View Full Version : 5DIII + Ninja Star = good/bad?

Markus Nord
February 25th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Hello fellow filmmakers!

anyone got experience with the combo 5DIII and Ninja Star (or other Atomos products)? do we gain any better image with this typ of products?

I'm planning to upgrade my camera to C100II and thinkning of ading the Ninja Start to that camera, but till then, would I benifit from getting the Ninja Star befor to use with my 5DIII?

Cheers from Sweden

Gary Huff
February 25th, 2015, 12:14 PM
You will be hard pressed to notice any visual difference with a Ninja Star.

Markus Nord
February 26th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Hi Gary

Is that your own experience?
have you done any test for your self?
(no offence, just would like to know where the info comes from...)

cheers

Gary Huff
February 26th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I have had a Ninja-2, and a Ninja Blade and I currently own both a Ninja Star and the Shogun. They are excellent additions to my kit. But if you are looking for something that's going to make you feel like that was money well spent just by looking at the footage it produces, you will be disappointed.

I have these recorders because I know exactly why I want them and what I am going to use them for. If you are just looking to make your 5D Mark III look better, it's not going to do that.

Markus Nord
February 27th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Thank you Gary for that info.

Are you using them with a 5DIII?
I do some Green screen work sometimes, and I was thinking if the Atomos product would benefit that type of work. I've been trying to find info about this but have not found any.

for Nikon, it bumpt up the resolution a bit, but what I understand, the look is the same with/without on the 5DIII. But is the camera sending out more info though HDMI that the Atomos product can record that the camera can record for it self?

If you have time, what are you using them for?

/Markus

Gary Huff
March 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM
No camera gives more "resolution" to an external recorder. It can look more detailed because the bitrate is high enough to resolve finer details, but most people cannot notice this without zooming in to the picture in a way no one will ever actually watch it.

As for green screen, it depends on your level of skill with pulling a key. I have seen some great keys done with first generation Canon DSLRs and terrible keys pulled from REDCODE.