View Full Version : Recording formats on the NX3. Newbie question!

Gregg Malmborg
January 23rd, 2015, 05:36 AM
G'day all,
Don't know if this is the right forum, so feel free to point me in the right direction. I pick up my new HXR-NX3 next week,my first "serious" camera..LOL. I am a bit bewildered by all the formats, I am doing lots of reading,but would also like some opinions on the best format/ settings to get good quality footage for you-tube and to burn to DVD.I edit in FCE on a Mac. My understanding is to record in the best possible format and then compress the file for the particular upload?
Thank you !!
Cheers Gregg.

Ross Hunter
January 28th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Gregg,

I, too, am a new owner of the Sony NX3/1. I've had it a couple of months. Everything I've recorded has been 1080p at 30fps. I record AVCHD and let FCPX convert it to ProRes. Then compress for the target use.

I saw another of your posts about recording trains in the US. You got good advice on audio. I used to record a lot of trains back in VHS days. I've not yet had an opportunity to use the NX3 for any railroad photography. I'm waiting for better weather.

The advice you got to avoid trespassing on railroad property was good. I've never been hassled by railroad or civil police for photographing from public property. I do hear some people advise carrying photos of your work to show in case someone tries to give you a hard time.

Gregg Malmborg
January 30th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Hi Ross, thanks for the reply! I'm used to DV so this is all new to me, I'm reading heaps and slowly getting a handle on the new (for me!) technology. How do you like the camera?, I get mine next Tuesday, so looking forward to learning about it! I guess the way to go is record the highest you can , then compress it for the desired output, .."target use" is that correct?..LOL all these new terms. The audio advice has been great and I appreciate all the advice . I have decided to go with a Senhieser MKE-600 on the NX3 and a Zoom H5 recorder for stereo ambient sound, I need to be mobile so I can't have too much gear as I'm on foot and public transport for most of the trip. I hope this combination gives good results?
As for railroad safety, I work for a railroad down here, so I will be carrying my ID and hopefully I will get in contact with local rail depots and let them know what I'll be up to and of course, staying of private property !
This will be my first trip overseas and I'm really excited about seeing and recording trains I've modeled since I was 13 yrs old!
Thanks again for the info.
Cheers Gregg

Ross Hunter
February 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
I don't have a lot of time with the NX3 and almost all of it has been indoors. I'm still trying to learn the camera and experimenting with different setting. I'd like a shallower depth of field, but those cameras were out of my price range. If I had the money, I'd love to have an external recorder. I read comments from people who don't like the AVCHD recording. I'm such an amateur that I don't see the problems they see. For what I'm recording AVCHD works just fine. Someday someone will show me the defects they see with AVCHD and I'll be ruined forever. :-)

Will your US travels bring you to Virginia? Drop me a private message if you'll be in my part of the world.

Gregg Malmborg
February 5th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Ross, I have my camera now , but I've come down with some flu, aching all over and so tired, so I have only had a quick look! I found a very good video on you-tube about the older NX5, which is very similar , and it goes through the camera with some detail( about 35mins).I haven't read any negative remarks on AVCHD, but I'm sure it dosen't suit every application but It will be perfect for me., it's just the audio that will be interesting..LOL
I will be in Canada and mainly the West Coast on this trip, but I watch many ( ok 100's) of rail videos on you -tube and I really like your part of the US, I will let you know if my plans bring me to your neck of the woods!
If not this trip, certainly the next one.

Cheers Gregg

Mark Owens
February 6th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Hi Greg here is a link on the site regarding NX3 I found these videos very helpful. purchased my camera back in September 2014 very happy with it. I have set my recording to FX 1080/50i
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-avchd-camcorders/524869-would-you-still-buy-nx5u.html

Gregg Malmborg
February 7th, 2015, 02:53 AM
Hi Mark , thanks for the reply! I always find these forums difficult to search in..LOL I've been watching a video of the NX5 on you-tube from a DVD, being so similar, it has been a great help, but I will definitely check out this link.
I had a good play today and I must say, with the manual settings, my love of photography has come back to my preference for video! I will try both the 1080 and 720 x 50 p FX settings, I find the 25p is a bit jerky in the viewfinder while panning? Shooting in 50 p, I believe the min shutter speed ( for good results)is about 100 sec, so adjusting the iris gives me the depth of field I enjoyed in still photography!! Does this sound right to you?, today was overcast then sunny, so I tried walking around adjusting the iris for various results while keeping the shutter speed above 100 sec and up . Anyway , all newbie stuff I'm afraid, but I LOVE the camera and I've already uploaded a test clip to Final Cut Ex, so ti's all good so far..LOL Now , off to look at the links you suggested!
Thank you Sir.
Cheers Gregg.

Ross Hunter
February 9th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Gregg

I sent you a message through DVInfo. Did it find its way to you? I've not tried that feature before and suspect I did something wrong. I've never received one that I'm aware of, so don't have a clue what you should look for.

Ross

Gregg Malmborg
February 11th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Hi Ross,
No message as yet? I can't find a "personal message "bin? All I see is "send message via email".
I will check my emails again and let you know!

Cheers Gregg

Ross Hunter
February 13th, 2015, 10:14 AM
If I could remember what I wrote, I'd put it here.

I can't find any record of sent messages.

Gregg Malmborg
February 13th, 2015, 05:55 PM
LOL..I just sent you a message to see if I can do it??

Ross Hunter
February 15th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Beats me how sending an email through this site works. I don't see any indication that you sent me a message. I sent myself one, too. I don't see that either. I don't see them at the address for the subscription to this site.

As best I recall, I asked about the site for your uploaded NX3 test images. And I sent you a link to my YouTube channel with some old train videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEBccXSXzhzA6jl-xciaatQ The older ones were shot years ago on VHS. The most popular one appears to be the 1218 video.

The Tour de France was shot on my Canon HV30. The short Christmas parade video was shot on the NX3. The other stuff was shot with a friends borrowed RCA something or were done in conjunction with another friend. I believe he shot his video on a Canon D5. I hope to get back trackside this spring and summer with the NX3.

Ross

Gregg Malmborg
February 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Hi Ross, just watched the videos, the NX3 was crystal clear even in the low light. Can I ask what settings you used to upload to YT. I assume it was H264, but what data rate did you use? I've read around 8000kb is good for high quality? I'm having fun learning the camera, but we are having storms and a cyclone up north , so it's been raining ever since I got the camera home..LOL If I shoot in 1080-50i (it's PAL down here) the preview player crashes in log and transfer if I play the clip, but it transfers ok if I just upload it. It's fine in 25p but the image is jerky in the viewfinder while shooting , but fine on playback? A question for the FCE forum I guess.
I will check out your Chessie system vids!
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers Gregg

Ross Hunter
February 21st, 2015, 07:41 AM
Gregg,

I liked many of the videos on your YouTube channel. I plan to return and checkout the weathering videos in particular

I use Apple's Compressor to prepare YouTube files. Here's a few of the basic settings:
1280x720 29.97
H.264 multi-pass
under the Quicktime settings: Restrict to 8000 kbits/sec

I think the parade was recorded with the Picture Profile setting 4.

I haven't noticed any jerkiness in the viewfinder. Thus far I've mostly used the LCD screen to monitor.

I hesitate to put my email address here in "public", but you can get to me via this web site: WJMA Home (http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/) At the bottom of the page is a link to contact the webmaster. I'll get back to you and we can correspond privately. Messages come to me at work, so it'll be Monday in the US before I see anything.

I think I can send you a copy of the YouTube compression settings. You can adjust them for PAL.

Do you know the Facebook page for the NX3? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1381616175444904/ I sometimes get some good info from that page.

Cold and snowing here today.

Ross

Gregg Malmborg
February 22nd, 2015, 12:30 AM
Hi Ross,
Just sent you a message via your YT channel, that should work..LOL
Those settings are what I've seen, so I'll try that. The viewfinder is perfect in 1080-50i, but if I try to play the clip in the log and transfer player it crashes Final cut, it imports fine if I don't preview the file? If I shoot in 1080-25p, the image is a bit jerky in the viewfinder, but perfect in log and transfer and I can preview the clip as well?? It's like 50i is too big for the preview? Tried shooting some buses on the busway today to compare the two , hard to tell the difference , but it's raining again so that's it for me. Glad you like the videos , I'm new to weathering, but I do enjoy it.
Cheers Gregg