View Full Version : 4:2:2 uncompressed or SD Cards????

Mike James
June 1st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Does anyone using the JVC 700's through 850's use external recorders to get 4:2:2 uncompressed? Or is the difference in quality negligible?

Just wondering, $ investment wise if it would make a huge improvement in picture quality? On some shoots I would want everything I can get quality wise, on others I probably don't need the best of the best, the SD cards would work fine.

Thanks!

Mike Squires
June 3rd, 2014, 10:38 AM
We use both with our 790. For normal stuff, I'll shoot on the SD card. If I need the extra quality (like green screen shoots), I"ll use a Hyperdeck.

Mike James
June 4th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Then there is a noticeable visual difference between the two? I would guess for news it would be fine, but if you are looking to shoot a 1/2 hour documentary, it would be wise to shoot 422 uncompressed?

Thanks for the input! Mike

Mike Squires
June 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM
It really depends on what the subject of the documentary is. If there is a lot of movement, yeah, go for the higher bitrate or even uncompressed. But if there isn't, recording directly to the SD card may be just fine.

And even when I use the Hyperdeck, I'm capturing using the DNxHD codec at 220Mbps, not truly uncompressed.

Mike James
June 9th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info. It probably depends on how much storage space you want to fill up too?

Thanks!