring it.

Karel Bata
May 25th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Argh! I meant AE, as in After Effects. Corrected that now.

Here's photos for a comparison. Actually there's more detail visible in the second, but it hasn't come out here. All lost when I import into any application....

Colin Elves
May 27th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Looks like AE is clipping those super whites (the 100-109 IRE range). From what I understand AE doesn't like footage with super whites, it wants everything in the 16-100 range.