View Full Version : Big doubt - Canon x Nikon

Rafael Lopes
March 17th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Guys, I've been a Sony user for many years as a photographer and videographer. I love their lcds and evfs (I own an A99 and A77II), but they lose light with the translucent mirror, the A99 has a slow AF compared to the competition, both are worth iso performers than the competition and Sony doesn't have a 50mm or an 85mm f1.2 (plus Sigma and other brands always neglect Sony in favor of veterans like Nikon and Canon).

My doubt today is between the 5D III or the D750.
- Both brands have similar performing glass.
- D750 has faster af for photography.
- D750 is a better low light performer in noise and af.
- D750 has an lcd which is one of the things I would miss the most from Sony.
- D750 is less expenssive than the 5D.
- D750 live view AF is supposed to be bad, but so is the 5Ds (I've never ran comparisons)
- I don't need 4k, but even with it's regular codec the 5D is better than the D750's codec (then again the A99's codec is pretty week and I've been living with it)
- I don't see many people shooting wedding with Nikon when it comes to video...then again, when it comes to photography it's right there with Canon and the D750 has thr 5D beat in AF and low noise.

I'd really like to go with the D750 but I'm afraid to encounter the problems I have with Sony when it comes to getting video gigs.

Any thoughts?

Noa Put
March 17th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Is there any reason why you are not considering a sony a7s?

Rafael Lopes
March 17th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Because I'm also a photographer an the AF and lens offer for e-mount leaves much to be desired.
Big points for the D750 on the codec and high iso side...one just has to be on the look out for the models that suffer from the LIGHT LEAK ISSUE!

Ryan Douthit
March 23rd, 2015, 10:02 PM
I own a Sony A7S (just for video) and just bought a Nikon D810 (for photos mainly, but also for occasional video). I just returned from a shoot in Texas with the Nikon where I did use it extensively for video.

If you plan to use either the Canon or the Nikon it's almost required to have an external monitor. But in terms of video quality the D810 kills the 5D Mk III in video features and quality. I've edited lots of Canon 5D footage and it doesn't hold up to the Nikon. It's my understanding the D750 has similar video quality to the 810. So that's good. It may not have HDMI out for a monitor, however. That can be an issue.

For photos, the dynamic range in the Nikon is amazing and is ahead of Canon, imho. I used to be a huge proponent for Canon. But they seem to have lost the plot lately.

Kyle Root
March 25th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I'm working on my Nikon D750 review right now, from a wedding and event perspective.

Holy moly - I shot my first DSLR wedding this past Saturday using the D750, 70-200 VR2, and 17-55 F2.8.

I absolutely love the look, when you can get shots in focus. I'm guessing that I have about a 25% keeper rate for in focus shots during the processional. Focus is incredibly difficult. I'll have to practice a lot more with that.

Another bonus is the flat picture profile - which goes a long way to shot matching and color correction later in post.

As far as photography goes - 100% awesome camera. Love it.

Dylan Couper
March 28th, 2015, 05:25 PM
This is one of those things people over think too much...
Both cameras are fantastic, buy whichever lens system you prefer, in three years you'll replace the body anyway.

Shaun Roemich
March 30th, 2015, 10:19 AM
This is one of those things people over think too much...

In principle, I agree wholeheartedly. The question is whether you work directly for end clients - if you freelance for producers, they may well have their own ideas around what camera system you "need" to use (I sold off all my cameras for exactly that reason). If you produce content for the end client, let your demo reel and/or body of work do the talking for you.

Jacques Mersereau
April 1st, 2015, 01:58 PM
I know a lot of people like the Mark III, and it is a good solid performer, but *for me* the 800's look (now the 810) is amazing. We just got a A7s kit, but I have yet to get with it. From what I have seen, I still prefer the Nikon 800's look.

Chris Joy
April 6th, 2015, 07:26 AM
This guy does a pretty good job of dissecting the functions of both cameras. I agree with others, its all about the lenses. If you're shooting with the A99, either one will look better IMO because there's so much aliasing and moire in the A99 files. I shoot with the Sigma Art 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 a lot, paid less than $700 for each, and they're amazing lenses.

Nikon D750 vs Canon 5Diii Epic Shootout Review | Which camera to buy? | Tutorial Training - YouTube

I've considered switching from the 5D3 to the D750 - mostly because I'd like to shoot with the 14-24 along with the two Sigmas and I prefer shooting with a tilt LCD. I use the outer focusing points a lot, so I'm hesitant to make the move at the moment. Moire, aliasing an rolling shutter looks good on the D750, its pretty much a non-issue on the 5D3. D750 video looks to be sharper than the 5D3 and the file sizes are smaller.

Rafael Lopes
April 6th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Waiting for my D750 to arrive :)

Chris Joy
April 22nd, 2015, 01:03 PM
I bought a D750 too. So far I love it.

Kyle Root
April 22nd, 2015, 01:44 PM
I'm shooting a promo this week and next and am using the D750... and I'm really loving it in this kind of scenario where I have time to set up shots, focus, and not be too rushed.

It's nothing like a wedding. lol

I'm finding the Standard Picture setting at AWB2 (warm color keeper) to be a winning combo because I'm not doing any significant post work on these clips. They are coming straight out of camera looking stunning quite frankly.

Slowing down 60fps to 50% is amazing as well.

Chris Joy
April 23rd, 2015, 07:53 AM
I'm shooting a promo this week and next and am using the D750... and I'm really loving it in this kind of scenario where I have time to set up shots, focus, and not be too rushed.

It's nothing like a wedding. lol

I'm finding the Standard Picture setting at AWB2 (warm color keeper) to be a winning combo because I'm not doing any significant post work on these clips. They are coming straight out of camera looking stunning quite frankly.

Slowing down 60fps to 50% is amazing as well.

I'm going to try those settings over the weekend. I've been using the flat profile to maximize DR and just doing a custom WB.

David Peterson
June 2nd, 2015, 11:02 AM
Good choice! The Nikon D750 is the best DSLR on the market to film with! (Though personally I tend to prefer mirrorless)
Nikon D750 Review - initial thoughts and video footage (http://www.eoshd.com/2014/09/nikon-d750-review-initial-thoughts-real-world-footage-ladies-gentleman-contender/)

Dylan Couper
June 3rd, 2015, 01:08 PM
In principle, I agree wholeheartedly. The question is whether you work directly for end clients - if you freelance for producers, they may well have their own ideas around what camera system you "need" to use (I sold off all my cameras for exactly that reason). If you produce content for the end client, let your demo reel and/or body of work do the talking for you.

Super easy solution... take a sharpie and black out the name on all your cameras... then buy a label printer and change it from Nikon to Canon to Sony between your shoots. :)

David Peterson
August 18th, 2015, 09:24 AM
*double post* /delete