View Full Version : Status of that Creative Cloud discussion post

Andrew Smith
May 5th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Hi Chris,

There was a discussion on CC which was closed for some "quality control" pruning a few days ago. I don't seem to be able to find it at all. There were some really good posts in it (especially mine :).

Is there a status update?

Andrew

Chris Hurd
May 6th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Sorry for the delay, Andrew -- it'll return to public view later today.

I'll post the link here as well.

Andrew Smith
May 11th, 2015, 05:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64

:-)

Andrew

David Knaggs
May 12th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Hi Andrew.

I know you're keen to see those worthwhile posts restored, but I understand why it's been taking Chris some time. I think DV Info's policies make it the special place it is, with its high-signal low-noise trademark. It's also a place where the members, in the vast majority, respect each other, even when their video/film experiences might be quite different and can lead, quite naturally, to a differing point of view. If stated respectfully and with no "make-wrong", the respect usually remains between both parties.

What aids that, for example, are policies such as no "controversial" subjects (politics, religion, drugs, etc.). I think that avoids areas where people have the most "fixed ideas". To me at least, a sign of someone with a fixed idea is when they stop looking and listening and do nothing but assert "I-am-right-and-you-are-wrong". All I can say is, "good luck" if you wish to further communicate to somebody stuck with a fixed idea. Nobody wins out of a situation like that (in my opinion). And that's why the "no controversial subjects" policy works so well for DV Info. It keeps the signal consistently high.

So, in the rare case when a member is making a valid point on a video matter but can't resist "giving someone a backhander" (make-wrong) as well, things can escalate quickly. And nobody really "wins".

As Chris attempts to remove the noise and save the signal from that voluminous thread, I wouldn't be surprised if he's also taking some time to review DV Info policy which might further eliminate noise from future threads on video subjects. (I'm only guessing and I might be dead wrong about this. But I wouldn't be surprised!)

Just my two-cents. And I don't mind if nobody agrees with what I've said here. It's just an opinion.

Gary Huff
May 12th, 2015, 06:22 PM
To me at least, a sign of someone with a fixed idea is when they stop looking and listening and do nothing but assert "I-am-right-and-you-are-wrong". All I can say is, "good luck" if you wish to further communicate to somebody stuck with a fixed idea. Nobody wins out of a situation like that (in my opinion).

That's very subjective. What may seem like an open and shut case to you may not be so clear cut. So, therefore, wouldn't your opinion on whether or not someone has a "fixed idea" be, in and of itself, a fixed idea as well?

Chris Hurd
May 14th, 2015, 03:43 PM
... I wouldn't be surprised if he's also taking some time to review DV Info policy which might further eliminate noise from future threads on video subjects.

As usual, David is a mind reader.

Thanks for your continued patience. That thread isn't dead... yet.

Andy Wilkinson
May 28th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I know the thread became a mess but there were a few good posts within it.

Just a little nudge to remind you to try and sort it out soon Chris.

Andrew Smith
May 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
And we don't at all look like a collection of suddenly well behaved cats, sitting and looking up attentively as if it's feeding time and you hadn't noticed.

Andrew

Andrew Smith
April 1st, 2018, 08:28 AM
Almost two years have since passed. Any updates Chris?

Andrew

Gary Huff
April 1st, 2018, 08:58 AM

What exactly do you feel is gained by having that thread returned?

Andrew Smith
April 1st, 2018, 09:51 AM
A really good and timely discussion circa two years ago.

And I can now report that Adobe Muse has been discontinued. This is a web site generation app and on the surface it doesn't affect us.

Looking deeper, it can be revealed that its demise was because it wasn't about to seriously add to the Adobe share price and that this was therefore the foundation for the decision being made. This in turn demonstrates that Adobe has had a cultural change which may not be for the best. Video software is deemed very safe ... for now.

Andrew

Paul R Johnson
April 1st, 2018, 12:45 PM
Muse discontinued? Really - I've just migrated 7 websites to it!!!! Off to Adobe to find out!

EDIT
I got the email about closing Business Catalyst - and that isn't a worry - but, I moved TO Muse from Serif, who stopped their product, now Muse is going - and I simply HATE Wordpress. I'm on a serious downer now.

Chris Hurd
April 3rd, 2018, 04:53 PM

Well... do you *really* want it back?

Andrew Smith
April 3rd, 2018, 05:53 PM
Yes. (looks up with the innocence of a cat) :D

Also, "Sorry for the delay, Andrew -- it'll return to public view later today." Just saying.

Andrew

Gary Huff
April 3rd, 2018, 10:41 PM
Looking deeper, it can be revealed that its demise was because it wasn't about to seriously add to the Adobe share price and that this was therefore the foundation for the decision being made.

Where exactly did you find this when "looking deeper"?

Andrew Smith
April 3rd, 2018, 11:42 PM
It's revealed here in the later part of this video that was embedded as part of the Toolfarm blog post on the issue.

https://youtu.be/WgFh4uE_vcE?t=557

(9 mins 17 seconds in, in case the link doesn't work properly.)

Andrew

Chris Hurd
April 4th, 2018, 06:08 AM
"Sorry for the delay, Andrew -- it'll return to public view later today." Just saying.

Touché.

Proceed:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/528269-after-3-years-cc-working-worth.html

Gary Huff
April 4th, 2018, 08:08 AM
It's revealed here in the later part of this video that was embedded as part of the Toolfarm blog post on the issue.

"it can be revealed that its demise was because it wasn't about to seriously add to the Adobe share price"

you forgot the caveat that it was "revealed" by some random guy on YouTube recounting something he remembers someone saying in a conversation. On top of that, it's not even exactly what he remembers her as saying.

Andrew Smith
April 4th, 2018, 08:46 AM
I'm happy to trust him on that one.

Andrew

Gary Huff
April 4th, 2018, 08:55 AM
I'm happy to trust him on that one.

That's fine if you are, but saying "it's revealed" should be caveated that you trust a random YouTuber on that one.

Bruce Watson
April 4th, 2018, 03:56 PM

I'm not Chris, but I'm perfectly happy with the way things have been going. That is, I don't miss Adobe and their flaky and expensive software at all. DaVinci Resolve has improved quite a bit in the last three years, as has the hardware. It still beats the pants off Adobe for Color correction and grading, has caught up to it in audio and editing. And it's way way way cheaper. And I find Blackmagic Design to not be so user hostile as Adobe was/is.

So Adobe isn't on my radar much any more. Between Resolve and Capture One, I just don't need them any more.

Don't let fear of change stop you guys. Come on in, the water's fine.