View Full Version : Oops, no LANC

Chris Hurd
April 9th, 2015, 07:28 AM
As I mentioned in another discussion, there is no remote jack on the XC10.

Which means, no way to use a hard-wired LANC remote lens controller on this camera. I was only half joking when I mentioned gaff-taping an iPhone to the tripod pan handle and running the zoom over WiFi, but that might be the best way to do it at this point.

When I asked Canon USA about this yesterday, the answer was: "the XC10 does not have a remote jack, but it does support wireless remote control through the Browser Remote function. When this feature is engaged, the XC10 becomes a WiFi hotspot and can be accessed through Web Browsers like Safari, Firefox, etc. through a variety of devices including smartphones, tablets and desktop computers."

I'll be very interested in hearing about some real-world experience with the control-over-WiFi route. Perhaps there's a market for a standalone controller that connects over WiFi, or the other available option, USB. I don't know what the technical and power limitations are for going that way, though.

It probably wouldn't be such a big deal to me, except there's no zoom rocker on the camera either. But maybe I shouldn't be changing focal length during the shot anyway.

Bryce Comer
April 9th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Here's the product video.

Introducing the Canon XC10 - YouTube

Emmanuel Plakiotis
April 9th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Criss can you ask Canon if the zoom is motorized, because from the pictures it seems it's manual only. For me it's not big deal, but for drone use could be a serious handicap.
If it is indeed mechanical, maybe this camera will kick start the market for wifi zoom rockers...
Also please ask if there is any kind of stabilization at 4K mode

Chris Hurd
April 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Will do. Have an appt. with CUSA on Monday.

Emmanuel Plakiotis
April 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Hi Chris,

Did you check about the lack or not of the 5 axis stabilization on the 4k mode?

Chris Hurd
April 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Hi Emmanuel,

I'm sorry, NAB was a blur. I'll get some clarification about this from Canon USA.

Philip Lipetz
April 26th, 2015, 11:23 AM
5 axis stabilization is only in the HD mode. They were quite clear about this. In 4K mode there is only the OIS.

Gary Huff
April 26th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry, NAB was a blur. I'll get some clarification about this from Canon USA.

Not exactly clarification on this point, but I was watching the Trick Shot BTS and it does appear that the zoom is motorized when they had a quick shot of the lens extending.