View Full Version : P2 Files and Apple OS X 10.10.1 - Copying files to computer

Ed Fiebke
November 24th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Hello -

I recently updated my Mac Pro computer to OS X 10.10.1. Overall, things seem to be working well. So far, I'm able to edit video and sequence music without issues using my usual programs (Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Adobe's Creative Cloud programs, Digital Performer 8). However, I am JUST finding out that I am unable to copy the appropriate files from my P2 card to a designated folder for editing. The camera I'm using is Panasonic's AG-HPX170. The camera itself is functioning as intended. (I love the camera.) The P2 cards appear to be functioning as intended as well. Because I am able to copy files from it's P2 cards to my editing SSD using an earlier OS (10.9.5), I do believe that it is the current version of Yosemite that is causing the problem.

Are others experiencing similar problems? Beside booting up from an earlier OS (like I had to do to copy the files), are there any other solutions to this situation?

Thank you for any insight to what I hope to be a fixable problem.

Gary Nattrass
November 27th, 2014, 03:19 AM
This is quite usual when a new OSX comes out and it takes panasonic and apple a short time to update the codecs in quick time. It used to be part of a pro apps update on the older FCP 7 but as the new OSX only uses apps via the store I am not sure what update applies now.

I am still running FCP 7 on 10.10.1 but will do some importing to see if I have the same problems with my HPX371 camera.

Ed Fiebke
November 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Thank you for the thoughtful response, Gary.

What I have been able to do (prior to OS X 10.10.1) was drag (copy) the two main files from the HPX170 (connected to the Mac Pro via firewire) onto a designated folder within my designated video-editing SSD. This process has been flawless up until now. It even seemed to work with "just" OS X 10.10. When I attempt to drag (copy) these two main files, NOW, there is the usual indication that those files are being copied, then at around 300 + MB into the process all copying stops. No further copying is done.

What I haven't done (nor have I ever attempted to try it this way) was ingest the video files from the HPX170 (while connected to the computer) using FCP-X. When I get a few moments either tonight or tomorrow, I'll see if this "method" of copying the video files will work in this manner.

Again, I still blame OS X 10.10.1. With all prior versions of Apple's Operating Systems, copying the files from the P2 card(s) have been flawless.

Edited to add: After some experimentation, I am finding out that I can ingest the videos using my two video-editing programs (Final Cut Pro X and Prelude/Premiere CC 2014). This is an entirely new work-flow for me. It's probably a work-flow that I should have been using since updating/upgrading to these these particular programs. Although I do prefer my older work-flow of directly copying the files from the HPX170 as I have been able to do pre-OSX10.10.1, this newly discovered work-flow will work just fine. I know that I am under-utilizing most of my audio & video editing programs. But once I establish a work-flow that is dependable, I tend to stick to it, sometimes at the expense of taking a deeper look into the programs that I use and learning their "advanced" features. This is a welcomed find! I still wish that I was able to copy the files the "old way". Don't know why I'm unable to do it the "old way' since updating to OS X 10.10.1. But, I guess I can learn new tricks, I guess. LOL! Hopefully this newly discovered way of ingesting video from my happy HPX170 will continue to be a reliable way of ingesting (copying) video as I was able to do prior to the OS X update.

Gary Huff
November 28th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Try it over USB and not FireWire.

Ed Fiebke
November 30th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Try it over USB and not FireWire.

It works! Go figure! I forgot that the HPX170 even had a USB2 port. I set its USB2 port to be used as a "Device" and did what I would normally do to copy (ingest) the files from the P2 cards onto my video editing drive, as I would do using the Firewire port. Worked just fine, using the USB2 and with the current OS X 10.10.1 installed on my computer.

I am so confused as to what is happening, though. For as long as I've had my two Panasonic AG-HPX170s, I've been able to copy (ingest) the video files onto my video-editing drive flawlessly. It's only been since that update to 10.10.1 that I began experiencing the problems as described in my earlier posts here. YET, I am able to ingest the video files from the HPX170 via the Firewire port when using either Final Cut Pro X or Adobe's Prelude/Premiere Pro CC 2014 programs. Same videocameras. Same Firewire Ports out of the videocameras. Same Firewire Port into my Early 2009 Mac Pro computer. Same Firewire cable(s). Could Apple's OS X 10.10.1 update somehow corrupted the Firewire ports for usage?

I know that others who've updated to 10.10.1 are experiencing problems, although not necessarily associated with their Firewire ports.

I will say that, SO FAR, my audio and video editing programs seem to be working as intended. It's only this one issue of ingesting the video files from my cameras via the Firewire port that seems to be problematic (in no small way).

It's nice to have choices. I can ingest video from my P2 cards using the USB 2 port. I can also ingest video from the P2 cards while using either Final Cut Pro or Adobe's Prelude. I just not able to use the Firewire Port at present. Oh well. . .

Gary Huff
November 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM
FireWire connection to the HVX/HPX was primarily for PowerPC Macs, as the USB transfer had issues that would corrupt footage. With the switch to Intel Macs, you should pretty much just use USB from now on.

Ed Fiebke
November 30th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Gary - Just want to thank you for your thoughtful input to this. Thanks!

Gary Nattrass
December 1st, 2014, 02:25 AM
Apple do not support firewire on their new macs so I suspect the drivers may have been removed from the latest OSX versions, I always use USB anyway as that is what my cameras have for data dumping.

Ed Fiebke
December 1st, 2014, 05:35 AM
Apple do not support firewire on their new macs so I suspect the drivers may have been removed from the latest OSX versions, I always use USB anyway as that is what my cameras have for data dumping.

Oh gosh, I would hope that Apple didn't remove their Drivers supporting FireWire from their latest Operating Systems! There are still a whole lot of users who own "older" Apple computers who are successfully using those ports. I plan on hanging on to my now-aging Early 2009 computer for at least a couple of more years. At present it runs great, with the exception of the issue that I present here.

Gary Huff
December 1st, 2014, 11:26 AM
I don't think they removed the drivers, but that you shouldn't rely on it at all if you don't have to. If you absolutely need 100% robust FireWire support, probably best to stick with an older OSX.

I divested myself of all FireWire gear last year, seeing as Thunderbolt is where it is going.

Gary Nattrass
December 1st, 2014, 11:39 AM
Sorry for any confusion they probably won't remove the drivers altogether but as they don't use firewire anymore I would be surprised if they have people checking them or writing code to suit future updates, the same goes for serial and sata etc.

There again it does force people to buy apples new kit doesn't it, I have a macbook pro with pro tools 8 and FCP7 but the new macbook pro I got this year will not run pro tools 8 as it trashes all the audio drivers.

Gary Nattrass
December 3rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
P.S

Just noticed that there has been a Pro Video Formats update done today the 3rd Dec for Apple that includes AVC Intra etc for OSX 10.10.1

Ed Fiebke
December 19th, 2014, 08:46 PM
. . . Just noticed that there has been a Pro Video Formats update done today the 3rd Dec for Apple that includes AVC Intra etc for OSX 10.10.1

Just a follow-up FYI - I did install the Pro Video Formats update that was available earlier this month. Since then, I was able to ingest video from my HPX170's P2 card via the FireWire port without issue.

Interestingly, having since successfully copied (ingested) the video files via the HPX170's USB2 port, it seems that the process of copying those files is faster through the USB2 port than through the FireWire port. It's not like I'm doing this all of the time. I might try a more respectiful "test" to see which is faster and more dependable at a later time: Copying P2 files via the FireWire Port verses the USB2 port. For now, though, it is nice to know that I have a choice between the two (which I didn't know existed before this whole situation arose).

Daniel Epstein
December 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM
I think the Firewire on the HPX 170 is 400 not 800 so the speed differential might be very small between 400 and USB 2.0 for file transfers.

This article tested this and had situations where USB 2.0 was faster and other times Firewire 400 was faster

FireWire Vs USB: Which Is Faster? | PCWorld (http://www.pcworld.com/article/185415/article.html)