View Full Version : What stabilizer do you like for the GoPro?

Les Wilson
June 7th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I decided to add a GoPro Hero 4 Silver to my kit. For some outdoor scenic b-roll, I'm interested in a grab and go type stabilizer. I've researched at the Steadicam Curve, Steadicam Smoothee, Glidecam iGlide, GlideGear Cellfie and Cinevate Morpheus.

It strikes me that none of these are much good with the Morpheus getting the most "my footage has this or that problem because I can't get it perfectly balanced" reviews.

I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps the only thing worth the time investment is a motorized model and there I lean toward the SYNC. Anyone had success?

Noa Put
June 7th, 2015, 08:25 AM
I have done below videos with my gopro 4 black and Feiyu g4, the second video has a few static shots about halfway with the gh4 but anything else that moves is gopro. if you plan on getting a gimbal it is important to get one that balances on 3 axis to filter out shake in all directions except vertical movement which you have to smooth out by adjusting your walking. Every shot you see has been warp stabilized in after effects, the minigimbal is not nearly as smooth as a Nebula 4000 kind of stabilizer (with a well balanced Nebula you don't need to do post stabilization) but with some careful movement and post work you can get some smooth enough results. I prefer to shoot at 2.7k at 50fps with my gopro because it slows down nicely.

Coalmine on a Feiyu G4 and a gopro4 black on Vimeo
Station Antwerpen Centraal on Vimeo
C-MINE, Feiyu g4 and gopro4 black on Vimeo

Donald McPherson
June 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I've never used a stabiliser till now. This is actually my very first outing with the Z-one 3axis gimbal so will show how good or bad for a compete novice. Starts at 44 seconds. PS Aberdeen city council want to knock down this building to make way for a new exhibition and conference centre.
https://youtu.be/YCn2OZ3JUsY

Todd Mizomi
June 7th, 2015, 11:35 PM
The Smoothie seems to work good - I tried my friend's one.

Stay FAR AWAY from the Morpheus. Balancing is problematic, parts have fallen off, and just a whole lotta problems ever since we got it from the kickstarter. Now it just sits in the box collecting dust. (anyone want a mint condition Morpheus?)

Les Wilson
June 8th, 2015, 08:07 AM
FWIW: Steadicam Smoothee - Pocket-lint (http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/72682-steadicam-smoothee-gopro-iphone-camera-stabiliser-review)

In a sea of iPhone, open-box and "I just got this ... please like my video" junk reviews, I found the review above on the Steadicam Smoothee with a GoPro by someone who seems to have experience, knowledge and skill. It also has footage that demonstrates it can produce good moves without the usual drifting and rolling. This unit seems to be the only one in it's class that has acme threaded thumb screw adjustment for balancing the unit. It also uniquely has two quick release plates for iPhone 5 and GoPro. The others are cheap tripod mount types that use the nudge, test, rinse and repeat.

The Steadicam site says that for the Hero 4 Silver, "some configurations require a weight kit". The compatibility chart for the Smoothee and Hero 4 Silver shows these configurations as rewuiring their weght kit that covers the back LCD which is a non-starter for me.
Dive Housing
Standard Housing
Standard Skeleton
Blackout Standard
Backdoor
Skeleton Backdoor
Standard Backdoor
Standard Skeleton Backdoor

Robert Benda
June 8th, 2015, 08:27 AM
I've seen such mixed reviews on each of the 3-axis gimbals that I've half considered just leaving the GoPro on my Iris+ with Tarot 2D gimbal. That wouldn't be weird at all, would it... walking around holding a quadcopter, getting wide shots?

Les Wilson
June 8th, 2015, 03:09 PM
... That wouldn't be weird at all, would it... walking around holding a quadcopter, getting wide shots?

Ummm yes it would. :-)

This was interesting and thorough .... favors the FunnyGo 3-gimbal over the G3.... interesting test rig too
https://youtu.be/rBzSPdsVfpY

Greg Boston
June 8th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Yuneec is going to release a GoPro compatible gimbal mount for their Q500 series quadcopters. Why is that important? Because they also have the Proaction steady grip which allows you to remove the camera and gimbal from the quad, and attach it to the grip.

Just a possibility you might consider.

-gb-

Robert Turchick
June 9th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I will second the vote for the Feiyu g4. Love this little thing! I've used it handheld in a heli, for b-roll around kids where my Steadicam or Movi would distract them, on the end of a 26' painter's pole, and a lot more really cool situations where it really was the only option.

Les Wilson
June 11th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Those 3 gimbal units look great. I don't want to spend that much.

I did just open my Steadicam Smoothee and it set up in just a couple of minutes. And after half dozen tries, I feel I'm 80% there. I like the ergonomics.

They haven't updated the directions for the Hero 4. The Silver has the LCD already and their documentation assumes a BacPac backdoor of some kind for calculating the position of the front weight. But using my Hero 4 Silver with Skeleton case and back door, I went with the P3 position. YMMV

Les Wilson
August 3rd, 2015, 05:36 AM
I used the Smoothee with GoPro Silver. After a few real world tries, the GoPro Silver was just too light for the Smoothee no matter how I adjusted it. This was easily remedied by velcro on the black release on the GoPro where I added various small things to increase the weight without altering the balance too much. I ended up using a GoPro tripod mount adapter piece.

The Smoothee dials for front rear and side balance of the Smoothee made rebalancing a snap. Those dials are fantastic. However I would have liked to have had a quick release plate on the Smoothee that allowed the GoPro to attached using the GoPro QR scheme so camera could move from Car mount to hand held faster.