View Full Version : Nikon D750

Kyle Root
March 11th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I ordered one today with the 24-120 F4 lens from Adorama.

Since I'm actually planning on doing a lot more wedding photography this year, and still doing wedding videos, I opted for the D750 - due to it's power aperture, tilting screen, and FX sensor.

This looks to be a significant upgrade from my D90 which I was using for photos, and my Nikon V1 which I was using for video.

Now, I have both in a single camera and I'm looking forward to that.

I'm probably going to pick up a refurb D7100 for $699 as well to have a 24MP backup and so I can continue to use my Tokina 11-16 and 17-55 for the wider stuff for now.

Dave Morrison
March 11th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Really anxious to hear your thoughts on the 750 as I've been wanting to get one for several months now. Give it a good workout and tell us what you think. Or, if you don't like it.....get in touch with me. ;-)

Kyle Root
March 12th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Yeah I'm curious about how well it works as well.

My driving factor was on the photography side, with the additional benefit of video.

This camera will also hopefully complement my second shooters Sony a7s (for wedding work), as far as it being full frame. We'll see how that goes. I'm sure I'll be doing more shot matching in post, but it should be a fun experiment.

As soon as I get it and have tested it out, I'll report for sure.

Vincent Oliver
March 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM
I have been using the D750 since October 2014 together with the 24 - 120 f4 lens. I can vouch for the quality of both camera and lens, a superb combination. I haven't used it professionally for video as yet, but have run a few test on that and it does look superb footage. I n the high Quality mode you will only get 20 min shooting time, but in Normal quality mode you will get the full 29.59 shooting time. Don't let this put you off, as most sequences will only last a minute or two, unless of course you need to video an entire wedding ceremony or stage production. I have a large collection of older manual Nikon lenses and they work very well with the D750 video. If it is video that you want then maybe look at the Sony AX100 and use the Nikon as a B camera.

Kyle Root
March 12th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Vincent,

Thanks for the insight on the combo. In the back of my mind, I figured that "surely" the video quality would be better than the V1.

On the video side, I intend to use it primarily for bridal prep and reception... so yeah, I'm not at all concerned about the 20 minute limit in High Quality mode. Although, with some of the wedding ceremonies I had in 2014, 20 minutes is enough time for a wedding ceremony - I had two that were about 18 minutes in real time start to finish. lol

I can't wait to get it and try it out. I have a high school prom mini photo shoot next Friday, and I'm going to give it a good workout.