View Full Version : Has the FS100 always been $2,499?

Kyle Root
July 1st, 2014, 09:25 PM
Either B&H has changed the prices... or I've not seen the price correctly before...

Sony NEX-FS100U Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder NEX-FS100U B&H Photo

Josh Bass
July 1st, 2014, 11:47 PM
No way...that thing used to be like $5-6k!

At this price they should sell them in the checkout line at Target next to the gum and tic tacs.

Matt Davis
July 2nd, 2014, 01:00 AM
Crumbs, in the UK they're still around £2,600 including the 20% VAT. $2,499 looks like £1.5k, but then there's import duty and VAT. Even so, it feels like B&H are trying to clear stock. I wonder if the FS700 will get a drop too?

James Manford
July 2nd, 2014, 04:36 AM
Because the FS700 is 4K resolution ... I doubt it. Until they come out with a 8K resolution equivalent you won't see a big drop.

The FS100 is still the best bang for the buck. I would easily buy that over a EA50 any day of the week.

You can buy 2 or even 3 pre-owned FS100's for the price of a FS700 new.

Having said all that ... I own a FS700 (smug face)

Kyle Root
July 2nd, 2014, 05:45 AM
This week, I've been doing a lot of comparison between a lot of options and I'm pretty sure it was $3499/$3999 without/with a lens.

I was comparing it to the Canon C100. I think I'd really like the C100 - but money is the thing. At this price, I could buy 2 FS100s for the price of a C100.

A friend of mine already has a FS100, so that would be helpful for matching up when shooting together.

Hmmmm.... now what to do.

James Manford
July 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
You've answered the question yourself.

Buy the FS100.

I'm not a fan of Canon cameras.

My brother (a photographer) has both the 5D MK2 and MK3 and he comes as a second camera man occasionally for me when I take on larger events.

I hate matching the 5D MK3 in post with my FS700. Canon's just naturally have their own distinctive look that I don't like.

Phil Goetz
July 2nd, 2014, 08:39 AM
Yup. Price drop. We can match that price too.

Ryan Douthit
July 2nd, 2014, 04:23 PM
There goes the resale value on my FS100. Oh well. Great camera and that's an amazing price.

Les Wilson
July 2nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
Hopefully Sony has learned the importance of ND filters in this segment and the replacement model will have them. Add to it a good VF and an AF to compete with dual pixel and Sony will have something better than a C100.

Christophe Gryspeert
July 3rd, 2014, 01:24 AM
There goes the resale value on my FS100. Oh well. Great camera and that's an amazing price.

Unfortunately not for me. Europe...
I haven't seen those prices here.

James Manford
July 3rd, 2014, 03:22 AM
Unfortunately not for me. Europe...
I haven't seen those prices here.

Agreed, they still sell for £2000 used as a body only in the UK / Europe. You would be lucky to get one for less than that.

Samer Aslan
July 5th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Selling mine if anyone interested :)
here's a photo link:https://copy.com/aa1Be64fyGCooTxH
like new! only 12x10H operation hour
Samer

Chris Harding
July 5th, 2014, 09:32 PM
If only the FS100 (or FS700) had a decent form factor I would replace my EA-50's in a heartbeat.

How on earth do you guys handhold that square box ... I wonder why Sony made such a weird camera body. Now if they had put the bits and pieces into the EA-50 body we would have a workable handheld camera with a decent form factor.

No thanks, I'll keep my EA-50's for now and stick with fast lens.

Chris

Gabe Strong
July 6th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Chris,
It's not as bad as it looks, at least for me. Of course I'm a former NPPA TV news shooter
so I have 'use your tripod' drilled into my brain as shaky handheld stuff would lose
you a job real quick. But for shorter periods of time.....10-15 minutes it is just fine handheld.
That's all I need to knock out some B-roll shots. My FS700 probably goes 60% tripod,
25% handheld and 15% slider. No big deal. I guess it depends what you shoot, but
for me, this camera leaves the EA50 so far behind, that it might as well be the Broncos vs.
the Seahawks.

Chris Harding
July 6th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the insight Gabe.

Inside it's a work of art and I'd love a pair of these but at weddings apart from the ceremony and speeches I'm shooting hand held all the time and a shoulder mount camera pays huge dividends.

However I'm sure rigs exist that would make the FS series more friendly ..pity the viewing tube is on top and not on the side ..that would be hard to work into a rig unless you sprung for another HD LCD on the side

Love the low light performance ..it makes the 50 cringe in comparison and that's just the 100, I'm sure the 700 is even better.

Chris

Noa Put
July 6th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I guess it depends what you shoot, but
for me, this camera leaves the EA50 so far behind, that it might as well be the Broncos vs.
the Seahawks.

Unless you are talking about the price, here at least the fs700 is more then 3 times the price of a ea50, you get what you pay for. :)

Chris Harding
July 6th, 2014, 06:56 AM
From my dealer here the body only prices are :

FS100 - $4700.00
FS700 - $8700.00

Like Noa says they are a big step up financially for us poor guys even if we use our current lenses. My guy has them with the 18-200 lens inclusive but around $1K extra.

As an example I got my EA-50's from them for $3990.00 and the FS100 would have been $5700.00 and the FS700 doesn't give you much change out of $10K!!!

Chris

Gabe Strong
July 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah that price! Ouch! I got really lucky as I found a FS700 demo unit with less than 10 hours of use
(meter still read 0) that I got for $6200 a year ago.....and it came with full Sony warranty from
a board sponsor. Even that was hard to swing, but because it was such a good deal I jumped on it.
I also have a VG20 as a B camera which is nice because it is so small and light, and I think the
video from the VG20 is roughly comparable to the EA50.

Again, it depends what you shoot. I do probably 5-10 weddings a year tops. I do much more
corporate work, mainly because they pay and don't try to 'talk down' your rates. Corporate clients
will even pay me just as much as they pay a corporate photographer (gasp!). For long periods of handheld,
the EA50 would be the best. The FS series can be improved a little by performing the 'loupe mod '
But if you use a big lens you will need a rig. I will have more about my experiences on the road shooting
two corporate projects using the FS700 and VG 20 on my blog soon.

David Barnett
July 7th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Whoa, just saw an ad on this on my FB wall. Man, I wanted to hold off until next year for upgrading cause I bought some stuff last year (VG20 B camera, slider, glidecam etc) that I was hoping for this year to be all profit:/

My only concern is the lack of feasability of selling the Z5U. Alot of em on ebay right now, which good be a good thing or a bad thing (ie, they sit unsold for a long period of time). I love the cam, but the mixing of HDV & AVCHD is a pain. We'll see, if I can hold off a few days I'm sure the impulse buy factor will wane.

Cliff Totten
July 10th, 2014, 05:11 AM
I suspect Sony is now burning off is final FS100 stock pile. Sony didnt even show the FS100 on the floor this year at NAB.

This could also be a sign that the FS100 successor is preparing to hit the streets soon.

Im betting we see a 4k "FS200" this fall at IBC.

Im 100% certain that there will be another camera that uses the same 12mp A7s sensor too. Sony rarely ever makes a sensor for one camera model only. They typically share them on 2 or 3 models.

For the price today? I think the FS100 is a steal.

Monday Isa
July 10th, 2014, 09:29 AM
...This could also be a sign that the FS100 successor is preparing to hit the streets soon.

Im betting we see a 4k "FS200" this fall at IBC.

Im 100% certain that there will be another camera that uses the same 12mp A7s sensor too. Sony rarely ever makes a sensor for one camera model only. They typically share them on 2 or 3 models.

For the price today? I think the FS100 is a steal.
2 more months to go, to see what they do if anything. Because of IBC coming up I'm holding off on this cam as a backup. Such a good deal.

Erwin Vanderhoydonks
July 18th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Hmmmm.... now what to do.

The FS100 can be used with other lenses like the Canon FD lenses. With an adapter.
Also other lenses can be used.
I use them all the time.
The C100 can only take Canon lenses. No bad but expensive.

Chris Harding
July 19th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Hi Erwin

According to an enquiry to B&H these units on special are NTSC only so you would be shooting in 60i and 30P and 60P not what you are used to with 50i, 25P and 50P ...My mate Geoff went to order on and he was told that although they are 1080 60 you can get Sony workshops to switch them over to 50 BUT it has to be done by Sony so not really good if you are shooting in different countries and formats.

Chris

Shaun Roemich
July 19th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Because the FS700 is 4K resolution ... I doubt it. Until they come out with a 8K resolution equivalent you won't see a big drop.

Sort of. It will be the next incremental upgrade that lowers the price on the FS700, or at least the lead up to one. That incremental upgrade will NOT be 8k. Guaranteed. I'll place money on that. It MAY happen that the next incarnation records 4k internally but a jump to 8k in the next model? Nope.

James Manford
July 19th, 2014, 11:20 AM
You're right.

A 4K FS750 that does it all internally without the huge external recorder or Odyssey add on.

Shaun Roemich
July 19th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I believe what we are "waiting" on now is a reliable storage medium with appropriate bandwidth to "win" the storage war. CFast perhaps? XQD? I can't see Sony using the SxS in the FS line.

Dmitri Zigany
July 19th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I wonder if the FS700 will get a drop too?
The FS700 got a slight drop when the FS700R/H models were released, I believe!

Doug Jensen
July 21st, 2014, 08:38 AM
In case anyone is interested, I've got a nearly brand new Hot Rod Camera PL Lens Mounting kit for Sony NEX-FS100 that I'll sell for $800 (normally $1700) and I'll throw in a Berkey top plate too. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Vortex Media Used Gear for Sale (http://www.vortexmedia.com/used/UsedGear1.html)

Matt Sharp
August 3rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
I'm betting the FS100 replacement will stay HD but gain XAVC like all the newer ENG cameras.