View Full Version : For Christmas 2014 I bought for myself ....

Andrew Smith
December 27th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Finally after all these years I got around to buying a BluRay player (http://www.sony.com.au/product/bdp-s1200). Got it on special for only $80. It doesn't do as much as the other players, but it plays BluRay discs for sure.

And you?

Andrew

Mark Williams
December 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I bought my first one last year because they were so cheap. Funny thing is I have yet to play a blu-ray on it. I use it to stream Netflix and play DVDs.

Andrew Smith
December 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
I grabbed the Guardians of the Galaxy Blu-Ray disc as it was also on special (so that I would have something to play).

The thing that was most disturbing to me is that, in doing so, I had just paid more to watch the movie again than I paid to see it the first time. Now I am left with a disc taking up space on a shelf.

Andrew

Mark Watson
December 28th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Well, the more times you watch the BD movie, the better of a deal it is, eventually break even :)

I jumped the gun and bought the Toshiba HD player, just before BluRay won the war. Now have both.

For Christmas, I got myself a VHS-DVD combo machine, Canon 6D and 16-35mm 2.8L II lens. Thought I had the ultra-wide angle range covered since I got a Tokina 11-16 years ago, but that lens seems to only be usable on FF camera when its at 16mm end of range, so more like a prime.

Mark

Donald McPherson
December 28th, 2014, 04:38 AM
And it's such a shame Adobe has ditched Encore :'(

Phil Goetz
December 28th, 2014, 09:07 PM
How about "borrowed"? I left the office with e Sony A7s and Atomos Shogun... I take it ba ck tomorrow, Monday... :)

Steven Digges
January 1st, 2015, 06:12 PM
Phil,

With your inventory you chose a A7s to borrow? I thought I could think of something sarcastic and funny to say but I can't because maybe "I get it". I don't get out my good stuff to shoot my kids opening presents or blowing out candles, I use my phone! I have too many years with a camera on my shoulder, it's work. An A7s would be perfect for the 25th of December ;)

Steve

Edit: But, when your first Sony PXW-FS7 arrives I will be happy to borrow it and write a review.

Barry Hunter
January 20th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Following a tour to China in 2012 we made a DVD & a BluRay version, shot on a Sony NX30e, edited in Edius & authored in Encore, the difference in quality between th 2 versions was amazing, especially the night time shots in Shanghai on the river! There hasn`t been the massive sea change toward BluRay in the same way as from VHS to DVD but still worth the purchase!

Ervin Farkas
January 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Bluray is dying. I do have one in my bedroom, but watched a ton more DVDs on it than Blurays.

I offer my clients Bluray at the same price as DVD and invariably get the "just get me a DVD" answer.

Phil Goetz
April 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Yeah... can you ever get enough 4k video of your kids...

Robert Benda
April 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM
I bought my first one last year because they were so cheap. Funny thing is I have yet to play a blu-ray on it. I use it to stream Netflix and play DVDs.

The only blu-ray I made a point of buying was the "Planet Earth" collection. That is excellent. My player came in my PS3, though for a while we also had a stand alone that could do streaming. Now Amazon's Fire Stick rendered that obsolete.

For Christmas (or later, actually, to treat myself), I got a 3dR Iris+ Drone and GoPro Hero4 Black. A new laptop. That's a lot for me.