View Full Version : For Video which Nikon beats Canon 5d mark iii

Michael Rangel
July 13th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Which Nikon(lowest price) beats the Canon 5D iii for making video, Nikon 800E?

Chris Harding
July 13th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Hi Michael

I don't think any Nikon at this stage will perform as well as the 5DIII when it comes to video. Nikon have never designed a still camera optimised for video. What will work as well or even better is the new Sony A7S ... with standard ISO up to 200, 000 it's a killer camera BUT I'm assuming you, like me, are already using Nikon so have Nikon mount lenses? The A7S means all new lenses and for me I don't want to have to do that as my Nikon mount lenses suit me.

I don't like the tiny form factor of DSLR's for video (I use my Nikons for stills only!) BUT I use my Nikon lenses via a dumb adapter on my Sony EA-50 cameras so I have a "proper" video camera that uses my Nikon lenses.

Seriously, if you want to shoot video on a DSLR for a small amount of money (under $1K) look at the Panasonic FZ1000 ... It even shoots in 4K which the Canon cannot do ...an awful amount of camera for the money (and no lenses needed either!) and it has an autofocus in video mode that really works too!!!

Chris

Michael Rangel
July 14th, 2014, 12:55 AM
I was told that Canon didn't even make its own lenses anymore people hunted on Ebay for the old lenses, and that the Nikon lenses were better for video. So I was thinking Nikon. I was considering ENG camera now forget it.

I'll consider that sony.

Robert Benda
July 14th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I was told that Canon didn't even make its own lenses anymore people hunted on Ebay for the old lenses, and that the Nikon lenses were better for video. So I was thinking Nikon. I was considering ENG camera now forget it.

I'll consider that sony.

What?! Of course Canon still makes its own lenses. Of course, now there are 3rd party makers who have created some pretty good lenses that fit Canon (and other) brands, like Sigma.

Perhaps, Michael, you'd like to share what you want the camera for? I saw in another post you mentioned documentary and film making. Do you have a budget? Do you plan on mixing and matching cameras? Or two of the same (which gives you additional coverage options AND a backup)?

If you like the DSLR systems, and have a budget that allow for GH4 or Sony A7S for their 4k (nevermind the cameras/lenses themselves, the media will be additional hurdles) they have an advantage of high res, so you could shoot a little wide then crop, or the huge low light advantage of the A7S.

If you had a low budget, then a pair of gently used 5d Mark iis would cost $2000 or so, has Magic Lantern to fix some quibbles, and a ton of modestly priced lenses, both Canon brand and others. The 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8 are $300 or so each, and go nicely with the old nifty fifty for $110.

Or, I'm curious to know if there is a DSLR with as good an autofocus as the Canon 70D, but you have to be careful about what lens you want to use with it, because many aren't smooth enough. If low light isn't going to be an issue, but money is, then the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 isn't a great lens, but its smooth, quiet, and super cheap.

Shaun Roemich
July 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I'll dissent from Chris and state categorically that for what I'm looking for, the image coming out of the D800 (non-E) is spectacularly better than what I've seen come out of the 5D mk3.

Canon DOES have the advantage of better 24P motion "artifacting" though in my opinion and also beats any Sony offering outside of the F-series cinema cameras IMHO.

Kyle Root
July 14th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I'm looking into all this stuff for weddings too, and even though i have a lot invested in Nikon glass, I'm stongly considering that new Panasonic FZ1000 - up to 400mm zoom built in, and on board 4K for $900 is pretty sweet from an event video perspective.

I have considered getting a D800, but the more I think about it, and the more I look at things, I think a D7100 would be sufficient for what I'm doing.

Is there a reason you want FX?

Chris Harding
July 15th, 2014, 01:29 AM
Hi Shaun

I was looking from a wedding perspective so a decent image with high ISO is critical. As good as the image is, in standard mode the 800 goes up to 6400 ...The Sony A7S in standard mode goes up to 100,000 and against the 800's highest setting of 25,000 the Sony can resolve an image at 400,000 ISO.

Don't take me wrong all my still cameras and lenses are Nikon !! I just wish they would bring out a dedicated DSLR video camera that could match the A7S ..it even blows the 5DIII out the water in really low light. I'm sure that the 800 would do way better than my APSC Sony EA-50's (I'm lucky to get to ISO 3200 for a really good image) but we really need a Nikon Cinema camera!!

Chris

Shaun Roemich
July 15th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Hi Shaun

I was looking from a wedding perspective so a decent image with high ISO is critical.

Hi Chris.

I thought you might be. I work under lights or available in reasonably lit environments so I NEVER shoot over 800 - 1600 ISO. As well, I'm looking for exceptional sharpness which is not where the 5D shines. A great image - just not what I'm looking for. had the D810 been announced with 4k, I would have jumped on it...

Chris Harding
July 16th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Hi Shaun I worked with the same photog on my last two June weddings and he showed me some video on the 800 in the Church shot a LOT higher ..probably close to 6400 were his words and it was stunning !

Then again it's still better to shoot your low light stuff with better optics rather than fancy camera processing. My Sony's come with an 18-200 zoom which is F3.5 -F6 so even a mediun zoom leaves you around F5 so I always ended up with using lights on the camera for handheld round-the-tables shots ..a bright LED light isn't the nicest thing to blind people with so it's not a good solution. If I push the Sony to 5000 ISO the image is noisy and rotten.

I bought one of the new Sigma ART lenses 18-35 and a constant F1.8 for my Nikon kit and with an adapter I can hook them into the Sony bodies and WOW! what a difference ..no light needed now as the venue light is more than enough!!

Seriously with a fast zoom on the 800 I cannot imagine that any venue would push the Nikon ISO past about 3200. My Sony's can produce a pretty darn good image with the fast zoom at 3200 and that's only an APS-C sensor ...I would suspect that the 800 would do the same but much better.

If only the camera was not the normally DSLR shape!!! I do a ton of handheld and a shoulder mount camera is essential ...With the EA-50 I have the DSLR format and lens interchangability with the form factor that makes shooting video so easy!

Chris

Chris Harding
July 16th, 2014, 05:24 AM
For the original post topic. You could do a LOT worse than watch this video which tests the 5DIII, D4 and D800

Full frame shoot out: D4 vs D800 vs 5DmkIII - YouTube

Chris

Emmanuel Plakiotis
September 4th, 2014, 01:27 AM
I have both the D800 and the D5300. I think the image from D5300 is exceptional. And has 60p as well. For the money is a steal. I've made a crude test on set with a friends 5DIII and I think is overall better. But bear in mind that D5300 is only APC (1,5X crop)

Kyle Root
September 12th, 2014, 12:05 PM
The new D750 looks pretty sweet for HD video.

Kevin Brennan
September 15th, 2014, 12:49 PM
The d810 and d750 for FF

the d7100, 5200/5300 are also very very good video DSLRs

Corey Benoit
October 16th, 2014, 05:49 PM
The D810 is the best dslr on the planet for video. Straight up kills the 5d mark 3 in every aspect including true 1080 60p. It has a true cinema flat profile which I measured to be in the 13 stops dyanmic range. I did a review on it below. There is no dslr that will perform for video like this (except the 1DC).

Nikon D810 Review - YouTube

Matt Bigwood
October 22nd, 2014, 05:13 AM
My D800 has a horrible microphone pre-amp which is so bad it renders the use of an external mic impossible as there is so much white noise. There are lots of references to this online, and no real usable solution. There are times when it would be good to use a Rode Videomic to record ambient sound without having to worry about an external recorder.

I hope this has been corrected on the D810.

Roger Martin
March 8th, 2015, 08:19 AM
The D810 is the best dslr on the planet for video. Straight up kills the 5d mark 3 in every aspect including true 1080 60p. It has a true cinema flat profile which I measured to be in the 13 stops dyanmic range. I did a review on it below. There is no dslr that will perform for video like this (except the 1DC).

Perhaps, but I like some of the features on my D5300 better and the D750 is cheaper.
Since getting my GH4 (only need the 12-35 lens), Nikon has not come up with anything that compels me to get another body. Everything since the D5300 including the D5500 and D7200 seem to be just a refresh with off the shelf parts. I am still waiting for a new Nikon DX or FX DSLR or MirrorLess camera actually "optimized" for Video.

Marcus Martell
March 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM
Roger i agree with you! Do you think the d7100 kit price will decrease with the d7200 out in the stores?
Thanks

Kyle Root
March 17th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I just got my D750 yesterday. Awesome so far!

The D7100 is $699 refurb. I'd go that route if going for the D7100.

Aya Okawa
April 5th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Hi Kyle,
How are you liking the 750 for video?

Jason McCormy
April 5th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Greetings.

I bought a Nikon D5500 yesterday instead of the 750. Same processor, works with my DX lenses, dedicate HDMI out that is CLEAN. And it looks like this 799 camera with the Atomos Ninja 2 is putting out the best 1080p 10 bit 422 color footage I have seen.

I am able to monitor audio using the Atomos and can technically take both the mic input from the camera to it through the HDMI and plug another 2 channels of mics into it directly from the Atoms. Total cost for the Atomos when I got it was 699 delivered.

This combined with the 799 and the ability to use all my DX lenses AND have it be light weight with fantastic Nikon quality (and this new flat image is incredible) and I think I have one hell of a freaking camera for 1500.

Just something to think about. It appears that Nikon has brought their game with this. And I have a gorgeous articulated screen.

Kyle Root
April 6th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Hi Kyle,
How are you liking the 750 for video?

I'm liking it pretty good. I've not been a DSLR video shooter, so there are some quirks for me... but I'm glad I got the D750 and plan to use it a lot this year for bridal prep and reception coverage.

You can read my thoughts on it here:

Kyle Root Imaging (http://www.kyleroot.com/blog)

Vincent Oliver
April 16th, 2015, 03:31 AM
OMG, do you really take all that gear with you on a wedding?

Where to you keep the Mule whilst you are filming?

Joking apart, a very informative Blog

Kyle Root Imaging (http://kyleroot.com/blog/)

Kyle Root
April 16th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Yes, except for the memory cards. I only take the ones I need (about 6, plus a couple spares). All those batteries are required to run everything and they all go, and there are of course extras. But they all go.

It looks like a lot, but I fit everything (cameras/audio/lights) into 2 pelican hard cases, and 2 smallish camera bags. And that's just MY gear.

My main second shooter also has 3 heavy duty bogen triopods just like my 1 big one, 2 XF300s, 1 5DMII, 1 Sony a7s, and assorted lenses and brings all that in a Thinktank Logistics Manager.

My third shooter is the one with the Sony FS100, Steadicam (vest style), and 15' jib.

I'd rather bring it all, than show up and be missing something or need something. lol

Roger Van Duyn
April 16th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Wow Kyle!

You did a great job with that blog post. I've told people who've asked what determines prices, but never got around to writing it up that well. It's kind of explained on my pricing page, but they still ask the question. So, I just give them the general reply, the more gear the job requires, and the more work (not just time, but difficulty), the more it costs. If something really is quick and easy, I do it pretty cheap. But it's seldom really simple and easy. Prices are appropriate for the type of project. Not just weddings, but also for my corporate clients.

You really did a great job explaining the pricing concept.

Sorry for drifting a little off topic. But I really am starting to use a Nikon a little for video.

Kyle Root
April 16th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks.

I'm shooting a promo starting next week and I'll be exclusively using the D750 with the 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8, and 70-200 VR2. So, I hope it does well for that. LOL

I'll bring the Nikon 1V1 and FT1 as backup (love that they both use EN EL15 batteries).

Nikon just offered an additional $300 rebate of the D750. I wish I had waited a month! It's even sweeter at $1,996 now. Only $700 over the D7200.

Vincent Oliver
April 17th, 2015, 02:22 AM
Nikon just offered an additional $300 rebate of the D750. I wish I had waited a month! It's even sweeter at $1,996 now. Only $700 over the D7200.

Then again, if you had waited another 6 months or a year you could have got it cheaper still, but think how much you can earn with it right now, the $300 saving will seem like peanuts.

Chris Joy
April 20th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Just made the jump from a 5d3 to the D750. I'm still trying to learn where everything is in the menu and get used to Nikon's ergonomics, but so far I'm impressed. Stills-wise there's no comparison, the Sony sensor is way ahead of Canon's. The AF is faster and better in low light, but the coverage is less than the 5d3. You will not be able to move your focus point as close to the edge of the frame with the D750.

Video-wise, the D750 is definitely a notch above the 5d3, though it should be since its newer by a couple years. DR is better, the flat profile makes my meager grading skills look good and the smaller file sizes are nice. All cameras should have a tilt LCD, makes life so much easier. And you don't need two kinds of cards for one camera, another feature that makes life easier.

Moire and aliasing are well controlled and the image is sharper out of the camera than 5d3 footage sharpened in post. Nikon worked some magic with the new Expeed processor D750/810 as video IQ has significantly improved. 60p looks good and it has a built in timelapse function - so no external intervalometers or Magic Lantern needed.

The only drawback - everything goes in the wrong direction now, after a decade with Canon this is going to take some getting used to.

Vincent Oliver
April 21st, 2015, 01:00 AM

The only drawback - everything goes in the wrong direction now, after a decade with Canon this is going to take some getting used to.

That should read "everything goes in a different direction now".

I have been a Nikon user since the Nikon F (which I still have) and always found them to be very reliable. I also bought the Nikon D1 and D90 which was my main stills camera up until this year, although I did buy this for the video function, I never actually used it for that. The D750 is awesome for stills and so far for video it is looking very good, I still have to get used to it as I also have a comprehensive collection of camcorders and accessories etc. Now with DSLR's I can travel about with less bulky equipment and hopefully still produce excellent video quality.

The one thing not pointed out, is that almost all older style Nikon lenses will work with the D750, these give you full manual focusing and aperture control. In my tests the older lenses perform brilliantly with video (and stills). Look on eBay and you will find many lens bargains.

Kyle Root
April 21st, 2015, 05:07 AM
Yesterday was day 1 of a 4 day high school senior shoot for a photographer friend of mine. She has asked me to make a highlight reel of the 4 days.

This was the first time I had a chance to use the D750 for video in good light..... completely blown away by the video quality of it and the kit 24-120 F4. I used the standard picture profile and auto WB2 setting (the one that keeps tones warm) and it did a fantastic job.

There is something to be said for the look that the FF sensor gives. To me, it is a beautiful look, almost 3D-ish in a sense, that smaller sensor sizes don't seem to give.

This is an iPhone picture of my monitor from last night when I was reviewing clips. Really great camera for video for sure!

I could not be more pleased and now that the price has dropped, I think I may pick up another one!

Chris Joy
April 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM
That should read "everything goes in a different direction now".

I have been a Nikon user since the Nikon F (which I still have) and always found them to be very reliable. I also bought the Nikon D1 and D90 which was my main stills camera up until this year, although I did buy this for the video function, I never actually used it for that. The D750 is awesome for stills and so far for video it is looking very good, I still have to get used to it as I also have a comprehensive collection of camcorders and accessories etc. Now with DSLR's I can travel about with less bulky equipment and hopefully still produce excellent video quality.

The one thing not pointed out, is that almost all older style Nikon lenses will work with the D750, these give you full manual focusing and aperture control. In my tests the older lenses perform brilliantly with video (and stills). Look on eBay and you will find many lens bargains.

That's a little tongue in cheek, which gets lost in translation on the interweb. I've used older AiS lenses before and I'm planning on getting a few for video - they are great video/budget cine lenses.

Wacharapong Chiowanich
April 22nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
completely blown away by the video quality of it and the kit 24-120 F4.

Hi Kyle, that looks lovely off the screen! Have you tried continuous AF in the video mode yet? Did it do OK regarding the responsiveness, hunting, noise etc? I am looking to get a video DSLR to shoot some celebrity events and will need the AF to do well. I don't expect it to be as good as that on the Canon 70D or Sony A 77 Mk2 (A-mount APS-C) but would like it to be useable in circumstances that don't allow me to manual focus.

There's a good deal too in my area for the same camera/lens kit combo that you have.

Kyle Root
April 23rd, 2015, 05:13 AM
I just now figured out how to enable that. It looks like it does pretty well for stationary objects. I'm going to experiment with moving people soon. Very interesting.