View Full Version : Which camcorder to buy ?

Mick Hurst
September 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I have been looking at the Panasonic v750 & xc-920 / Canon G25 /G30 or XA10 ?
Which is best for complete novice ?
I'm looking to buy a new camcorder in the very near future, as I'm quite new to this subject I need some advice. The camcorder must be capable of filming HD video of a indoor stage with lighting changes. It would be a benefit if it had input for external microphone and good battery life. Can you suggest some options in different price brackets due to I'm still deciding on money available.

I will have to be film from the back of the auditions which is approx 30 metres away, this will be at an elevated position due to the tiered sitting and I'm really looking for a camera which is fully automatic due to how new i'm to this process.
My maximum budget is £1000.
Which is the best option ?
Look forward to the reponse and advise from the experts in this field.

Jody Arnott
September 19th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I would highly recommend the Canon XA10 in that price range (or the new XA20 if you can stretch your budget to £1500).

The XA10 was the first "pro" video camera that I owned when I was a novice, and it does very well in full auto mode but also has the ability to be operated in a variety of manual modes.

However the XA20 is a much improved camera, with a better lens and sensor, 50/60p recording options, and a much better OLED touch screen.

The G30 is also a very good camera. I believe (from what I've read) that it is basically the same camera as the XA20, but without the XLR microphone inputs.

Kyle Root
September 19th, 2014, 08:05 AM
In lieu of an XA10/20 - consider the new Sony AX100. It has a bigger sensor and better controls for manual control if needed. (I own an XA20 and am considering selling it and getting the AX100.) I've spent a lot of time fiddling with the AX100 at our local shop and I like the way the controls are laid out better.. .plus the bigger sensor is better in low light. Plus it shoots 4K if needed later.

Jody Arnott
September 19th, 2014, 09:21 PM
In lieu of an XA10/20 - consider the new Sony AX100. It has a bigger sensor and better controls for manual control if needed. (I own an XA20 and am considering selling it and getting the AX100.) I've spent a lot of time fiddling with the AX100 at our local shop and I like the way the controls are laid out better.. .plus the bigger sensor is better in low light. Plus it shoots 4K if needed later.

Agreed, the AX100 looks like a great camera. No XLR inputs is a downside though. I'm interested in the PXW-P70 when it comes out, but it's a little over Mick's budget.

Bryan Cantwell
September 22nd, 2014, 02:31 PM

His max budget is £1000, the AX100 is over £1500.

Roger Gunkel
September 22nd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Hi Mick, welcome to the forum :-)

I've been using several Panasonic SD700s and 750s for a few years for shooting live stage events from 20 to 30 metres. I am still using them because they have been totally reliable in spite of regular knock and bangs, even after many hundreds of hours of recordings. The low light ability and sensitivity to stage lighting and colour changes has always been good and I would expect the 900 & 920 versions to be even better. The newer models look virtually identical although the sensors are bigger. They also retain the mini jack headphone and stereo mic input sockets, and most importantly a large lens ring which is excellent for manual focus or switching it to aperture/zoom/white balance adjust.

The wifi control for live shooting could also be very useful for controlling locked off cameras to change zoom etc when used for multi camera shoots.

Roger

Mick Hurst
September 24th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Hi Roger,

Thank you for the warm welcome and great advise, its always better to get advise from people at the front line and who are using these camcorder's. You can only get so much information from reviews & in local shops.

Thanks again.
Mick

John Nantz
September 24th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Mike - not knowing your video asperiations, realize this can become and adictive and expensive hobby.

It would be a benefit if it had input for external microphone and good battery life. .

An external mic is pretty much a requirement in advancing one's video capabilities beyond the basic youtube home video. If a camera doesn't have some sort of input for an external mic, say even the basic mini, then do a pass.

At least with a mini stereo input one can add on a preamp that will provide XLR capability for the external mic(s), along with better signal-to-noise capability and added audio controls such as for gain. Check out juicedLink | Homepage Title (http://www.juicedlink.com/) as once source for low noise preamps, and there are others. A used pre would allow a broader selection of cameras that only have mini mic input to choose form but be able to provide the better XLR input capability. With XLR capability one can run cables to get the mic(s) closer to the sound source; hence, even better audio.

Mark Ahrens
September 25th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Auto mode for performances almost never produces an acceptable result. The most reliable i've found (for my b-cam-Canon G30) is spotlight auto mode with 'exposure compensation' which allows you to alter the auto mode by degrees. For instance, the camera exposes for the brightest element onscreen / a spot lit performer but all the rest of the stage is dark - you bump it up a few notches without blowing out the main performer but allowing the background to still have some detail.
Much preferable is to shoot in manual and ride the iris to expose best for each changing light set.
The G30 is ok for this but an iris ring is much better and easier to use.
A cam with XLR and iris ring for under $1k is a tough match . . . you should look to buy used if that is truly your need and limit - IMO.
You can buy an XLR to 3.5mm adapter for like $20.