View Full Version : Canon EOS-M: So affordable nowadays...

John C. Chu
September 4th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I just ordered a Canon EOS-M camera with the 22mm lens.

It should be a nice backup camera and I can leave my T2i at home next time. APS-C with a 22mm f2 lens for $249? Pretty slick. (I could probably buy 2 of them and shoot 3D video.)

The aftermarket batteries LP-E12 for the camera seems pretty inexpensive, and I can get the EF to EOS-M lens adapter.

Should be interesting!

Jon Fairhurst
September 4th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I did the same when the price dropped last year. (Was it $349 or $299? I can't recall.)

I have a 5D2, so I was a bit disappointed with the noise, but not with the size, the price, and the little, tiny lens. I compared it to the 16-35/2.8L II w/ adapter and the 22mm M lens rocks! You'll be surprised at how small and cheap the lens looks - and at how good it performs.

I like how handy the camera is, especially with the 22mm pancake. It gives much more control and quality than you can get from a cell phone without being conspicuous.

So how do I generally use mine? As a light meter! For video, I'm usually more serous, so I still go for the big gun. For casual photos, the cell phone is always at hand and can send/post things on the spot. But for serious photos I shoot medium format film (6x6 Bronica S2A). The film camera doesn't even have a battery, let alone automatic exposure, so for difficult (non Sunny 16 rule) lighting, I break out the M, set the exposure, take a photo, and check the histogram. If nothing else, it provides back up shots. :)

Anyway, I thought the M was a steal last year. At the latest pricing, it's a no-brainer. If nothing else, it's a cheap backup camera in case your main DSLR fails.

Robert Benda
September 4th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I thought it would make a great 'just in case' camera. For instance, sometimes I wish I could tuck a spare camera in a spot where I *think* it would get one really great shot (during a ceremony), but I can't spare one, or they're too big and obvious. Just like a GoPro.

John C. Chu
September 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
One more random thought--and it looks like it has already been thought of:

A Speedbooster/Focal reducer for the EOS M.

Eos m focal reducer lensturbo - FM Forums (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1294194/0)

It would be pretty awesome to get "full frame" and faster on this thing.

I don't care about aperture controls-- I'm using old Nikon lenses.

I will have to research this. I see some EOS to NEX focal reducers for about $130? Just grab the EOS-M mount part from the cheap $10 dumb adapters and screw transfer it on to the focal reducer? Might work...

John C. Chu
September 6th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I just got the camera today along with the EF lens adapter and had to post a photo of it dressed up.

This is a nice camera!

The autofocus on the included 22mm is pretty cool. The AF continuous servo focus also "works" on the Tamron 17-50 2.8 too... but not for professional use--it hunts and chatters. Maybe if one doesn't care about the audio--one could use it in a pinch.

Woo-hoo. The screen on the thing is way better than the 5D and T2i.

Mike Leah
September 8th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Its a great camera. The 22mm is nice and easy to carry around. The videos ive seen with a 50mm on it look pretty good also. When I show people what ive shot on both the 22mm and the 18-55 they are surprised at the quality that little camera displays. My next lens for it will be the cheap canon 50mm.

Id feel comfortable shooting a feature with it with only a 22mm and a 50mm with good conditions.

John C. Chu
September 8th, 2014, 01:22 PM
I really like the noise pattern on the EOS-M for stills, it almost seems like film grain to my eyes.

I just found on eBay, a Focal Reducer/Speedbooster for the EOS-M. It is a Nikon version.(The RJ Turbo guy says he doesn't have time to make the EF version) I can't wait to see how things looks via this adapter.

It supposedly makes things wider and 1 stop faster. Essentially ---full frame!

I assume if one went the Nikon lenses (AIS, AI, Non-Ai) route, one can get this Nikon>EOS-M focal reducer plus a straight Nikon F to EOS-M adapter.

So if you need the longer end of the lens, use the straight adapter, if one needs to be wider and faster than mount the focal reducer adapter.

Such possibilities! The touch screen operation is really brilliant on the EOS-M.

Jon Fairhurst
September 8th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I also like the touch screen on the M. Well, I prefer the 5D2 as I can very quickly adjust things with dials and buttons without moving the camera from my eye, but even though the M's UI isn't as fast, it feels pretty good.

I also like the touch-to-focus-and-shoot photo feature. I can set it up in auto mode with that feature, hand it to my wife, and she can get good results easily. :)

Mike Leah
September 9th, 2014, 10:21 AM
How do you all like the 22mm? I wasnt expecting it to be that good of a lens but it does much better than I expected. Not perfect by any means but not a bad lens at all and the price was right.

Jon Fairhurst
September 9th, 2014, 01:09 PM
The 22mm lens far exceeded my expectations.

Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens Image Quality (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=814)

Shaun Roemich
September 9th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I quite liked mine until I sold it - the only issues for me were the fact that it kept resetting itself to "push to take picture" and the white one I bought seemed prone to wanting to jump out of my hands - the paint was rather slippery in the high gloss white.

I rather miss it except that I never took it anywhere because it didn't conveniently fit in a pocket.

Steve Struthers
September 10th, 2014, 05:43 AM
I have an EOS-M too, and I have the same problem- the reset to 'push for picture' icon keeps popping up when I don't want it to. As a result, I've ended up inadvertently taking pictures even while the camera is slung around my neck. Very annoying, but the whole problem is due to the fact that Canon messed up the firmware and didn't bother to fix it (even in the 2.0 version that fixed the glacially slow autofocus), because they decided not to support the camera or market it aggressively.

I do like the touch screen, though. It lets me make super-quick and easy exposure adjustments, and I find the touch screen interface is actually faster and easier for me to use than the controls on my bigger T2i DSLR.

Dylan Couper
September 11th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Another happy owner here. Mostly because I paid about $240 for it.

Al Bergstein
September 15th, 2014, 11:23 AM
John C. You might want to make sure you have the upgraded firmware. The update provided much better autofocus ability. I've posted elsewhere on here about my use of the M. I love the camera and took it down the Grand Canyon last year with a 10mm Sigma lens and the 22mm pancake. To see what I got, check this out. Totally thrilled with the image quality. As good as my 7D would take. I would not hesitate to take it on any professional shoot, and intend to take it with me later this winter for all my travels. And yes, Magic Lantern does work on it!

Grand Canyon 2013 - albergstein (http://www.mountainstoneproductions.com/Vacation/Grand-Canyon-2013/)

John C. Chu
September 19th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I just received my Focal Reducer from RJ Camera off eBay for the EOS M.

It definitely works as advertised-- although at maximum apertures AND depending on what lens I'm using, it might be too soft?

Every lens works differently with it.

Here is a attached picture of 2 shots taken with Nikkor 28mm f2 AI lens.

Here is a funny thing about the screen on the EOS-M, my vision is getting poor, so manual focus with the viewfinder on the DSLR is hit or miss when taking photos.

I seem to get better results with that large LCD on the M taking stills.

Here is also a quick Youtube overview: http://youtu.be/FWwgG76DTXQ

Al Bergstein
October 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Nothing wrong with sharpness on my lenses with the EOS-M. Here's today's shot, dropped down to 256kb from 25 MBs. This is with the 18-55 zoom.I love this camera.