View Full Version : 4K/UHD camera settings in PAL Countries

Ronald Jackson
July 1st, 2014, 01:06 AM
I've just purchased a Lumix GH4, so a modest first step in the direction of 4K, with the next steps likely to be rather more expensive.

The camera provides for both NTSC and PAL modes in UHD as well as a 24p setting for 4K only.

I would eventually be editing in FCPX, with output for either the web or, more importantly,wildlife videos for projection by me to audiences such as wildlife enthusiasts.

Up until know everything I've done has been in 1080 25p, whether burned to a Blu-Ray or saved to a hard drive for projection via my Apple MacBook Pro Retina.

As BDs are out for 4K I will have to rely on my laptop for projection.

I'm finding it very difficult to get any meaningful 4K info from Apple other than that only the latest MBPs will output UHD/4K resolution signals and that these are either "30Hz" or "24Hz".

This leads to my question, which is that given the apparent limitations of outputting off a MBP would I be better using a UHD 30p setting and If so could this have an adverse impact given I live in PAL land?

Ron

Arnie Schlissel
July 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Honestly, if you're only goal is to project from your laptop, it doesn't matter. If you're looking to go to a DCP for cinema, then shoot 24fps. If you're looking to go to TV, then shoot 25fps.

Paul Mailath
July 3rd, 2014, 05:34 AM
The only problem is if you're shooting interiors with 50Hz lighting, if you're shooting wildlife outdoors then you don't have that problem