View Full Version : Subway Kit and the Tripod Quandary

Pages : [1] 2

Craig Seeman
August 3rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
I continue my quest for the ultimate Subway kit. The goal being able to carry everything myself sans even a taxi.

The kit now looks like
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Lens may be Panasonic f2.8 12-35mm, Nikon Metabones Speedbooster, Nikon f1.8 50mm, Nikon f2.8 35mm. I may add Sigma f1.8 18-35 instead of a couple of of the above lenses.
Lights are Two DigitalJuice 128s. 1 Litepanels Sola ENG, 1 Airbox inflatable soft box.

Tripod is Sachtler legs with FSB6 head which is too heavy.
Surprisingly while I normally wouldn't consider Velbon "professional" I had a chance to use a Velbon DV-7000 and found it quite passible (keeping in mind I'm not doing much panning during these shoots).
Velbon DV-7000 Tripod with 2-Way Fluid Head DV7000 B&H Photo

Also on my list may be an Edelkron Slider Pro Medium
edelkrone 24" SliderPLUS V2 Medium 80507 B&H Photo Video
but I may need to stick with my heavy legs for that.

Jim Andrada
August 3rd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Have you looked at Libec legs? I'm happy with mine. Actually I've had good luck with a Ries wooden tripod I found 2nd hand - normally use it for 8 x 10 inch stills, but it does better than "just sort of OK" with my BMCC and a Manfrotto head. Both the above might be overkill for a BMPCC though.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I have in a pinch put the BMCC and a small Manfrotto head on a light weight Giotto's tripod that packs down to 16" or so. Not ideal but it all fits in a carry-on roller bag when I fly.

Kevin McRoberts
August 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
One of my main clients has me do a lot of work at hospitals and universities where they love to place parking as far an humanly possible from wherever you actually need to go. To that end over the last ~5 years, I've developed a highly portable kit that I've wound up using on a few flight jobs as well. General rundown:

Pelican 1514 case: (can also fit easily in a medium Tamrac backpack I own, I prefer the rolling 1514 for pavement jobs)
- GH2 body
- 14-140, 12-35, PL25/1.4, Tokina 11-16+SpeedBooster, Micro-Nikkor 55
- Rode VMP, Sennheiser EW100-G2 wireless lav
- CamAdapter microscope adapter kit OR Marantz PM660 audio recorder OR Lowel Pro-Light OR 2x Lowel V-light
- 2x Z96 LEDs w/ NP770 batteries OR Lowel Pro-Light w/ barn doors; small Gorillapod; Superclamp w/ flex arm
- batteries, diopter lenses, VND, +4 ND, pens, chargers, card reader, SD card case, audio cables, earbuds, etc

Manfrotto 'MBAG90P' tripod bag
- Manfrotto 755XB legs w/ 701 head
- Kessler Pocket Dolly, 2' OR Lowel RIFA 55
- 2x mini light stands; 2x white umbrellas for Lowel lights
- inline dimmer, Pro-light/RIFA power cords, 12' stinger, cheater plug & triple tap, 10' XLR cable

If no lighting is necessary, I've got an ultra-small kit that fits into a UTG messenger bag with a padded insert and just sling the tripod... but let's face it, light is always necessary.

I've also worked with a MeFoto Globetrotter tripod with the Manfrotto 701 head which worked surprisingly well and was much more compact than the 755 legs... no ballhead, though.

Jim Andrada
August 3rd, 2014, 06:05 PM
The MeFoto is exactly the same as the Giotto's I mentioned above - exact same thing. Much better than you might think for the price/weight.

Craig Seeman
August 3rd, 2014, 10:41 PM
Libec TH-650DV weighs 7lbs.
Libec TH-650DV Head/Tripod with Brace, Pan Handle & TH-650DV

Giottos BL1150N also weighs in a 7lbs.
Giottos 3-Section Video Tripod w/Leveling Ball BL1150N B&H Photo

MeFOTO Globe Trotter at 4.6lbs (headless of course).
MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod Kit (Black) A2350Q2K B&H Photo

Monfrotto 701HDV head seems to be going away.
Seems 755XB has 500 as "equivalent." Head 2lbs and legs at 5.5lbs for a total of 7.5lbs
Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Head & 755XB Tripod MVH500AH,755XBK

All these significantly lighter than my Sachlter carbon fiber with FSB6 head at just over 11lbs.

BTW I also have Rode VideoMicPro as well as Sennheiser EW100 ENG G3 with Lav and handheld base. Using a Beyer Dynamic MT88.

Other lights are Lowell Pro, Lowell Omni, Riffa 66 with conversion kit so I can switch it to flo as needed. Also two Totas with umbrellas.
All this means time to use the car though and, sometimes, an assistant as well for me but that breaks the Single Person Crew rule in my case.

Other stuff that may come with me is a cheap Impact boom which can hang my 6x8 portable green screen or hair light or mic.

So my goal is have just camera bag, tripod bag, lights bag and be able to carry it up/down a couple flights of stairs on a subway. That's why I'm looking to shave off as much poundage as possible.

Kevin McRoberts
August 5th, 2014, 11:14 AM
That's why I use an "oversized" camera bag and tripod bag for their respective tripod and camera... I can then ditch the light bag, even on interview setups. The RIFA55 and 2 stands fit in the tripod bag alongside the smallish tripod, and a pro light for rim or background goes into the camera case. One soft key, one backlight, and maybe spring-clamp a small collapsible reflector/bounce to a chair (forgot to mention that bit in the kit, because it takes almost no space) for fill. Bang: 3 lights, no extra case.

At the risk of horn-tooting, here's a mess of samples with almost that exact gear, almost all o-solo-me-o:
Interview Reel (2013) | McBob.TV (http://mcbob.tv/2014/07/10/interview-reel-2013/)

Craig Seeman
August 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Hmm, you can fit all that in this (newer version)
MBAG90PN
Manfrotto MBAG90PN Padded Tripod Bag MB MBAG90PN B&H Photo Video

7.1 x 9.06 x 33.5" (18 x 23 x 85.1cm)

I believe this is what my Sachtler sits in
Sachtler DV 75 S Padded Bag 9108 B&H Photo Video

36.2 x 8.3 x 7.1" (92.0 x 21.0 x 18.0 cm)

So I might be able to squeeze into that. It's almost worth starting a thread on Packing for the Single Person Crew.

Nice interviews. It looks as if you might be using a background light on a couple of them. Wouldn't that mean bringing one more light?

Kevin McRoberts
August 7th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks Craig... as to the '3rd light'... yes; sometimes another Pro-Light or one of the Z96 LED's (both very small), or often just another light at the location (gooseneck desk lamps, recessed lights if they work, other lamps, windows gelled or otherwise, etc)

One note on the RIFA and how it packs well with an umbrella... that little cardboard tube meant to roll up the diffuser for the RIFA? Ditch it and use a folded up umbrella instead. Also make sure to roll up any diffusion or CTB/O gels with the RIFA diffuser.

Jase Tanner
August 8th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I recently purchased these 2 items:

Varavon 103HD Fluid Video Head VASC-103HD B&H Photo Video

Gitzo GT1542T Series 1 Traveler 6x Carbon Fiber GT1542T B&H

The head was a mistake. No drag control on the pan at all and its one "setting" provides virtually no resistance.

The legs are great even if I'm not so sure I'd load them up to rated capacity. Very light, folds up incredibly short (I wanted something I could put in a backpack. Also with a centre column for quickly changing the height). I've used it with a GH3, cage, juiced link and DP4 with viewfinder.

Upon opening up the box I was initially concerned at how thin the legs were, but I haven't found flex to be an issue. Not cheap. Now I'm on the hunt for the right head.

Craig Seeman
August 9th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Kevin, are you packing an egg crate for the Rifa as well? I assume so to control spill.

Jase, what I'm finding is that heads with both tilt and pan drag control tend to be on the heavier side.

Manfrotto 502HD is about 4 lbs for example.
Manfrotto 502HD Pro Video Head with 75mm Half-Ball MVH502A B&H
Benero S6 is closing in on 6 lbs
Benro S8 Pro Video Head with Flat Base S8 B&H Photo Video

Kevin McRoberts
August 10th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Yes, the 30 degree variety

Jase Tanner
August 11th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Craig, I've had my eye on both of those Manfrottos. I've got a much older 501. Certainly better than the varavon but I can't say I really like it. Any idea how it would compare to the ones you reference?

I did try the Benro S6 which only has fixed pan drag but returned it, as I should have with the Varavon. Its probably fair to say the S8 would be better given the variable drag.

I also have a Rifa but with a 40 degree egg crate on it. Nice light although I haven't used it in a while as its in pieces. Its the older version and I took it apart to put in the CFL upgrade but then changed my mind as it seemed fussing around with CFLs would defeat the whole portability benefit of that light.

BTW, if you haven't tried it, the Sigma f1.8, 18-35 is a nice lens. Heavy and big mind you. I've used it on both my GH3 and pocket camera. And if you do go that route and don't already have an adapter I think its worth getting a decent one. The first one I got, fotodiox I think it was but not sure, would fit on the pocket cam but not the Gh3. Maybe just bad luck but ended up with a metabones, not the speedbooster, just the straight adapter.

Craig Seeman
August 11th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Manforotto heads would probably be too heavy for what I'm looking for unfortunately. My Sachtler with FSB6 head is my "heavy artillery."

The Dracast 17A has piqued my interest at 6.4 lbs
Dracast DVT - 17A Video Tripod with Fluid Head DVT-17A B&H Photo

It seems to have pan and tilt controls adjusting the "resistance." Perhaps they've found an inexpensive way to have some sort of drag control. I've seen their gear at trade shows and the build quality does seem good at low prices no less.

I have the CFL mode for my Rifa 66. Of course that would make it impossible to cart as a one person crew via subway. That and my Flolight 4 tubes will remain in my shoot studio, I suspect.

A transportable tungsten Rifa 66 seems possible but I really want to get away from baking the talent especially in some of the smaller offices I face and I'm not inclined to get a Rifa 44 or 55.

Sigma f1.8 18-35 is absolutely on my shopping list. Off topic but I'm facing another quandary as a result. I have Metabones Nikon SpeedBooster for BMPCC (and well as previously purchased MFT version). I'm thinking of getting the Canon SpeedBooster though given I may move to the BMP4K given I can still remain smallish with that.

Jase Tanner
August 12th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Dracast does look interesting. If you do get it, I'd be curious to hear what you think. Of late I've spent a little too much money returning things to B&H, so I doubt I'd spring for that without a good recommendation.

I also went the LED route after dismantling my rifa, one of which is a 128 but not from Digital Juice. Seems that model comes in a variety of rebrands but I do wonder, if in fact, they're all the same. A shoot that I was on some months ago, someone had brought in a version that cost considerably more than what I had got from LA ColorPro, yet seemed somewhat greener.

I've also got an air box. It may look a little goofy but brilliant concept and works well. The other next thing for me is a somewhat longer but fast zoom .

Craig Seeman
August 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM
The B&H risk on the Dracast 17A is that it's a special order supposedly with no return. They carry the 17 which seems to be the same head but with much heavier legs. I remember looking at Dracast tripods at a trade show some time back and was impressed with the build quality at surprisingly low prices. I can buy from Dracast directly but their prices are higher than B&H. I don't like buying hardware like tripods where "feel" really matters, online.

Also looking for a longer fast zoom for indoor use. This all part of the BMPCC Speedbooster quandary for me. As an "SPC" having fewer but more versatile lenses is important. If the reason for using a zoom over primes is going handheld I'm back to looking at Canon Speedboster which supports image stabilized zooms.

At f2.8 Nikon mount
Tamron has 28-75mm
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) AF09NII-700 B&H

Sigma 24-70mm
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon 571306

But the concern is whether they go soft when the aperture is open all the way. You can certainly get faster primes. I suspect the Sigma f1.8 18-35mm has people spoiled as that covers 20, 28, 35mm fast primes.

If only Sigma had an f1.8 35-100mm.

Craig Seeman
August 13th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Asking about drag control on the Dracast DVT-17 head they responded

"Hello Craig,

The Dvt-17 does have positive pan and tilt controls. There is a twist knob for the pan and tilt. The tighter you make the knob, the more resistant the pan and tilt are."

So the DVT-17A (same head lighter legs) is certainly worth investigating. It's the lightest head I can find with drag control. I'll have to go down to B&H and see if they have the head so I can see how it feels.

Jase Tanner
August 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I’ll be interested to hear what you think. A 3rd light weight tripod wouldn’t hurt, especially at that price. Tomorrow I’m going to check out the Manfrottos. Heavy I know, but do need something for the Gitzo I recently got. Weight was what sucked me into the Varavon.

It seems like you and are considering a lot of the same gear. Ditto on the lenses in your previous post. I do a lot of event shooting hence the need for longer, faster zooms. From everything I've looked at I think the best solution for me is the lumix f2.8 35-100. That said, ideally it would be longer and faster. I did just buy the 14-140 lumix for a shoot I did on a boat. Performed remarkably well. Not perfect, given the boat movement, but as well as could be expected, but definitely an outdoor lens. If only that were a constant 2.8.

I didn't realize the Canon Speedbooster supported image stabilized zooms. But as its only for the pocket, I doubt I’d go for it, at least not right now.

Kevin McRoberts
August 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
If only Sigma had an f1.8 35-100mm.

Well, they don't... but almost.

I also have an AF100 kit (usually rides in its own bag) that includes the Sigma 18-35/1.8 (Nikon)... it's companion tele zoom is the Sigma 50-150/2.8 (earlier non-OS version). Speedboosted (standard m43 version), it thus becomes a ~35-105/f2 lens. Its approximately the same size and weight as the 18-35, and is par focal with internal zoom and repeatable focus like the 18-35. Together, they make a very nice combination... Boost them if you need faster/wider, use them unboosted if you need the distance.

Craig Seeman
August 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Interesting that you mention shooting on a boat. That's what I was doing on the 14th. Shooting whales and dolphins,

The BMPCC being 2.88 crop, my Lumix 12-35 is about 100mm full frame equivalent at 35mm. That wasn't long enough.

The Lumix f2.8 35-100 is about $1500.
Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens H-HS35100 B&H

I may consider getting the Canon to BMPCC Metabones Speedbooster (already have the Nikon version) for $650 and look at Canon image stabilized zooms. Given that I may get another camera such as BMP4K which is a Canon mount it may make sense for me to get Canon mount lenses. Otherwise a Lumix zoom would serve me better (smaller, lighter and with BMPCC crop factor, perceptually longer).

I'm curious to hear about your boat shooting experiences. The hardest part about shooting whales is trying to anticipate them. On top of that, the longer the lens the more accurate you have to be to anticipate.

As to tripods, while I see a lot of good light legs, it seems very hard to find a light head with good drag control. I have the Sachtler FSB6 is very good but heavy. It's fine for my more involved productions.

Of course the rule of thumb now is to put all gear purchases on hold until after IBC given he potential new product announcements. I hate "hurry up and wait."

Jase Tanner
August 16th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I hadn't thought about that combination. Its even a little cheaper than the panasonic 35-100. Kevin, have you used that lens? Most of what I seem to read about it and its sister lens, the 12-35, people seem to rave about the latter but not so much that one.

Aside from the obvious, how would you compare those 2 choices, that is assuming you've used them both.

Kevin McRoberts
August 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I hadn't thought about that combination. Its even a little cheaper than the panasonic 35-100. Kevin, have you used that lens? Most of what I seem to read about it and its sister lens, the 12-35, people seem to rave about the latter but not so much that one.

Aside from the obvious, how would you compare those 2 choices, that is assuming you've used them both.

First I'll list the obvious, in case it wasn't obvious to some:
- Lumix set is MUCH more compact, has auto features and OIS
- Sigma set is larger, faster, parfocal with repeatable focus, non-extending

I've used all 4 lenses, and own 3.
I own and use both the Lumix 12-35 and Sigma 18-35 (sometimes boosted). In quick work and for bopping around shooting some B-roll and taking photos, the 12-35 is too convenient not to have. The 18-35 really is a hefty chunk of glass... I tend to use it more on tripod shoots or with my AF100. While the 18-35 also can ostensibly cover the entire ~12-35 focal range either using the booster or not, that step of changing out adapters is sometimes more trouble than it's worth. I tend to use the 18-35 more like a cinema lens (with follow focus etc) for shots with setup time and for interviews with its greater speed/focus depth control. It's a perfect interview MED/wide lens, for that matter, as I tend to shoot just about every such interview at 18-35mm around f1.8 anyway when using m43 cameras.

I enjoyed using the Lumix 35-100, but didn't love it. Images are just as crisp as with the 12-35, OIS is great, but it's a very expensive lens and I tend to only use that focal length on a tripod anyway. The Sigma focuses a little closer and has the capability of longer reach when used unboosted, is faster when boosted, plus it is mechanically parfocal with repeatable focus. The older 50-150 is indeed a little softer than the Sigma 18-35 or the Lumix lenses, but not greatly so. For the way I use those focal lengths, it just made more sense.

Another factor in the decision was that I sometimes rent S35 cameras (FS700, C300, etc) and the Sigma lenses offered usability on those systems.

Craig Seeman
August 17th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I have Lumix 12-35 and plan on getting Sigma 18-35. As Kevin notes, they serve different purposes.

Keeping in mind I have the Pocket (but the thinking is the same for other MFT cameras but with slightly different numbers)

Panasonic f2.8 12-35 is about 35-100mm on the Pocket. Also being OIS makes it a good walk around lens for hand held work.

Sigma f1.8 18-35 Pocket Speedboost is about f1.0 31-61 which, as Kevin notes would be a great tripod mounted interview lens. Sort of like having a 35mm and 50mm Prime but with more flexibility due to the zoom.
With standard Nikon G adaptor on Pocket it's about 50-100mm
Pocket crop is 2.88 and I believe 1.75 with Speedboost if you want to do the math for more exact numbers.

For me, the issue with whether to get Nikon or Canon mount Sigma 18-35. I already have Nikon Pocket SpeedBoost but I'm thinking Canon mount lenses for future Canon mount camera purchases (BMP4K). On the other hand Nikon mount would be fine with Nikon MFT SpeedBoost (which I already have as well) if I were to get Panasonic GH4. Decisions, decisions.

In any case, the Sigma 18-35 seems like a must have for "SPC" given it's flexibility on a tripod. It's two fast primes only more flexible. It can be either f1.0 31-61 or f1.8 50-100 on Pocket. So in that respect it's cover 35, 50, 85mm primes with one lens. Basically if you have a Pocket or other MFT camera and can only take one lens and you're on sticks, this would be it.

Kevin McRoberts
August 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM
It should be noted that I don't only use the 18-35 on sticks... with a stable enough shoulder mount, it works ok run & gunning - in one respect better than the Lumix 12-35 because it will hold focus and aperture through a zoom (and there are plenty of ways to use that technique, not just the local-newsesque slow-zoom-in/out or 60's movie snap zooms).

Craig Seeman
August 17th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I've been looking at shoulder rigs as well. Also heard from others that IS isn't really necessary with a good shoulder rig. I've started looking although that might be beyond "subway kit." It would involve more first hand testing.

I went to B&H on the "great tripod hunt" and confirmed some things.

Dracast DVT-17 head has a poor excuse for drag control. Friction really and not well implemented. Head felt like a bad consumer head.

Generally good pan drag mechanisms add a lot of weight to the head. Checked with several sales people and all said there are no really light options with that.

Libec TH-650HD Head/Tripod with Carrying Case
Libec TH-650HD Head/Tripod with Carrying Case TH-650HD B&H Photo

This was passible/serviceable but not quite as smooth a pan as I'd like. 7 lbs

Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Head & 755CX3 Tripod with Carrying Bag
Manfrotto MVH500AH Fluid Head & 755CX3 MVH500AH,755CX3 B&H

This head felt much better and at 6.25 lbs closer to acceptable.

Benro C2573FS4 S4 Video Head and CF Flip Lock Legs Kit
Benro C2573FS4 S4 Video Head and CF Flip Lock Legs Kit C2573FS4

This was pretty good. There's a serviceable Tilt drag and panning felt smooth even though there's no drag control. Weight was impressively light at 4.8 lbs for $440. Aluminum legs would bring it up to 5.8 lbs but drop price to $275

Benro C2573FS6 S6 Video Head and CF Flip Lock Legs Kit
Benro C2573FS6 S6 Video Head and CF Flip Lock Legs Kit C2573FS6

Has a much better Tilt drag control. Pretty good actually but still not Pan drag. The head adds more weight bringing it to 6 lbs and $465. Aluminum legs add almost another pound at 6.9 lbs while price drops to $300.

Benro S4 and S6 with CF legs are close in prices interestingly enough.
S4 CF other key specs
67.9" Maximum Height
8.8 lb Load Capacity
29.9" Folded

S6 CF other key specs
68.5" Maximum Height
13.2 lb Load Capacity
30.5" Folded

Between the two it comes down do greater load capacity at a heavier weight.

Manfrotto 755CX3 MagFiber Video Tripod Legs with Rapid Center Column & 502HD Pro Video Head with Flat Base Kit
Manfrotto 755CX3 MagFiber Video Tripod Legs with Rapid Center

This seems to be the lightest with viable Tilt and Pan drag head. $694 and about 7.8 lbs.

Jase Tanner
August 17th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Interesting that you mention shooting on a boat. That's what I was doing on the 14th. Shooting whales and dolphins,

That was my second time shooting whales. Needless to say, a long lens can either reward or disappoint greatly and it did. This last shoot in particular, I just let the camera roll. I had a spotter which helped. I was up north where the water can be rough, so rarely did I use the full 140mm and the times that I did, when I thought I could get away with it, I wanted more. Not surprisingly there were also times when I rolled and rolled without a single breach and as soon as I rested my arms or took a drink of water, up comes a whale.

Yesterday I picked up a Manfrotto 502. I’ll be returning it not just because it turned out to be defective (odd clicking noise on the tilt and scraping on pans) but because it quickly became apparent its really meant for a much heavier load than I’ll give it. Too much tension on the counterbalance spring for my taste, although I will say I thought for the price it was otherwise decent enough.

Jase Tanner
August 17th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I enjoyed using the Lumix 35-100, but didn't love it. Images are just as crisp as with the 12-35, OIS is great, but it's a very expensive lens and I tend to only use that focal length on a tripod anyway. The Sigma focuses a little closer and has the capability of longer reach when used unboosted, is faster when boosted, plus it is mechanically parfocal with repeatable focus. The older 50-150 is indeed a little softer than the Sigma 18-35 or the Lumix lenses, but not greatly so. For the way I use those focal lengths, it just made more sense.

Typically I also only use a longer lens when on a tripod. The whale shoot being one exception. Up until that, most of what I used the GH3 for were sit down interviews with the Sigma 18-35. But as a significant percentage of the shooting I do is fast paced, get the shot right now or its gone type of stuff, I often use autofocus, assuming there’s enough light to make it reliable. Do you know if there is an adapter which would enable the autofocus of the sigma 50-150. I’ve looked but there doesn’t seem to be one, speed booster or otherwise.

I have to say I was impressed with the GH3’s ability to accurately indicate whether it had found focus or not. There were times when it couldn’t find right away but it never lied.

Jase Tanner
August 17th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Craig, how do you power your pocket camera? I've been using a tekkeon battery with this:

BEC BEC-TEK Mounting Box for Tekkeon myPower ALL PLUS BEC-TEK

both of which I had anyway. Goes for hours but adds a bulk I'd rather do without.

Craig Seeman
August 18th, 2014, 09:58 PM
With the Pocket camera the only "auto focus" seems to be with Panasonic lenses and it's really just a push for focus and wait three seconds.
Neither the Nikon or Canon SpeedBoosters support auto focus. Canon supports IS.
Panasonic IS is supported natively.

What I tried doing was infinity focus which is hard with the Panasonic lens focus rings but not impossible.

I've just been using the Blackmagic branded batteries (plus one Nikon). I generally get about 50 minutes from the BMD batteries and closer to 60 from the Nikon. I've learned to change the very quickly. Pop the bottom, pull it out and bite down on it while one hand holds the camera and the other pulls out another battery from my bag on my waist. Probably takes me about 15 seconds or so.

I debated about continuous shooting vs grabbing shots as I anticipate. If only the Pocket had pre-record. I just ended up grabbing since the Pocket record is near instant. I guess if you anticipate in advance and happen to have the camera pointing to an exact spot before a breach... which has got be like winning the lottery with a long lens.

Did you find shooting continuos really helped?

Regarding spotting, the captain shouted clock directions. Their regular Photog (he does this at least three days a week during season) explained to us what he was looking for, how to spot the congregation of the bunker fish and watch their activity, They tend to jump a lot more of a whale's coming up from under them.

Alas maybe whale shooting is better served with a small ENG style camera with deep depth of field, 20x zoom and pre-record.

Jase Tanner
August 19th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Yes, the “autofocusing" ability of the pocket is one reason I haven’t used it much so far. When I have, its mostly been for static wides when I do a 3 camera set up at speaking events. These events are usually about 2 hours so changing batteries isn’t really a good option.

That said, I’m going out of town tomorrow on a shoot, the nature of which means I have to bring 4 cameras. I’m considering leaving the GH3 at home and taking the pocket instead. Anything to lighten the load which is somewhat ridiculous. There’ll be an arm wrestle over that tomorrow morning I’m sure.

Pre record would be perfect and yes, continuous shooting did help. But it did mean taking the time after the shoot to cut out what had nothing in it. A client that has been good to me so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Despite everything I’ve said about the next lens I’m considering, what I should get is a 1/3 inch camcorder, as you suggest. The difference between what I want and what I need I guess. I do have my eye slightly pointed towards the Panasonic AJ-PX270 as well as the Sony PXW-X180 which isn’t out yet.

I also want to see how the Panasonic FZ1000 does. I haven’t read up on it much but from what I gather there are trade offs. To be expected for a $900 camera with lens.

Too many choices...

Craig Seeman
August 19th, 2014, 02:36 PM
If I were getting a Professional "handy cam" at this point I'd want 4K.

That could be the Sony PXW-X70 but it won't be 4K until next year from what I understand at an unknown cost. Also it has one of those one ring multiple function designs I'm not crazy about. It's an odd bird in that it actually has a 1" chip which helps in low light compared to some of the other 4K professional handycams. That even gives some wiggle room with shallow depth of field.
Sony PXW-X70 Professional XDCAM Compact Camcorder PXW-X70 B&H

There's also the Sony PXW-Z100 which is 4K and a 10 bit intraframe codec. The reason for the interest is if I'm going to go the handycam route whether it's whale "filming" or corporate, it'll give me the opportunity to crop zoom/pan. That can certainly help when filming whales.

The Sony PXW-X70 is certainly small though and fits within the "Subway Kit" theme for me.

As it is, I do have the Sony EX1 so I'd have to see something compelling. IBC is coming up in a few weeks so there's no rush.

Ryan Jones
August 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM
For what it's worth Craig, for the past few months my primary tripod with the BMPCC has been a set of old Manfrotto 190XPROB aluminium stills legs I had laying around, and a new 500AH head I bought.

The 500 head seems to be pretty good with the low weight of the BMPCC on it, and the legs are find as long as they're weighted down properly. As you can imagine the whole thing doesn't weigh much and some pans can move it around if you're not careful - just takes a camera bag hooked on it or an extra hand on the tripod.

From memory the legs are 1.8kg and the head is 0.6kg, so 2.4kg total. I'm currently looking for some lighter legs for travel though, I fly a lot and want something that will pack down slightly smaller and weighs less.

Still searching for the perfect one, but the Gitzo GT1542T looks closest so far, just so pricey!

Craig Seeman
August 22nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
Thanks Ryan

Those Gitzo GT1542T legs are 1kg (2.2 lbs).
Gitzo GT1542T Series 1 Traveler 6x Carbon Fiber GT1542T B&H

This Manfrotto 500 head with the 190 legs roughly 5.6 lbs. These are carbon fiber legs though. So perhaps a different model.
Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Fluid Head, MT190CXPRO4 Tripod B&H

I believe from what B&H said, the Benros are good quality Manfrotto knockoffs
This Benro SF4 and carbon fiber legs are interesting. Total weight 4.8 lbs (2.2 kg)
Benro C2573FS4 S4 Video Head and CF Flip Lock Legs Kit C2573FS4
Legs don't seem to be sold separately though.

If your 190 legs are aluminum perhaps just get the CF version at 1.3 kg (3 lbs). Gitzo legs are a bit lighter though.
Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod 190CXPRO4 B&H Photo

Ryan Jones
August 22nd, 2014, 09:06 AM
The thing I don't like about those Benro's Craig is the folded length.

I'm thinking you might be right about the 190CXPRO4, although that kit you linked with the MT190CXPRO4, the new version is heavier but holds more weight. Trade offs!

I'm even toying with the idea of getting a couple of those cheap Horusbennu carbon tripods off ebay... for $100 each I could get a very cheap Chinese alternative to the Gitzo, and replace them after a year or two.

Craig Seeman
August 22nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Carbon Fiber would have to be lighter. You mention legs as 1.8kg and the Manfrotto system I point to has legs that are 1.6kg. Gitzo legs are certainly lighter still at 1kg. The Manfrotto 500 head with Gitzo legs would certainly have a small folded size. They're only 149cm high max without head though. Benro nearly 173cm (with head) and column fully extended (which might be unstable though).

I'm concerned about short tripod with tall subject. For me, if it fits into a tripod bag any smaller doesn't buy me too much. Lighter is important if I have to carry it some distance though.

Craig Seeman
August 22nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Someone elsewhere mentioned they bought one of these to try
Sirui 005X. Folds to 12 inches/30cm, extends to 54.5 inches/149cm with column extended. 2.2lbs/1kg
Sirui T-005X Aluminum Tripod with C-10X Ball Head (Red)

but then I'd look at Sirui 025x which is carbon fiber. Same as above but 1.7lbs/0.8kg
Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head BSRT025X

Craig Seeman
August 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Video review of someone using it with BMPCC. Note creative use as a shoulder stabilized "rig"
Cheap and Compact Tripod/Rig/Stabilization for the Blackmagic Pocket Camera - YouTube

Ryan Jones
August 24th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Craig, when I said heavier, the weights from memory are:
190CXPRO4 - 1.3kg (old version)
MT190CXPRO4 - 1.6kg (new version)
190XPROB - 1.8kg (aluminimum version)

Not sure the expense is worth saving 200g just to get a slightly more compact tripod...

The Sirui looks good, I'm also looking at:
Horusbennu C2240X - Horusbennu C2240X Carbon Fiber Camera Premium Tripod W Case | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281126421942?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)
Induro CT114 - Induro Carbon 8X CT114 Tripod 693174735004 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191279418401?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

The new BeFree Carbon also looks a lot better than the aluminium version (which feels too flimsy to me).

The Horusbennu seems like it's worth the risk at this point, when you can buy them for ~$100 each, could be perfect for what I want it for.

Jase Tanner
August 30th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I watched the above video some months ago and bought the carbon fibre version. I agree that it does make for a good "shoulder mount" but was disappointed with its overall stability and returned it.

Ryan, if I'm not mistaken, it was you who first made me aware of the Gitzo legs ( in some post or another in the tripods section). If you haven't already, take a look at a previous post of mine in this thread. Expensive yes, but worth it.

Ryan Jones
August 31st, 2014, 06:05 AM
I suspect you're probably right Jake, but my quandary now is my new slider really needs 2+ tripods, and I'm not sure I can afford the financial outlay of two Gitzos.

Maybe the solution in my case is the Gitzo, plus two of the cheap carbon tripods? We shall see.

Kevin McRoberts
August 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM
When I use a longer slider, I'll often use a tripod on one end and a monopod on the other (Manfrotto). It stays steady enough.

Ryan Jones
August 31st, 2014, 11:21 PM
When I use a longer slider, I'll often use a tripod on one end and a monopod on the other (Manfrotto). It stays steady enough.
Thats a really clever idea, thanks for the tip Kevin! Have to give it a try!

Craig Seeman
September 1st, 2014, 11:50 AM
You can use an inexpensive light stand rather than a second tripod.

BTW this is why I'm interested in the Edelkrone sliders.. They're designed to be used on a single tripod. Granted you don't get the "full throw" if you use them on the ground. Edelkrone sliders look like a great idea for the SPC Subway Kit though. They can fit in a backpack due to the small initial size
Their Plus Pro version can handle a bit more than their Plus V2
Pro
SliderPLUS PRO - edelkrone® USA (http://www.edelkrone.com/us/p/287/sliderplus-pro)
Plus
edelkrone SliderPLUS (http://www.edelkrone.com/us/p/138/slider-plus)
These aren't very long sliders though. 2.6'/ 800mm and 2.9' / 900mm respectively for the longest size.

But both are designed for stable single tripod use. They mention the spread needed for support in their specs.

As to tripods, I'm concerned about video head, leg support combinations.
Gitzo GT1542T seems to be listed as a "photo" tripod legs whereas
Gitzo GT2531LV are listed as video tripod legs at 3.5 lbs / 1.6 kg
Granted it could be arbitrary catagorization.

Craig Seeman
September 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM
It looks like Benro just released a travel specific tripod kit
Aero S Series Video Travel Angel Tripod Kits, Single Legs - Benro (http://www.benrousa.com/products/aero-s-series-video-travel-angel-tripod-kits---single-legs/)
Starts at 4.1 lbs / 1.9kg and folds to just over 18" / 46cm
The larger model looks a bit more viable for me though.
5.8 lbs / 2.6 kg and folds to just over 21" / 55cm
Seems new because the product video is dated Sept. 1.
Benro Learning Center: Articles and Videos (http://www.benrousa.com/learning-center.aspx#lc-benro-aero-travel-tripod-kit-for-video)
Interesting that the marketing video shows both Blackmagic Pocket and 4K models.

I keep wishing for better pan drag control but that just doesn't seem possible in the "travel" weight class.

Ryan Jones
September 2nd, 2014, 05:15 AM
You can use an inexpensive light stand rather than a second tripod.
Yeah but they're not the most portable solution...

As to tripods, I'm concerned about video head, leg support combinations.
Gitzo GT1542T seems to be listed as a "photo" tripod legs whereas
Gitzo GT2531LV are listed as video tripod legs at 3.5 lbs / 1.6 kg
Granted it could be arbitrary catagorization.
Seems like the difference is the weight the tripod can hold, I think the Gitzo LV models have built in levellers too?

It looks like Benro just released a travel specific tripod kit
Aero S Series Video Travel Angel Tripod Kits, Single Legs - Benro (http://www.benrousa.com/products/aero-s-series-video-travel-angel-tripod-kits---single-legs/)
Starts at 4.1 lbs / 1.9kb and folds to just over 18' / 46cm
The larger model looks a bit more viable for me though.
5.8 lbs / 2.6 kg and folds to just over 21' / 55cm
Seems new because the product video is dated Sept. 1.
Benro Learning Center: Articles and Videos (http://www.benrousa.com/learning-center.aspx#lc-benro-aero-travel-tripod-kit-for-video)
Interesting that the marketing video shows both Blackmagic Pocket and 4K models.

I keep wishing for better pan drag control but that just doesn't seem possible in the "travel" weight class.
Now this is interesting.

The Gitzo GT1542T, including head and leveller, it ends up as a 2.14kg tripod setup, the Benro is 2.6kg. Not too much in it, although a carbon version would be better clearly.

Be interesting to see what the rigidity of the aluminium would be. Some of the aluminium travel tripods I looked at were very wobbly, yet carbon seems to be able to be made more rigid for the same size.

If they're rigid enough, when they're available properly would be a good option. At the moment I can only order from Adorama and they want US$80 to deliver to Australia!

Craig Seeman
September 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM
BTW I found this review of the Benro tripods by Adam Wilt who is always very meticulous in his reviews.
Review: Benro Video Tripod Kits by Adam Wilt (http://provideocoalition.com/awilt/story/review_benro_video_tripod_kits/)

Key notes are that these are good for their inexpensive price, that he likes the S6 head but the S4 and S2 less so. He seems to like the legs.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews of the new Aero 4 (which has the S4 head).

Ultimately unless there's a light head with good pan drag control, there's going to be limitations in a travel tripod.

Regarding "reasonable" pan drag controls it would seem that would be the Benro S8 or Manfrotto 502 and you're getting on the heavy side at that point.

Of course the Manfrotto 500 head is a good head sans pan drag and probably is competitive with the Benro S6. I have looked at both in person.

This seems to be the current lightest Manfrotto 500 heads, legs combination

Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Fluid Head/MT190CXPRO3 Tripod Legs/Padded Case Kit. - 5.6 lbs/ 2.5 kg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022507-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_flat_base_fluid.html

and similar weight. Difference seems to be leg stages.
Manfrotto MVH500AH Flat Base Fluid Head, MT190CXPRO4 Tripod Legs,Padded Case Kit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022497-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_flat_base_fluid.html

BTW Ryan, it seems to me that I can find light stands that weigh less the tripods and fold down enough. The latter is key though because, yes, some tripods fold smaller but for me weight is the bigger issue. In any case this is why I'm looking at Edelkrone sliders which can be stable on a single tripod.

Craig Seeman
September 8th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Here's how the Subway Kit is looking. Audio items in parentheses I normally wouldn't bring unless specifically needed.

The MiniBurst 504 might be an addition or substitution. If an addition it would require yet another light stand though. There's light stands that are about 1/2 lb lighter but I already own these and it wouldn't be much of a weight reduction. Lights include the weight of the batteries. I didn't add weight of the BMPCC EN-EL20 batteries though.

I could get the Sigma 18-35 lens and eliminate both the Lumix and the Nikkor 35mm but it's a heavy lens so there's not much change with that.

Subway Kit

Lights
3 Lowel Omni Stands 2.9 lb / 1.32 kg each
2 Digital Juice MiniBurst 128 9.6 oz / 272 g
1 Litepanels Sola ENG 10 oz / 0.28 kg
1 Airbox Mini Softbox w/ Eggcrate 4 oz / 113.4 g

Camera
1 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera 12.52 oz / 355 g

Lenses
1 Panasonic Lumix 12-35 f2.8 lens 10.76 oz / 305 g
1 Metabones Nikon G BMPCC Speed Booster 5.6 oz / 160 g
1 Nikkor 35mm f2.8 lens 8.4 oz / 240 g
1 Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens 5 oz / 155 g
1 Nikkor 85mm f2.0 lens 11 oz / 313 g

Audio
Sennheiser EW 100 ENG G3
Receiver 5.5 oz / 156 g
Transmitter Lav 5.64 oz / 160 g
(Transmitter plugin 6.88 oz / 195 g)
(Rode VideoMic Pro 3 oz / 86 g)
(Beyerdynamic M88 11.3 oz / 320 g)

Tripod
1 Benro C2573S6 Tripod 6 lb / 2.7 kg

Maybe
1 Digital Juice MiniBurst 504 30 oz / 851 g
1 Edelkrone 24” SliderPlusV2 3.7 lb / 1.7 kg

Roughly 20 lb / 9 kg

Jase Tanner
September 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Craig, I have to say you've given me much food for thought about
how I can also lighten my load. Thank you for that. I would like to know
how many bags does your gear go into and which ones are they?

Also, with the LCD on the pocket being as it is, have you considered an
external monitor and if so, which one?

Craig Seeman
September 12th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Still thinking about packing. Just had a gig sans lights.

I had BMPCC in Ruggard bag and a bag with my audio kit inside a Porta Brace and Tripod in its own bag.

I may be able to have lights, Light stands, audio in the Porta Brace bag. Tripod in bag. BMPCC in Ruggard bag. Light stands barely fit. Alternately I could put light stand in bag with tripod but that's going to be one very heavy bag, throwing me off balance. I'll need a bigger Ruggard bag for more lenses or equivalent. I have a back pack I can use instead.

My aim is to get this into three bags I can carry on the subway.

I'm using a Zacuto Pocket Z- Finder. I'm finding I really can trust my focus with it, the peaking and the focus assist.

Ryan Jones
September 16th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Craig, I'd suggest you take a look at the ThinkTank bags. They do some larger roll bags that might be perfect for you. Not cheap though, but I don't have a great back so a roll bag is a godsend.

I just ordered a new Benro Aero4 tripod, I'm going to give it a go. It's almost what I was looking for, at 1/4 of the price. Worth trying I think. I'll post up my findings.

Slightly off topic, but can you link me to some examples of the shots you get from that lighting kit with the BMPCC? I'm also after a semi-portable lighting kit to use with the BMPCC, and your setup seems to be particularly light.

Craig Seeman
September 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
Please do tell me what you think of the Benro Aero 4. I'm torn between that and the Benro C2573S6 which only ways slightly more but has the S6 head.

So many of my shoots are ENG style that I don't have material I'd show yet with the lights but that may be coming up very soon (poss this week). I'm concerned it may not be enough light in some situations, hence the interest in the Digital Juice MiniBurst 504. I looked at the equivalent iKan lights (and others as well) and found them to be heavier and a rep from iKan told me that with the two included batteries, the light lasts for only an hour. More batteries means more weight.