View Full Version : Black Magic 4k camera can now format SSD internally

Ted Ramasola
September 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/readme/10031

Mattias Burling
September 5th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Tried it, worked great and a 240GB SSD with 40GB recorded took 4 seconds to format.

Daniel Epstein
September 5th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Big step forward in workflow!

Shaun Roemich
September 6th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Breaking News: Erasers can now erase pencil!

Mattias Burling
September 7th, 2014, 10:38 AM
The analogy should be more like: Breaking news, everybody that bought a pencil can now exchange it for a gold pen for free and in a few weeks those who want to can exchange it again for a diamond one.

The Panasony analogy would be: Breaking news, you can now by a pencil with bite marks for twice the retail value, but we have broken of the tip. If you need that we suggest you go with the "s" model that's released in 5 minutes.

The Canikon analogy would be: What's a pencil, we carve in stone.

;)

Shaun Roemich
September 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
The analogy should be more like: Breaking news, everybody that bought a pencil can now exchange it for a gold pen for free and in a few weeks those who want to can exchange it again for a diamond one.

More like:

Breaking news: you are told you'd be sent a ballpoint pen, only if you preorder. Initially you get sent a pencil. Many of the pencils contain no lead. You are assured this is an oversight and will be fixed shortly. Several months later you are sent a mechanical pencil and promised you'd be getting your pen as soon as absolutely possible. A year later you are sent a quill and an ink well. The community at large points out to the naysayers just how awesome the penmanship of the quill was and how "legit" they were as scribes with it. A year and a half after release, you receive a fountain pen in the mail. The next week, they announce a laser engraver and all support for the now outdated Pen Program stops. More Koolaid is then drunk and speculation begins again on just HOW AWESOME the laser engraver will be and preorder numbers are astronomical.

Oh... and early adopters are penalized as the price for the "pen" drops by 33% as initial shipping catches up to orders.

Mattias Burling
September 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Sorry but it was to long so I didnt read all of it :)
But my point stands, BMD is the ONLY camera manufacturer that gives two s...s about their customers.

I bought a camera delivered the same day knowing that it didnt have verry usable audio, ability to show time remaining, different compressions of Prores, audio levels, format in camera and now it have all those features... For free.

The only camera company that have even come close to service like that is Sony with the new codec for the rx10 but come on, to little to late.

I have after buying my first BMCC one year ago also bought a canon, 3 panasonics and 5 Sonys so Im not a fanboy of any special brand. IMO its a simpe fact. BMD are special and if it wasnt for them cameras like the GH4 and A7s wouldnt exist and RX10 users would sill be stuck with avchd.

Its all my opinion of course and your entitled to your own, have a good one.
/M

Dylan Couper
September 7th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Matthias you should read all of Shaun's post.
As an owner of every bmcc camera it's quite accurate.... And pretty friggen funny.

As far as your opinion that the gh4 and A7s wouldn't exist without the bmcc... We don't allow trolling on the forum thanks.

Shaun Roemich
September 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
An oversight on my part:

I forgot to use the words "game changer" in my previous post.

Darren Levine
September 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Sorry but it was to long so I didnt read all of it :)
But my point stands, BMD is the ONLY camera manufacturer that gives two s...s about their customers.
/M

not that i disagree with you, but we're talking about the same company that plastered that silly ad in tons of magazines that had a headline to the tune of: "world's most amazing digital cinema camera"

yea, amazing in it's lack of some of the most basic camera functions of the current decade.

in any case i'm glad they're still trying.

Mattias Burling
September 8th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Ive also bought all three BMD cameras, two of them twice.

Have never in my life seen an ad for a BMD camera so I cant say anything about it.
But still which camera would you say is more amazing, I think thats pretty subjective and even a Sony nex5 could be concidered most amazing.
I have never bothered with comparing spec charts on phones, camera or cars so it lacking a feature or function that some people feel they need isnt something I take into concideration, I look at what MY needs are and decide whats important. With the BMCC 2.5 K the look holds alot of weight IMO.

But that wasnt my point and has little to do with what I said that didnt seem to sit well with some (god knows why), my point was how many other cameras have you owned where the company for free keeps on ading features. I have never experienced it before and I like it.
Specally when I have always done what you said Darren, I bought it for what it i today :)

Love your reviews btw and have watched pretty much all of them since the AF101 video :)

(and dylan, I was very clear of it beeing my opinion, maybe you where joking or maybe not but the only post close to beeing trolling is yours)

Darren Levine
September 8th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Ive also bought all three BMD cameras, two of them twice.

Have never in my life seen an ad for a BMD camera so I cant say anything about it.
But still which camera would you say is more amazing, I think thats pretty subjective and even a Sony nex5 could be concidered most amazing.
I have never bothered with comparing spec charts on phones, camera or cars so it lacking a feature or function that some people feel they need isnt something I take into concideration, I look at what MY needs are and decide whats important. With the BMCC 2.5 K the look holds alot of weight IMO.

But that wasnt my point and has little to do with what I said that didnt seem to sit well with some (god knows why), my point was how many other cameras have you owned where the company for free keeps on ading features. I have never experienced it before and I like it.
Specally when I have always done what you said Darren, I bought it for what it i today :)

Love your reviews btw and have watched pretty much all of them since the AF101 video :)

(and dylan, I was very clear of it beeing my opinion, maybe you where joking or maybe not but the only post close to beeing trolling is yours)

it most certainly does always come down to whether it works for you or not. BMD created this fence of fans on one side, and aggravation on the other, not sure how long it will take for them to overcome the rocky start, but the new firmwares are certainly a good step.

and thanks for watching the reviews!

Darren Levine
September 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM
oh there it is, just found that ad...

Shaun Roemich
September 8th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Mister Levine - I believe I have found the problem: your contact information states that you live in Astoria New York.

CLEARLY the ad states that you would be shooting the next HOLLYWOOD blockbuster on the camera.

You are on the wrong coast - simply pack up your belongings and move to southern California and all will be resolved.

<tongue planted firmly in cheek>

Darren Levine
September 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Mister Levine - I believe I have found the problem: your contact information states that you live in Astoria New York.

CLEARLY the ad states that you would be shooting the next HOLLYWOOD blockbuster on the camera.

You are on the wrong coast - simply pack up your belongings and move to southern California and all will be resolved.

<tongue planted firmly in cheek>

HA, i stand completely and utterly corrected!

btw, look a just a tad closer at the fellow in that ad... yes, he is indeed wearing earbuds! so he's either monitoring audio(recall, this ad is well before the new audio meters), or he's listening to his ipod.

Ted Ramasola
September 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Ok, I don't own a BMCC camera so I can't verify this;

I've read somewhere that, while you can now format the SSD in-camera, you still can't delete individual files?

If this is correct, then isn't the ability to format in-camera rather moot?

My idea was. the reason to format in-camera is so you can use this in the field, so unless you can offload files in the field, you would not format in camera, but if you could off load in the field, then you might as well format it via your computer which you are offloading to.

Am I missing something?

Noa Put
September 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Now that would be a little to much to ask, probably for the next firmware update as a part of their excellent service in providing free updates. :)
Just kidding but "formatting" means to me erasing the entire disc and if that would be the case then indeed it would be a quite useless feature as most would expect being able to select clips and delete them separately.

Shaun Roemich
September 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
O
My idea was. the reason to format in-camera is so you can use this in the field, so unless you can offload files in the field, you would not format in camera, but if you could off load in the field, then you might as well format it via your computer which you are offloading to.

Am I missing something?

Unless I'm mistaken, there is something specific to SSDs and the read/write cycles and fragmentation that a full format is strongly recommended to prepare the the media for recording.

I don't know about your workflow Ted but on recordable media, even after backing up/offloading media I try to keep the newest media on cards until I need to format the media for immediate use.

Old habits die hard perhaps.

Addendum: and I for one NEVER delete single files in the field. Ever. But, I do carry extra media for every shoot.

Dylan Couper
September 10th, 2014, 08:19 AM

Maybe you don't know what trolling means. :)

Allow me to fill in so you can see where the rest of us are coming from. Black magic isn't giving you new stuff for free, they are fixing ridiculous oversights that no reliable company would have made in the first place in order to make their camera usable an not lose sales. Caring about you the user is relative only to the massive complaints about their camera.

The only company I know of who ads features above and beyond for free on a regular basis is Red. Sony and canon do to a rarer degree but charge for it. Sony is actually great for firmware updates on certain lines (thinking of the ex line).

blackmagic sells and ships cameras that are incomplete and not fully functional, then gets around to adding what they promised in the first place just in time to announce the new got camera that doesn't exist and gut the value of their current camera.

And this is not my opinion, it's recent history.

Shaun Roemich
September 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Mattias, before you think we're dogpiling you, please understand that between Dylan and I, we own or have used a VERY significant percentage of the BMD line. I can tell you with complete honesty that I have had at least some level of issue with every single piece of BMD gear I own/have owned and I've shot almost everything Dylan owns (except the Pocket Cinema).

He and I have been in the industry in excess of 15 years, in corporate, industrial, broadcast (in my case) and cinema (in Dylan's). He runs a very successful indie ciné rental shop and I mostly run my mouth off. We attend NAB every year together (at least for the past 5 years) and BMD is ALWAYS near the top of the list to see what is new. I have spent a couple of hours talking to the folks in their booth, both sales support AND engineering.

We're not making this stuff up.

Again, I do realize you are new to DVInfo and we welcome you but you may have noticed that DVInfo is different than most of the other boards in that we are real names and very TRUTH oriented. Which is why I stay on here even though I have essentially withdrawn from every other forum I used to frequent. Including BMD's own forum.

Oh and by the way, Dylan IS a Wrangler on here, which means he is a moderator, and is a personal friend of Chris Hurd, the very kind Texan who gives us this forum to talk about all things video.