View Full Version : A few rookie questions

Rob Philip
February 18th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Hi all,
I realize this is an "old" camera and most may not be reading here anymore. I purchased the camera 2nd hand on ebay and it has been great! I'm a hobbyist and just wanted a small, good quality camcorder to shoot in HD, in addition to my DSLR. Since I think it will probably come up, I shoot mostly just landscape/cityscape and adventure type vacation documentary for home video sort of purposes. Nothing fancy.

1) What framerate should I be shooting in, the majority of the time? I have been doing some tests and some reading, and I decided on 1080/30p. It gives me the look I'm going for without being to "filmic" for my purposes. I understand the basics of framerate, and what I shoot will rarely, if ever, call for slo-mo but there may be a pan or something I want to slow down sometime. Is that a problem?

2) Firmware - My cam says CAM 1.07, ARM 1.07, EEPROM 052. Does anyone know what the current version is or where I might find it? I tried the online part of JVC's site but it doesn't seem to work with my data. My camera is capable of using class 10 cards (I've been running 2 Sandisk 32gb with no issues) but I wanted to see if I could/should get the most up to date firmware.

3) Optical image stabilization - Do you use it all the time? Sometimes? When should I be using it? I know it shouldn't be used on the tripod, but I don't always remember to turn it off. Will this damage the camera? It has an annoying kind of push at the end of a movement if I forget to turn it off. Is there anything that could go wrong leaving the image stabilization on all the time? It does smooth out the video somewhat even at a wide view.

Thanks!! Sorry I know these aren't normally the type of questions you all get, I'm not in the industry. I love the camera and bought it after much research, but can't afford to mess up my camera!

Joachim Claus
February 19th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Hallo Rob,
I do not know which camcorder you are talking about. I can just guess, a HM100?. I have a GY-HM100 and use it mostly with a single pod. I have switched the optical stabilizer on, all the time. If the camcorder is not heavily moved, the stabilizer has no function and does not modify the recorded media. Leaving the stabilizer switched on does not harm the camera.
With regard to video format, I personally prefer 720P50 (PAL country). I selcted the 720P format, as the three sensors have a native 1280x720 resolution, and 1920x1080 format is generated by interpolation processing. I selected 50P, as it improves time-resolution and sweetens fast objects. In sports clips, I even set the manual exposure time to 1/100 s (default in 50P is 1/50 s).

The firmware Update can be ordered from JVC
JVC Professional Customer Support - Firmware Upgrade (http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=36)

Good luck and keep filming,

Joachim

Rob Philip
February 19th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Sorry! Yes the HM100U. I've tried the firmware update on the website, but it keeps giving me this error:
We are unable to determine current version of software you have. Click here to go back and try again.

Not sure if I'm doing it wrong. Thanks for your reply! Did not know that about the native sensor resolution.

Joachim Claus
February 20th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Hi Rob,
I think the firmware upgrade function of JVC homepage does not work. I tried with my own data and it also comes back with the error message, that my camcorder version could not be determined. I think you should send an e-mail to JVC Pro service and ask them for support.
Joachim

P.S. I have downloaded the latest firmware from JVC-Professional Europe for my GY-HM100E. The latest version has ARM 1.07 and enables class 10 SDHC-cards. So, Ithink, that your firmware is the actual one.

Petter Flink
February 23rd, 2015, 11:42 AM
The CAM 1.10 solves an interlaced problems running 1080p30 @1/30 and p25 @1/25.

I had my HM100E (european) model updated by JVC. They did it in-house since several internal systems had to be updated. I got it back 3-4 days later at no cost at all even though it was out of warranty.
The camera had CAM 1.11 and some later of the others was also of a later revision.

JVC customer service is top notch!

Rob Philip
February 23rd, 2015, 08:19 PM
I read about these issues, yeah. I haven't experienced them yet. I shoot in auto the majority of the time. Is this something to worry about? Does it happen only in manual mode?