View Full Version : FS100 recommended ND filter for beach weddings

Frank Garrod
September 29th, 2014, 06:55 PM
We are picking up our new FS100 because of it's low light capability but hear it's tough outside.
A lot of our weddings are in Florida and most on the beach.
I have read a lot of negative feedback on variable nd filters.
What would be my first nd filter to purchase for a bright beach.
I am sure I will need a few, but the cost of a few is not achievable right now.

Paul Wood
September 29th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Hi Frank,

Despite what you may have read about variable NDs (and like all filters, they have their limitations), using a quality glass filter is pretty much essential for the FS100 shooting outside. I use the Heliopan and Genustech, and they are very useful for controlling exposure.
Try and go for a 77mm size, and use step down rings, and this means you can use on a wider selection of lenses in the future.
You should also use some type of lens shade or matte box to keep away unwanted light..

An alternative would be an ND 1.8 fixed filter, but of course you lose the ability to use the filter to adjust exposure, which is a great way to work with the camera, letting you keep the aperture where you want it to give the DoF you need.

Heliopan 77mm Variable Gray ND Filter 707790 B&H Photo Video

Genustech 77mm Eclipse ND Fader Filter G-ECLIPSE77 B&H Photo

Frank Garrod
October 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Is there a recommended filter number to use as a basic ND filter for average bright days?
Thank you

James Manford
October 2nd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Having different shades of ND on my FS700 is invaluable outdoors. The amount of times i've changed 'shade' to control exposure etc.

Trust me, in Florida you will be best to get a Fader filter as shown in the links above for the ability to change levels.

A fixed one, is a waste of money in my opinion.

Jeff Kirkland
October 3rd, 2014, 12:27 AM
I have both a fader ND and a set of fixed ND filters. If you are working run and gun, then get a fader ND. When I'm working in more controlled environments and am using a light meter to expose, I need to know exactly how many stops of ND is in front of the lens so then it's the fixed ND.

For what it's worth, if I had to add one fixed ND for a typical Australian summers day here, I'd probably run with and ND8 (3 stops) and just stop down the lens from there. At a guess that'd let me operate somewhere around f/5.6 or 8 at ISO 640

Frank Garrod
October 3rd, 2014, 08:47 AM
Thank you to all who have replied. I will get my filter order right away, and look forward to using the FS100 over my Canon XLH1

Brian Murphy
December 17th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I know this thread is somewhat old but just in case I am posting and probably should have posted some time ago but been working. Best excuse right folks?
I use the FotoDiox Pro Variable ND Throttle on my FS100 and it has made the camera one heck of a lot more light friendly. It is a very well made lens adapter, in my case Canon EF and the optical quality is very good. I use it with my Rokinon cinema set as well as my Nikon and Contax lenses. For the one hundred bucks it is a super value and one hell of a lot easier to use than 4x4's when the camera is on your shoulder and no fingerprints. So for those looking at this thread, its another option and one I prefer over all the other NDs in my bag for most of the stuff I shoot.

Oren Arieli
December 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I wanted to add that my experience with the Kenko Zeta ND-8 has been very positive. It was worth the premium for zero-reflective (super multi coated) glass.