View Full Version : Blu-ray player that will play back my dvd's

Steve Longhi
August 22nd, 2014, 10:21 AM
I have a AG-HMC-150 Panasonic camera. At home, I have a Samsung Blu-ray player that plays my recorded DVD's back just fine. I went to buy another DVD player and my DVD will not work in them. I have tried a Panasonic and a Samsung.
Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Jeff Pulera
August 22nd, 2014, 10:38 AM
Hi Steve,

How did you create the DVDs - DVD authoring software or stand-alone recorder? Brand of media used? Single or dual-layer?

ALL properly made DVD-R or DVD+R discs ought to work on ALL modern DVD and Blu-ray players. Many years ago in the early days of DVD burning, there were some compatibility issues with some players, but I haven't seen an issue in forever and I deliver many hundreds of DVDs to clients every year.

I've never used DL discs myself, but have heard of some compatibility issues with those, but never 4.7GB discs these days.

There's either a problem in the authoring/burning process, or the media is flaky if you can't play a disc.

Thanks

Steve Longhi
August 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Sothink HD Movie Maker is the software. Optical Quantum dvd's 25GB.

I have been using this combo for 2 years now with no problems. Again, this disc works fine in my Samsung at home (2 years old) and the disc plays fine on my computer. Just won't work on a new Samsung or Panasonic at Best Buy.

Steve Longhi
August 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM
They are BD-R discs.

Jeff Pulera
August 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Ahhh...so you're making Blu-ray discs and not DVDs. Please be careful not to use the terms interchangeably, they are quite different.

So Blu-ray discs do not have the compatibility that DVDs enjoy these days. Could still have something to do with media or authoring methods, but it is not uncommon to have playback problems with Blu-ray, not guaranteed to work in all players.

Sometimes, a firmware update to the player will resolve the issue, but if these are NEW players then that's likely not the issue. Some players just don't like BD-R, so find one that works and purchase that one (if you have the ability to test at local showroom).

Thanks

Steve Longhi
August 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Did a firmware update on a new Samsung, with no luck. In the past, Samsung's always worked.