View Full Version : This could change the world

Kevin Spahr
October 4th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Scientist Design a Multispectral Imaging System Capable of Obtaining 12x more information than the Human Eye (http://biosciblog.com/A38.html)

Wonder how long it will take a smart camera maker to get these on the market?

Colin McDonald
October 4th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Full colour information from a smaller sensor chip - let's hope the end of the cult of overused excessively small DoF is in sight. :-)

Peer Landa
October 4th, 2014, 11:19 PM
let's hope the end of the cult of overused excessively small DoF is in sight.

I disagree -- I'm a whore for more shallow DoF.

-- peer

Dave Baker
October 5th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Full colour information from a smaller sensor chip - let's hope the end of the cult of overused excessively small DoF is in sight.I agree, I'm fed up with the world looking as if nothing is more than 3" thick.

Dave

Brian David Melnyk
October 5th, 2014, 05:59 AM
This post deleted... Misread former posts!

Brian David Melnyk
October 5th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I also think SDOF is great, if tastefully used....

Dave Baker
October 5th, 2014, 07:43 AM
........... if tastefully used.... The magic words!

Dave

Denis Danatzko
October 5th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I'm no physicist, but my impulsive response is: if the human eye can't see/recognize all that extra detail, would the use of these new sensors be restricted to specific security-related applications, such as those mentioned in the article? Even if displays/monitors were capable of reproducing the extra detail, would viewers "see" it?

Peer Landa
October 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM
if the human eye can't see/recognize all that extra detail, would the use of these new sensors be restricted to specific security-related applications, such as those mentioned in the article?

In post, with super highres footage (from those sensors) you'll have more leverage to push in, pan across, and tweak it beyond any regular HD footage -- no matter if its final destination is only 1080p.

-- peer

Chris Medico
October 5th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I'm no physicist, but my impulsive response is: if the human eye can't see/recognize all that extra detail, would the use of these new sensors be restricted to specific security-related applications, such as those mentioned in the article? Even if displays/monitors were capable of reproducing the extra detail, would viewers "see" it?

The real benefit here is to gather all the needed information in regards to luminance and color with a single pixel instead of how we do it now via groups of pixels.

Andrew Smith
October 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM
The Foveon sensor chip (http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=67) uses a similar scheme, and whilst delivering stunning optical clarity off the chip, it has some practical use limitations.

Andrew