View Full Version : Hi. New F3 Owner Here

Keith L. Adams
December 8th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Is this an active Forum, the dates of the latests posts are from months ago? I'm hoping the dates are just messed up.

Andrew Smith
December 9th, 2014, 03:09 AM
An F3? Oh, that old thing? :-P

Andrew

Bill Ward
December 9th, 2014, 09:37 AM
There are still a few of us old dinosaurs here. Do you have a question/comment/issue?

Keith L. Adams
December 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Great, signs of life! I bought the F3 but don't have it yet, but I'm going to have lots of questions.
Thanks a lot.

Chris Medico
December 9th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I suspect much of what you might want to know has been discussed in this area already. Be sure to search around some before making a new post.

I still enjoy shooting with the F3.

Keith L. Adams
December 9th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I suspect much of what you might want to know has been discussed in this area already. Be sure to search around some before making a new post.

I still enjoy shooting with the F3.

Thanks, and I'm sure your right, but I can promise I will be asking questions about previously discussed topics. As old as most of these posts are there has to be some more recent opinions and products to talk about.

Doug Jensen
December 10th, 2014, 01:15 PM
May I make a shameless plug for my 4-hour training video?

MASTERING THE SONY PMW-F3 CAMCORDER (http://www.vortexmedia.com/DVD_F3.html)

Andrew Smith
December 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Is Doug. Is good! (beats chest)

Seriously, if Doug's training videos didn't exist then the whole industry would be much poorer for it.

Andrew

Dave Sperling
December 10th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I'd also suggest Doug's (Vortex) training video as a great jump start.

Yes, there are a number of us out here who still use and love the look of the F3 - and continue to make clients happy with the results. Last used it two days ago, plus three days the previous week, you get the idea...

Keith L. Adams
December 11th, 2014, 09:14 PM

I will definitely look into it, Thanks guys.

Bill Ward
December 14th, 2014, 08:02 PM
If for no other reason than it has a great picture profile starting point that is so good, it has been known to cause open sobbing by editors in the NLE room overcome by the saturated splendor. Not to mention all the other ins and outs of the camera operation it'd take you months to suss out by yourself.

Buy it now before the camera even arrives.

Andrew Smith
December 14th, 2014, 09:31 PM
In fact, if it was any better it would come with its own drool tray.

Andrew

Bill Ward
December 15th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Mine came with the tray, but the drool pads were next to worthless. ;}

Doug Jensen
December 16th, 2014, 02:15 AM
You guys crack me up!

Keith L. Adams
December 17th, 2014, 02:47 PM
You had me at drool. I did purchase one by the way.

Keith L. Adams
January 15th, 2015, 10:12 PM

I'm really enjoying the training video so far, thanks.

Doug Jensen
January 20th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear it! Thank you very much.

Keith L. Adams
January 30th, 2015, 03:55 PM
"MASTERING THE SONY PMW-F3 CAMCORDER" Was very well done. I have an EX3 so
some of it was a review for me, but since I don't use the camera every single day, it was nice to get a review. I wish there was something like this for shooting S-Log. Thanks.

David Peterson
July 1st, 2015, 01:45 AM
Keith, you're not the only new F3 owner around.... I just purchased and collected an F3 this morning! :-D

Currently sussing out on extra accessories I'll be needing for it as I trawl through eBay (need a rod system for instance, as I've only borrowed them before on shoots, never owned my own).

Les Wilson
December 1st, 2016, 02:28 PM
Bumping this thread as a newcomer to the F3. I ordered Doug Jenson's tutorial same day I ordered my camera. Perfect pace and level of detail.

I'm adding the F3 to an EX1r. Has anyone done profiles for those two when used together?

Bill Ward
December 2nd, 2016, 08:49 AM
Les: If you can find Doug's EX-3 everyday PP and largely copy it over to the EX-1R, I bet you'd be close. I found the EX-3 and the F3 WYSIWYG files to play together nicely. (Although I backed off the black crunching a bit over time, especially indoors.)

You will probably notice the F3 is less noisy and has a more rich color, so a little post pushing will likely be needed for a perfect match, but it is achievable.