View Full Version : Sony NX3, What can I use the BNC for?

Darryn Carroll
February 5th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Hey All, new to the Sony NX3 and am curious what the BNC connector is for. I assume its an output source. I have only used composite and HDMI as outputs in the past. I dont have any cables with that connector on it as yet, that's why I am asking. I wondered if I can connect to laptop somehow.

Jeff Pulera
February 5th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Hi Darryn,

On the NX3, the BNC output is "NTSC composite video", just a standard-definition analog output. It is the same video you would get using an RCA connector - the BNC connection is used for pro applications as it is a locking connection. The video quality is the same. You can buy a BNC > RCA adapter for a buck or two.

Note that SDI and HD-SDI also use BNC connections (HD-SDI not offered on NX3). This is an uncompressed digital stream with video and audio (up to 16 channels). The HD-SDI connection is similar to HDMI and can have up to 16 channels of audio embedded with the HD video. A benefit of HD-SDI is that you can have cable runs of up to 300 feet with no signal loss, or longer if using re-clocking boxes. This is what is used at sporting events and for other broadcast needs, studio, etc.

But again, the BNC out on NX3 is simply NTSC composite video, HD-SDI not offered on that model.

Thanks

Darryn Carroll
February 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks Jeff, just the answer I was looking for. Off to Radio Shack to get an adapter, then I should be able to output SD via my BNC. Thanks again.

Jeff Pulera
February 5th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Hurry up before they padlock the doors. Unfortunate that so many well-known stores are going under these days, hopefully they can somehow hang on as I love going to the Radio Shack down the street often.

Darryn Carroll
February 5th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Ok, home and playing. Video looks ok but no audio. I think my usb adapter is an older 2.0 unit. Will investigate further.

Jeff Pulera
February 5th, 2015, 02:01 PM
How are you monitoring the audio? Also curious why the composite monitoring, rather than HD via HDMI

Thanks

Jeff

Darryn Carroll
February 5th, 2015, 02:11 PM
At the moment, I do not have way of HDMI in to my laptop. I have an older Dazzle USB adapter. I may have used the word composite when I meant component. Ironically I had a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle a few months ago for a different project but returned it. What I remember from the Shuttle was we could not get HDMI to work.

Tom Van den Berghe
January 5th, 2016, 12:09 PM
very usefull information because I also have a nx3. They asked to record/film a soccer game on sunday. They want it to broadcast it live if possible. I can buy a encoder that turns the hdmi out into usb and laptop will recognizes this (elgato game capture hd)

They have wifi (wireless internet) there. But I'm a bit scared my laptop will be too far away to receive the wifi signal. I'm going to film outside the soccer game near the field and the wifi is inside a basement in the building.

I thought putting the laptop inside the building as close to the wifi so I have connection a use a long bnc cable from camcorder to the encoder.

Ok, it will be just dvd quality but I think it will good enough. Or use a long hdmi cable?

any thoughts?

Jack Zhang
January 5th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Don't use HDMI straight from the camera. Those only run for 50 meters with a good quality cable, 25m for a cheap quality one.

Rent a HDMI to HD-SDI and a vice versa converter. The Elgato I don't believe has legacy Composite support and Composite DOES NOT CARRY AUDIO. HDMI and HD-SDI does.

Tom Van den Berghe
January 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM
It worked with a 123m utp (internet) cable!! this with the elgato hd game capture and youtube live events.
I could stream 720p without problems.