View Full Version : Sony PMW 350 Stuck on Sony VCT14

Tom Bostick
August 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM
So I have a bit of a problem with the sony vct 14 quick release plate.

It is stuck on my camera.

I have had it get a little stuck from time to time.

This time though it is not budging.

I have gone so far as to hold the camera while someone else pulled on the plate.

not even a small movement.

has anyone ever had this happen?

Does anyone know if there is a way to take apart the plate, and manually release the camera?

Don Bloom
August 23rd, 2014, 05:12 PM
Tom, is the release handle fully functional? IOW is it moving all the way forward? (all the way is actually to about the halfway position and of course making sure the locking tab is moving with it)
That is the only thing I can think of why the plate won't release from the camera.

Once you get it off the camera you'll need to check that mechanism completely to make sure there is nothing broken dirt inside.

If the handle isn't moving all the way then you may have to take drastic measures on the plate.

Alister Chapman
August 28th, 2014, 05:21 AM
This has happened to me in the past. The cause: A bolt that is too long screwed into the bottom of the VCT QR plate, for example if the bolt from the tripod plate to the VCT-14 is too long it will jam mechanism and pre the release from releasing.

If you have nothing bolted to the plate, sometimes you can use a thin screwdriver or similar tool through the tripod screw threads on the base of the plate to lever the release pin back.

Geoff Tirrell
August 31st, 2014, 01:28 PM
I have also seen where dirt and part of a small screw that was in somebody's bag got into the head and had to be shaken loose. Best bet is to separate the tripod plate from the tripod and work at the problem from the bottom.

Tom Bostick
September 29th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Thank you so much for your help gentleman.

I finally had to time to fiddle with it some more today.

I only had to remove the 3mm hex screws on the bottom of the plate, and that let me release it.

It seems to be working fine again! :)