View Full Version : Best formats & settings...avoid rolling shutter?

Steven Digges
April 18th, 2015, 03:13 PM
My cameras are the Sony EA50 with a mechanical shutter. AVCHD, 1080 up to 60Por 60I. Native 1080x 24P. I don't care about a film look. I want the most stable image I can get.

What is the best format for avoiding rolling shutter? Is there a difference between progressive or interlaced? What shutter speeds work best?

I know this a basic question and I have tested and looked into it before. I just want some real world advice from you guys. When your camera is going to be moving what do you do to avoid the ugly affects of rolling shutter?

Steve

Jack Zhang
April 23rd, 2015, 02:37 PM
Generally with budget large sensor cameras, the faster the frame rate, the better it does. Use 60p to make the sensor scan faster and it minimizes but doesn't eliminate the effect of rolling shutter.

Progressive and interlaced recording make no difference except for the final recording quality. The sensor still scans just as fast.

Good tips for rolling shutter shooting are in this OLD Panasonic HPX300 video, which had the effect WORSER than most modern DSLRs, and it was a 3 chip 1/3'' camera:

Working with 3MOS Imagers on Vimeo