View Full Version : Trying to find the best editing laptop.

Travis Heberling
November 4th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a powerful laptop to do my video editing(Sometimes 4k), and after effects work on the road.

I have been looking at the MSI laptops the most. I have really liked the GS70 and GT70, but if someone has a different brand recommendation I am all ears.

I am wanting something either out of the box or able to be upgrade to:
i7
16-32GB ram
1 SSD and 1 Standard Drive
Nice Video card

Bonus Question: If I go with a laptop without the optical disc drive does anyone have a USB bluray/dvd drive they recommend?

Mark Williams
November 4th, 2014, 03:08 PM
This looks really interesting Acer's V Nitro Black Edition Rocks 4K IPS Screen (Updated) (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-v-nitro-black-edition,28002.html)

Battle Vaughan
November 4th, 2014, 11:11 PM
You might look here: custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks (http://www.sagernotebook.com/). They custom-build high end gaming and workstation laptops on the Clevo chassis. I have been using their 9170 with 32 gb ram, 2 hard drives plus an ssd cache drive, and an NVidia board and a Blu-ray drive for a couple of years with complete satisfaction. Their newer models have progressed on from there with the new 4-th gen cpu's and such. Usual disclaimers apply, I have no connection except as a customer....

Jim Michael
November 5th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I have an MSI and like it. The only negative is the weight, this one is a 15" but due to the screen aspect ratio it is almost as large as a 17". Very stable running Windows 7 Professional & Edius 6.5.

Kyle Root
November 5th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I use a Dell XPS 15 with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM and an NVidia graphics card that I like pretty well.

I got it from the Dell Outlet as a New unopened item for $1200 or so. A super bargain.

If you want to go custom, also check out Puget Systems.

Chris Medico
November 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Does your chosen editing package have any suggested models?

As and example I'm using an Avid certified Dell M4800 for Media Composer and it works great.