View Full Version : Are all Camcorder's Tripod holes in the centre relative to the lens?

Wayne Kinney
October 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Hi,
Was just wondering, are all Camcorder's Tripod holes in the centre relative to the centre axis of the lens?

Im trying to build a univeral 15mm rods support system, as to connect to a 35mm adapter. If i place the screw on the support that screws onto the cam in dead centre, will all cams then be lined up to connect to the adapter? Or will the support need to be sideways adjustable to support different cams?

Like the micro35 rods, they seem the same with different cams on them?

Any help would be great...

Thanks,
Wayne.

Greg Boston
October 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi,
Was just wondering, are all Camcorder's Tripod holes in the centre relative to the centre axis of the lens?

Im trying to build a univeral 15mm rods support system, as to connect to a 35mm adapter. If i place the screw on the support that screws onto the cam in dead centre, will all cams then be lined up to connect to the adapter? Or will the support need to be sideways adjustable to support different cams?

Like the micro35 rods, they seem the same with different cams on them?

Any help would be great...

Thanks,
Wayne.

All of the higher end cameras, and some lower end ones will have the mounting hole centered on the lens axis. However, as an example, my Panasonic DV-953 has a mount that is not centered.

Hope this helps,

-gb-

Wayne Kinney
October 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Greg,
Thanks for your post, very helpful.

I guess that means the support im building needs to be sideways adjustable.

Thanks,
Wayne.

Bob Costa
October 8th, 2005, 04:04 AM
I always assumed that the hole would be "Weight-centered" on the camera. Otherwise could end up with torsional forces ripping your baseplate off, or not being able to do pans/tilts.

Wayne Kinney
October 8th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Bob,
Good point, but i think that only applies to front to end placement of the tripod hole? But good point, designers would place the hole with balance in mind, exactly the same way as i place my tripod mounting hole on my supoort (the one the connects to the tripod, not the cam) so the its placed on the centre of gravity.

Thanks,
Wayne.

Sean McHenry
October 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM
You shouldn't have that much weight shift from side to side that a solid tripod can't handle. Front to back, certainly but side to side, to allow for the offset of your mount, shouldn't be too far off center weight wise, especially on the smaller DV cameras. It might depend on the size/weight limit you see yourself placing on your device.

At some point, if you go from miniDV style cameras, like the AGDVX100A to something like a 2/3" 3-chip broadcast camera, the lens is a lot higher off the base plate too. You will likely have to come up with some sort of cut off in the size you want to build this for, or come up with accessories to accomodate large bodied cameras. You come up with different plates at different costs. A soild, center of lens mount for less than a right to left adjustable mount.

Sean McHenry