View Full Version : Scrambled video capture... please help...

Jim Mace
October 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I am using Sony Vegas 5 with Windows 2000 Professional and the IEEE 1394 interface to capture some video that I shot this past weekend. When I go to capture the video in Vegas the image is scrambled from the beginning. If I stop the capture, or preview for that matter, fast forward the tape, and play I get a good image for all of two seconds, then the image scrambles again. Any ideas?

Lorinda Norton
October 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Jim,
What happens when you put in a different tape that you've recorded successfully and play? And are you using the camera for capture?

Jim Mace
October 16th, 2005, 11:30 AM
It happens with all 5 tapes that I have tried. I am capturing the video off of the camera's tape using Sony Vegas's Capture Video applet with the IEEE 1394 interface. The tapes play just fine when I connect the camera to the TV. Here is what the screen looks like what the normal and scrambled images (http://jimmace.com/gl2.htm)

Lorinda Norton
October 16th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Wow, that's nasty. Okay, so you've ruled out the camera as a problem (I wondered if there was a head misalignment).

If you've got another firewire cable maybe try that. I use Vegas 5 also and have always captured with whatever the default settings are. I'm having to assume it's the same as what you wrote because I've never studied it.

Lorinda Norton
October 16th, 2005, 11:42 AM
My saying that you've ruled out the camera as a problem may have been premature. I suppose there could be a problem with your firewire port. But try another cable and see what happens.

Jim Mace
October 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I purchased a new FireWire table, and everything seems to be working just fine. Thank you so very much... :-) Thank God!

Lorinda Norton
October 16th, 2005, 09:42 PM
That's great, Jim! Say, I was in Spokane just last week. (I was kind of lost, actually :) I saw some fascinating buildings and rather stately-looking homes there. It looks like a cool place to live.

Best wishes to you!