View Full Version : I cheaped out on some heads - base plate too loose.

Jordan Brindle
March 21st, 2015, 05:12 AM
Hey guys,

So i cheaped out on a couple of manfrotto 701 knock-off heads for an upcoming shoot. Everything is solid except where the base plate slides in. Its wide and with a battery grip on my DSLR's, i can't turn the nob fully to tighten it to the plate. Unlike the manfrotto heads there's no stopper/optimal tightening point you just have to keep turning till its in. Got a shoot coming up which I'll need them for. Anyone got any solid DIY recommendations to 'fix' this? I'm toying with the idea of just packing out the plate clamp!

Cheers.

James Manford
March 21st, 2015, 05:59 AM
If theres one thing I learnt is that you cannot cheap out on Tripods, Heads, Monopods etc. I've been down that avenue and spent my money twice, or even three times. And now have all Manfrotto and other high quality stabilizing equipment.

It pays for itself because during the heat of continuously filming it's these tools that keeps your camcorder stable and secure. If they fail, your whole shoot will be comprimised with inferior footage.

Bit like saying that tyres are the only thing keeping your car stuck to the tarmac, so you shouldn't cheap out on them.

I would just sell what I have now and cough up the price required for the genuine article.

Jordan Brindle
March 21st, 2015, 06:12 AM
If theres one thing I learnt is that you cannot cheap out on Tripods, Heads, Monopods etc. I've been down that avenue and spent my money twice, or even three times. And now have all Manfrotto and other high quality stabilizing equipment.

It pays for itself because during the heat of continuously filming it's these tools that keeps your camcorder stable and secure. If they fail, your whole shoot will be comprimised with inferior footage.

Bit like saying that tyres are the only thing keeping your car stuck to the tarmac, so you shouldn't cheap out on them.

I would just sell what I have now and cough up the price required for the genuine article.

Totally agree, seems i learnt my lesson the hard way!