View Full Version : by Adam Wilt: First Look: Sony PXC-FS7 L.S.S. Shoulder-Mount Camcorder, part 1

Chris Hurd
September 12th, 2014, 05:47 AM
As I post this, Sony is announcing the PXW-FS7 “Vérité” at IBC 2014 in Amsterdam. The FS7 is a large-single-sensor camera designed for handheld and shoulder-mounted use. Sony’s Senior Product Manager Juan Martinez sent me a pre-production prototype. This article is a first look based on a couple of days of poking and prodding it; it arrived without any instructions and with version 0.06 firmware. Firmware version 0.07 and a preliminary copy of the ops manual showed up late Wednesday. New E-Mount lenses may appear later today or next week, which will provoke a follow-on article (so far I’ve made do with a selection of Nikon primes and zooms via a $23 Nikon-G-to-E-Mount adapter I bought when the FS100 came out, possibly the biggest photographic bang I’ve ever gotten for 23 bucks).

Read the full article at First Look: Sony PXW-FS7 L.S.S. Shoulder-Mount Camcorder, part 1 at DV Info Net (http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/first-look-sony-pxw-fs7-l-s-s-shoulder-mount-camcorder-part-1.html)

Tom Roper
September 12th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I love all the reviews from Adam Wilt and Art Adams.

Excellent, both!

Thank you.

Tom

Dylan Couper
September 13th, 2014, 11:36 AM
As if I didn't want the FS7 enough already... :)
Excellent write up!

David Heath
September 13th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Truly excellent article, and should be compulsory reading for anybody interested in this camera. This camera has the possibility of rewriting the market for large sensor at this price point and finally brings sensible ergonomics to this type of camera.

Kevin Good
September 22nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the write up.

How do those rolling shutter numbers compare to other "similar" cameras like the F5 or the Canon C100/C300? Anybody know?

Darren Levine
September 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
decent number of videos to look at now... https://vimeo.com/groups/sonyfs7

James Huenergardt
September 29th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I'm assuming the handle can be detached as well if you want to put the camera on a rig.

Glen Vandermolen
October 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
I'm assuming the handle can be detached as well if you want to put the camera on a rig.

Yes, it can.