View Full Version : G30 Zoom Button Makes Noise

Daren King
February 9th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Anyone notice when they zoom in their toggle button makes noise that is picked up on the audio ?

Alan Craven
February 9th, 2015, 08:17 AM
It's not the zoom button that causes this, it is the zoom servo motor that you hear. The solution is to use an off-camera microphone, with good isolation from the camera - or avoid zooming while shooting.

Don Palomaki
February 9th, 2015, 08:26 AM
To add to the above, the audibility of zoom noise will increase in relatively quiet venues when using audio AGC. That is the unfortunate nature of in-camera mics.

The mic hears all sounds that reach it no matter the source, and the AGC tries to make all sounds reaching the mic about the same level.

Daren King
November 24th, 2016, 12:21 AM
the button makes the noise even when camera is turned off.

Don Palomaki
November 24th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I thought the G30 has rocker switches for zoom control, not buttons.

There may be slight mechanical noise depending on how the rockers are pressed, and the notes above about internal mic pickup of any handling still apply. If the noise is substantial the switch may need repair.

Dave Baker
November 25th, 2016, 04:40 AM
The easiest way is to paste this out of the manual: To zoom in and out, you can use the focus/zoom ring, the zoom rocker on the camcorder, the zoom buttons on the wireless controller or the zoom controls on the touch screen.

I almost never zoom while shooting, preferring to set the focal length first. When zooming I use the rocker switch exclusively and have yet to hear any noise when I have done it. (FYI my G30 is three years old).