View Full Version : Video glitch

Pete Cofrancesco
November 27th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Recently I had a weird video glitch without warning the image changed color and became grainy. I stopped the interview and had to turn the camera off/on to fix it. The remaining 3hrs of interview the issue didn't reoccurr. I'm now afraid this could happen during a live event. I'm going to call Sony see if this is a known issue that can be fixed. I'd like to avoid buying a new camera. I can post pics.

Noa Put
November 27th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Was the whitebalance and exposure set to manual?

Adam Gold
November 27th, 2014, 11:11 AM
From the very vague info given, sounds like you're about to blow a chip.

Pete Cofrancesco
November 27th, 2014, 09:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/h1GlT6y.jpg

Noa Put
November 28th, 2014, 02:06 AM
I think it's time to either have your camera serviced or replace it with a new one, when that would happen with one of my camera's I would not use it again on a paid assignment.

Adam Gold
November 28th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah, based on the frame grab -- and I am not a service tech, so this is just a guess -- it looks like the green chip is a goner.

Or, for the standard diagnostic fee at Sony, they may tell you it is the Main Board.

My guess is it will cost more to fix than it would to find a nice used Z1 at B&H.

Pete Cofrancesco
December 1st, 2014, 05:03 PM
I talked to Sony. They said it wasn't worth repairing and most likely caused by over heated sensor. I actually filmed a depo with it today without issue but I had my backup ready to go but for a live event not worth the risk.

I think I'm going to replace it with a JVC GY-HM600 because it records to two sd cards simultaneously, time/date stamp, SD, and long zoom. The Sony NX5U is my 2nd option but cost $800 more with the backup drive.