View Full Version : New Mini Stabilizer for the BMCC

Benjamin Larkin
August 25th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Looking in to getting this. Has anyone bought something from this company before?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1569945514/casper-mini-stabilizer-for-bmpcc-gh4-a7s

Noa Put
August 25th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Made in India...When you look at 01:40 when he talks about the steadicam having a great inertia because of the way the bottom weights are distributed you see him moving the steadicam quickly forward and backward and while he does that notice how the steadicam rotates left. Also a greater inertia comes with more weight, my own experience with these very light steadicams is that they are very sensitive to the touch and you need to be enough experienced to make complexer moves, the heavier the setup the better it will be to control the moves.
The steadicam shots are also not that good and they show just a little bit, one straight forward moving shot, I would have expected to see moire complex moves. Better to wait when it hit the streets and see what other users think of it before you buy.

Charles Papert
August 25th, 2014, 10:05 AM
The distance from the gimbal to the camera is much greater than it should be. Much of this is due to the two axis balance adjustments which they are claiming is "unique"--maybe in its chunkiness, but functionally, that's incorporated in all good stabilizers (compare to the Merlin or Blackbird, which have those adjustments in a much more compact fashion).

I am dubious about the shape of the handle--it doesn't look comfortable for long term flying, although the light camera helps.

At the end of their balance video, the guy has his operating hand too low on the post, it should be just under the gimbal. When I see this sort of thing in a manufacturer's video, it immediately tells me that this is a group that doesn't understand how gimbaled stabilizers work.

There's not much new or revolutionary here, just another reverse-engineered version of a Glidecam, and not a particularly elegant one at that.