View Full Version : Ooops! edited 24pa footage in a 29.97 timeline -- now what do I do?

Rob Moreno
October 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
This is my first time to edit footage shot in 24p advanced mode. Unfortunately I didn't realize before I had started editing the footage in FCP that I should have removed the pulldown and edited in a 24p (23.98) timeline. Instead, I began editing in a 29.97 timeline and didn't think anything of it since the footage played back fine and didn't require any rendering. Now my question is, what will happen if I remove pulldown now using Cinema Tools? Will my edits stay intact if I simply copy everything into a 23.98 timeline? Or am I more or less screwed and need to re-edit everything from scratch? I hope the former is true since I've already put at least 30 hours into this project. Help please!

Glenn Chan
October 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Rob, you can try playing your footage back and watching it on a *CRT* television. You may find that the motion looks slightly weird because the advanced mode repeats frames.
FCP is a little odd as it may only show one field when paused, or show both fields when you play back.
If you're lazy, it's ok to not change things.

Otherwise there should be a way to remove pulldown, edit the footage properly, and then add (3:2) pulldown if necessary. I'll let other people chime in here since I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

Graeme Nattress
October 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM
There's my 24pA fixer plugin in Standards Converter, but, the correct thing to do is to remove all the pulldown and put the edit back together on a 23.98fps timeline. The fixer is good for the odd clip though.

Graeme

Rob Moreno
October 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Graeme,
Thanks for the suggestion. This project is going to be transferred to film so I know I will have to remove the pulldown eventually. There are close to 100 clips, all 24pa. Over 6 hours of footage. Will my edit be ok if I remove pulldown with Cinema Tools and then copy the sequence over to a 24p timeline? Or will the timing of the edit points be all off?

Graeme Nattress
October 17th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure if the timing will be off or not. What I'd do is make a movie of the 29.97fps timline, and use that as a reference on your 23.98fps timeline to help you make sure everything goes back right.

Graeme

Greg Boston
October 17th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I might be off-base here but I am throwing up a suggestion. What if you create and save an EDL then create a new 23.98 timeline and re-capture followed by applying the EDL you made earlier? I do know there is a menu item in the tools menu that says 'remove advanced pulldown'. Could you possibly throw your footage onto a 23.98 timeline and apply that tool? I am only thinking out loud here, no concrete, or tried and true methods just wanting to save you from re-doing 30hrs worth of work. I would at least create an EDL just in case it would work for you.

good luck,

-gb-

Rob Moreno
October 17th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Greg,

I had thought about doing exactly what you suggested. Thing is, I don't have the original tapes. The footage was shot in DVC Pro and since I don't have a DVC Pro deck the producer had the footage transferred to an external HD for me. Another reason is that I need to preserve more information than an EDL can provide. I'm doing a lot of CG work right in Final Cut Pro, using Live Type and applyng lots of filters. Rebuilding the project with an EDL would be a lot of work, wouldn't it?