View Full Version : Applying 2.LC_709TypeA curve too aggressive

Omar Nabulsi
February 19th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Hi guys,

I have a test clip I shot in S-Log2. When I apply a 2.LC_709TypeA look profile in Catalyst Prepare, the saturation and contrast becomes way too aggressive. I have seen online all sorts of examples where people are applying such look profiles and getting beautiful results. I cannot understand why anytime I apply the same look profile, I get just blocky and aggressive results.

Note I do not believe the fact that I am applying the look in Catalyst Prepare has anything to do with it. I believe I would get results had I applied it in camera as well. I attached two screenshots that show the differences between S-Log2 and S-Log2 with the 2.LC_709TypeA curve applied. Any tips or hints on why I am getting such skewed results is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Omar

Bill Ward
February 20th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Try it in camera, and see what happens. (Instead of just "believing" it will)

Omar Nabulsi
February 20th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Same thing happens in camera as well. This is very strange!

Mark Kenfield
May 27th, 2015, 10:58 PM
The standard LC709A is designed for the gamut/gamma combination of Sgamut3.Cine and SLOG3. And will skew standard Sgamut and SLOG2 into places they're not really supposed to go.

You really want to be shooting SLOG3/Sgamut3.cine if you want to take advantage of the lovely colour transform that LC709A gives you.

The only way to make it play nicely with SLOG2 is to shoot in raw and combine SLOG2 with Sgamut3.cine in post - which does create a nice 'standard' Rec709-type look (with the added benefit of SLOG2's better highlight handling.