View Full Version : My second wedding highlight (Asian wedding)

Al Wong
November 17th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Hey guys. I've been a long time lurker on this forum, but never posted. This past wedding season, me, my wife and my good friend decided to dabble into the wedding videography business. It took up a lot of courage to do this, because I had never done video in a high paced environment before, . Our first wedding was very intimidating, but the couple knew that it was our first (so we charged them almost next to nothing). After our first hands on experience, we learnt a lot from our mistakes, and had a second wedding booked the next month. The difference was that this was an Asian wedding! The pacing was really intense, and we had to jump from location to location all day long with very limited time to setup in between. I hope you guys can give me some constructive feedback on our highlight, so I can further progress as a wedding videographer! Cheers!

Judy + Kelvin | Wedding Day Highlight on Vimeo

Adrian Tan
November 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Hey Al, welcome to the forum!

I don't have much to say. I thought your video was great; please post more!

Shot by shot it seemed very controlled, beautiful. Some great low angle slider shots, and very smooth steadicam. Groom prep felt like you'd shot it a hundred times and knew exactly what you were doing. And everything through the day seemed to be covered, which can be very tricky for Asian weddings. Music sometimes was very emotional and sometimes didn't quite fit or interfered (like when groom was singing). Ring shot at the end was inventive. Only real thing to work on for next time is cleaner sound if possible for speeches and vows.

Al Wong
November 18th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Adrian! It really means a lot coming from a pro such as yourself. As for the audio, I want to know what you think could be cleaned up with the vows? As of right now, I have the groom and minister mic'd up with Zoom H1's and lapel mics. I know for a fact that the brother's speech at the reception would be a bit of a problem. For some odd reason, all our audio recording devices picked up a ringing noise, except for one Zoom H1 which was a backup sitting on the head table next to the bride and groom, so I had no choice but to use that clip to sync. Right now for our gigs, we're running Rode Videomic pro's on our cameras and 3 Zoom H1's placed at the head table, the podium and one next to a loudspeaker. Perhaps I should try and plug one into the mixer next time??