View Full Version : HDLink won't convert Canon MOVs in Windows 8

Bill Engeler
April 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I recently moved from Windows 7 to 8, and now neither HDLink nor GoPro Studio Premium will convert MOV files from a Canon 7D to Cineform. MXF files from a XF300 convert wthout a problem. GoPro's help files mention this Windows 8 limitation, but don't say anything more about it.

My workflow up to now has been to use HDLink to convert all my original files to Cineform for editing. I know I can use Adobe Media Encoder to convert the 7D files, but I like to use First Light, which I understand needs the GoPro converted files.

Why the limitation to Windows 8? Is there a workaround?

Dave Morgan
March 28th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I am on win 10, I seem to be able to convert things fine, have not tried canon mov. If you can upload a short clip I can see what happens, just like a 30 second clip of whatever. black footage if you want.

Bill Engeler
April 1st, 2016, 02:24 AM
I just changed to Windows 10, and can report that HD Link converts MP4 (the largest format) files from a Canon 7Dmk2 just fine. It also converts MXF files from a XF300.

First Light appears to work OK as well with these converted files, but any other Cineform files, i.e. those created using Adobe Media Encoder, will make First Light crash.

Unfortunately GoPro doesn't really support First Light any longer, and HD Link is rather slow, so I'm not sure if it will figure in my workflow any longer.

Gary Huff
April 1st, 2016, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately GoPro doesn't really support First Light any longer, and HD Link is rather slow, so I'm not sure if it will figure in my workflow any longer.

Considering that most NLEs handle native Canon DSLR footage quite well now, I'm curious why you feel the need to transcode everything?