View Full Version : IS and adapters...

Michael Liebergot
May 16th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I am using a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM alpha mount with the LA-EA4 adapter, this adapter supports AF as well as IS.

The lens has onboard OSS and when turned on the camera shows IS as being off and I am not able to activate it on the camera. As it says it can't be activated due to the condition of the lens.

Should the camera show IS is working or is the IS still working but on the lens?

Steven Digges
May 16th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Hi Michael,

I doubt it is working at all. That adapter supports IS and AF on Sony lenses but I have read a lot of posts about Sigma and Tamron lenses working differently with adapters.

The best way to tell if IS is working or not is to manually look at it. Put the rig on a tripod and do some slow smooth pans with an abrupt stop. If IS is on you can see the image drift after your stop. You can also see it lag on start. With a tripod it is easy to see IS in action. If your image responds 100% accurately to your movements it is not on. With OSS on big glass like that sometimes you can even feel or hear it working.

I would count the number of contact pins on the sigma and compare them to the adapter and camera pins?

Kind Regards,

Steve

Michael Liebergot
May 16th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks Steve I'll try the tripod.
For the record I can hear the OSS on the lens working when its turned on, as well as silent when turned off.

BTW before I purchased the Sigma lens I asked Sigma support if IS would work with LA-EA4 and the camera and was told it would.

Michael Liebergot
May 16th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Ok did the tripod test...

LA-EA4 has 8 pin contacts and Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM also has 8 contacts.

OSS off: Fast pan and sudden stop. Image stops without drift on stop. No motor noise.
OSS on (1 and 2): Fast pan and sudden stop. Image drifts slightly downward on stop. Motor noise.

So gauging from the test the OSS us working on the lens but doesn't register as active/selectable in camera.

For those using EF mount with Metabones, does IS show active and selectable on camera?

Steven Digges
May 16th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I just double checked a Canon/Metabones for you. This is weird. The Canon I used is the 70-200 f2.8 L, an old model when it first came out with OIS. My OIS works by controlling it on the lens as it should. The camera steady shot option works for on/off and standard. BUT, I don't think that has any effect on anything, it certainly does not override the lens controls.

I believe this camera is optical stabilization only. There is no sensor based stabilization. The menu option is for turning it off/on with e-mount lenses that do not have a hard switch on them. The EA50 Handbook says stabilization will only work with OSS lenses.

So I think your Sigma is performing as it should. My Canons do.

Steve

BTW Michael. If you have not found it already do a search for the EA50 Handbook and you will find Sony's PDF guide for this camera that is much more detailed than the standard manual. Really worth the free download.

Peter Rush
May 17th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Steve I use both the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-105 f4 Canon lenses and IS works on both when selected on the lens using Metabones speedbooster or smart adapter. The camera lets you select standard (not active) but it seems to make no difference when turned on or off, so yes - the same for me. My Tamron 24-70 f2.8 also will use it's IS when turned on at the lens.