View Full Version : mic holder?

Kent Beeson
January 25th, 2015, 06:05 PM
What would you recommend for a sennheiser make 600 shotgun mic to be able to fit into a SONY fs7 or fs700 or Canon c100 or 300 mic holder?

The senneheiser is too small diameter to fit snugly - it falls out of sony or canon mic holder - I'd like something perhaps foam-like that slips over the mic and would be moldable enough that the sony or canon mic holder could hold mic in place - I don't really want a shock mount holder but rather use on camera holder but for the MKE 600, which has a smaller diameter...thoughts?

thanks kent

Dave Sperling
January 25th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I often visit my local fabric store for a variety of 'accessories'
One of my favorites is a material (I think it may be used for table pads?) that has fabric on one side and a light foam rubber on the other side. For microphone mounting I cut a strip about 10" long and 1.5" wide and wrap it around the mic before placing it in the camera's mic holder. It not only increases the mic diameter, but adds a little extra bit of shock mounting.
The same material is great for packing various pieces of gear - the fabric side cam be fastened easily using male velcro as well...

Kent Beeson
January 25th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that info...do have have a quick photo I could see? I'll go and look for this fabric asap

And does it make the mic fit so well it can't slip out?

Mike Watson
January 25th, 2015, 11:19 PM
You can get one of these:

WindTech Hot-Shoe Shotgun Microphone Clip CM-21 B&H Photo Video

They're available in different diameters to suit your mic.

Kent Beeson
January 26th, 2015, 09:49 AM
thanks for replies - sounds like that fabric solution works best - do you know the name of what to ask for?

Christopher Young
January 30th, 2015, 02:07 AM
Or a black neoprene, like wet suit material, computer mouse pad. Cut wraps out of it for the mic and it can be held in place on the mic with that very thin double sided adhesive tape. Additional shock absorption and looks the part.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Jim Michael
January 30th, 2015, 05:49 AM
I bought a sheet of Sorbothane which is a rubbery material used for vibration reduction. Cut a piece the width of the mic holder and length of the mic circumference.

Kent Beeson
January 30th, 2015, 09:42 AM
good helpful thoughts - admittedly I'm looking for something that you don't have to use any tape at all - just wrap the mic and the material expands to fill that mic holder gap, be it SONY FS7, 700 or Canon C100/300

Kent Beeson
February 1st, 2015, 09:21 PM
1 last question - could someone tell me the exact diameter of the FS700 and/or FS7 mic holder? Canon C300 if you have one as well :)

Danke

Christopher Young
February 2nd, 2015, 02:03 AM
The mic holder is just on 29mm metal to metal but don't forget there is a rubber insert sleeve inside it that is part of the holder. That rubber insert has eight rubber 'grip bumps' moulded into it that point inwards to actually grip onto the body of the mic. Four bumps in the top half and four in the bottom half. As near as I can measure the distance between opposing grip bumps is just on 25mm.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Kent Beeson
February 2nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
thanks very much Chris

very helpful -

I take it you're talking about the FS700 and/or FS7?

Wonder if the mic holder for canon C100/300 is any different? Just trying to have a universal solution - might just by that sorbehthane as recommended by Jim

Christopher Young
February 3rd, 2015, 06:56 PM
Doh! Yes we are talking Sony FS700 here.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney