View Full Version : Cheap xm2 battery link found

Pages : [1] 2

Dirk Goris
December 4th, 2002, 06:44 AM
I have bought 2 large BP-941(5) batteries from "Sabah Oceanic Inc." for my XM2. On Friday I placed my order and this morning FedEx delivered them to my doorstep for the amazing low price of $77.2 including shipment.
http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vcanon.html

After 3 hours the first is completely charged and I'm going to take it for a test-drive.

I'm curious what the catch is. It's almost to good to be true. One original canon, lenmar or power2000 battery costs more than double the price I paid now.

Specifications are: Li-ion, 7.2V. 5500mAh

Mark Härtl
December 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
very interesting. you get 2 batteries with 1000 more mAh for nearly the half price of one original battery.

thanks for the tip. how is the quality? how long do they last?

does anyone know how long it may take them to ship them to germany?

Dirk Goris
December 4th, 2002, 03:08 PM
It will take 3 to 4 days I guess. I only received them this morning so it's a little bit early to recommend them but they are solidly build and the service was excellent.

Mark Härtl
December 7th, 2002, 05:41 AM
and, what did you find out? are they good?

btw: do they come with a cover like the canon-batteries (the grey thing you put on the back of the battery to protect it)?

Dirk Goris
December 7th, 2002, 06:20 AM
I've only had them for a week now and haven't had the opportunity to film a lot but they seem to be well build and the cells are from Japan.

I think they last longer than the canons.

They come without the plastic protection but they where very well secured for transportation.

Ignacio Artiñano
December 8th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Hi.

Just after reading the posts above, I have bought 2 BP930 for 65€ and I´m waiting for the results.

I will inform.

Mark Härtl
December 13th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Just wanted to let you know, that the batteries I ordered on sunday were delivered today (2 BP-945 & 2 Sony for a Hama videolight). they were very well secured and seem to work, I am just loading one of the Canon-batts. I'll tell you more when I've tested them "in the field". I think 5500 mAh will last at least 4 hours...

Ignacio Artiñano
December 13th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Posted the order on 12/08 and recived on home on 12/13. Every thing seems OK, and they have 3700mA instead of 3000 Canon certified.!!!

I´m talking of the PB-930 model vs. the equivalent of sabahoceanic one.

Ignacio

John Lee
December 15th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Those prices are incredible!

Dirk Goris
December 15th, 2002, 01:35 AM
I did a shooting of a two hours classical concert last night and my battery now is half empty. I used the LCD finder all the time and did some zooming (not a lot). I guess 4 hours of shooting with this BP-941 battery has to be possible. For this price an unbelievable result.

The only thing I wish for is that they would include the plastic battery cover for extra protection when the battery is not in use. I wouldn't have mind paying a few cents extra for it.

Erwin Kolman
December 17th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Hello, i want to buy these battery`s but i`ll want to now if the info (like battery time and how full is it on display) is correct with these immitations

thank Erwin

ps sorry for my bad enlish

Mark Härtl
December 17th, 2002, 04:28 PM
hi erwin,

i've used one of the 2 sabahoceanic bp-941/5 for nearly two hours of standby, recording, vcr (all lcd) now and on the display it says that the batt is still half full.

additionally i can tell you that a 6v/4000mah nimh-batt from sabahoceanic supplied my 30 watt videolight for nearly 40 minutes.

Erwin Kolman
December 18th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Hi, what i want to now is that the info like howmanny power the battery have left on the screen is correct with this immitation battery

I, had a Sony and if i put on a immmitation battery than the info was not correct, it give not the right info on the screen

Tom Voigt
December 23rd, 2002, 08:04 PM
Based on this thread I ordered the BP-522 equivalent batteries for my Optura Pi.

Ordered on the 17th, arrived on the 21st, via Fed Ex. They had gone thru customs. The batteries are silver instead of the dark gray of the Canons, but otherwise appear identical.

I had a shoot on the 21st, so I left with the batteries not yet fully charged. That one battery shot two tapes for a total of 85 minutes with LED display on. When I got home, that same battery rewound 4 tapes, then imported the 85 minutes of footage into the computer, again with the fold out display on. It still had power when I shut down for the night.

I don't know how this compares to the real Canon, but I'm a happy camper.

Mark Härtl
December 24th, 2002, 05:04 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by e.kolman : Hi, what i want to now is that the info like howmanny power the battery have left on the screen is correct with this immitation battery

I, had a Sony and if i put on a immmitation battery than the info was not correct, it give not the right info on the screen -->>>

hi erwin,

the displayed power seems to be correct

Dominic Valle
January 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM
I bought a extra capacity battery off of Ebay, and it works excellent. It is for my GL1. It lasts a long time. only 50 dollars shipped

Jim Yang
January 29th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Will those BP941 batteries work fine in the North American GL2?

Dirk Goris
January 29th, 2003, 09:40 AM
for sure!!!!

Jim Yang
January 29th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Good. I already ordered two of them :)

Bob Benkosky
May 6th, 2003, 06:24 PM
That place looks sold out of everything, damn.

Ben Lynn
May 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the link that's an unbelievable price!

I just placed an order for 2 941's at $43.25 each and saved some major bucks.

Good eye.

Ben Lynn

Albert Rodgers
May 6th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Incredible prices are right. I check the website and the batteries mentioned above are sold out.

Aaron Rosen
May 7th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Tom -

What batts. did you buy? I need to get some of those.

Bud Kuenzli
May 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM
I got two of the standard batteries and they are working just fine. I sent Sabah and email to ask about future availability of the 5500mAh and they said they expected new batteries this week.

Brendan Getchel
May 8th, 2003, 01:41 PM
I bought two of the same batteries, 5500mAh LIon BP-945 replacements that work GREAT, for only $63 flat including shipping from "BatteryMegasource.com" through their eBay store: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2927867515&category=15072. They were only $27 USD each plus $9 shipping for the two of them.

I plan on buying a few more. I've haven't even used up the first charge on the first battery yet, even after many hours of LCD screen use.

Heck with Canon -- especially when I can get FIVE of these more powerful replacements for the price of one Canon BP-945.

OEM batteries are an annuity.

Ryan Krga
May 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM
I have heard that it is good to charge your battery for 24 hours before it's first use. Is this true?

Thanks for the post, I'm definately going to check out a couple of these.

Ryan Krga
May 9th, 2003, 06:34 AM
I forgot to post this before. This is the same place I purchased my Power 2000 battery from for my ZR40. Great service, great packaging, and low prices.

http://www.batterybank.com/master/bp945.html

I may just pick up this Lemnar, it's says the battery life is up to 7 1/2 hours, is this true?

Brendan Getchel
May 9th, 2003, 10:39 AM
"Batterybank.com" is a total scam!

$84 for the exact same battery that I paid $27 for?!

I'd rather buy the Canon OEM batter for another $20. That's hardly a savings.

Bob Benkosky
May 9th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Well, hopefully they get some stock in soon.

Bill Hardy
May 10th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Used my 945 battery at a wedding for the first time. Totally amazing. I used the GL2 LCD display during the wedding and reception. The whole affair lasted about 6 hours. When I got home I had used up only half the battery. This battery is 5500 or greater, and sorry I forgot where I bought it. Either Batterybarn or BHvideo.

Cosmin Rotaru
May 16th, 2003, 04:18 AM
I'm about to order the EXTRA from sabahoceanic. I have some doubts after reading this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9673.
Thouse of you who have bought the battery, what do you think?

Bob Benkosky
May 16th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Why are you having doubts? He dropped his battery, which probably caused damage. Just take care of it.

Hilary Cam
May 16th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I hope I haven’t scared any of you guys about your batteries from sabahoceanic.com

I've just been talking about my battery problems with the BP-941, likely due to an internal leakage of my own doing.

Has everyone here who ordered the 941s from sabahoceanic been pleased with their batteries? How long have you had them and how has the performance been? How many charge cycles, roughly?

If things are fine on your end, its more then likely it was due to droppage and Il'd be happy to order from them again.

Thanks.

PS, having this experience, do you think there would be any risks associated with droppage in transit?

Cosmin Rotaru
May 19th, 2003, 02:30 AM
I once droped an accu but was a Pb, not LiIon. That one went right to the trash.... I don't know if the LiIon accu would go bad if droped, like that Pb one.

Dean Harrington
May 19th, 2003, 08:06 AM
a good company that delivers. I bought two 2800 batteries for the DVX 3 months ago and they work perfectly.

Dirk Goris
May 19th, 2003, 08:40 AM
I've used the sabahoceanic batteries for 5 months now without any problem. They keep on going even after 4 hours of filming with LCD on.

Vince Skinner
May 19th, 2003, 10:05 AM
I ordered the batteries from sabahoceanic. I ordered them 2 months ago and still going strong. One of the batteries was defective and he will refund my money. The other battery has been great! He said that he probably won't get any batteries for a while.

Vince

Val Rodriguez
May 20th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Will the Canon charger included with the GL2 charge this aftermarket BP-945 generic batteries?. And if so is charge status indicator accurate?

Ken Tanaka
May 20th, 2003, 09:37 PM
It charges Power 2000 batteries just fine.

Val Rodriguez
May 20th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Hi Ken,
Is the charge status indicator light pretty accurate too?

Ken Tanaka
May 20th, 2003, 09:47 PM
It sure seems to be. The P2K's run consistently long (very long) after charging.

Cosmin Rotaru
May 21st, 2003, 02:48 AM
thank you all!
I'm glad to hear the batteryes are jsut fine.
But they're SOLD OUT again!

Bud Kuenzli
May 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM
http://www.bargain-batteries.com

has some 5500Mah batteries for $40.78

Apparently they are also doing business as

http://www.power-smart-energy.com

where they list the battery for 5 bucks more.

when I tried to order a battery the web page screwed up and I wrote a short email. they replied the next day. Shipping is a flat 7 bucks or so. I've not ordered from them so I can't recommend them but I am probably going to order two of those 5500's. At that price it's hard to pass up and I figure there are only so many actual manufacturers that they are quite likely to be the same as the Lenmar or whatever...

Vince Skinner
May 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I just bought some batteries locally from portapower. Theyr'e on Ebay and really inexpensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2929602916&category=15072

No problems with the batteries.

And yes the batteries charge fine in the provided charger that comes with the GL2.

Vince

Bryant Sentosa
June 1st, 2003, 07:09 AM
Sorry for my stupid question. What is the part number for the 8 hour battery for the GL2? Is it BP-941 or 945?

thx

Vince Skinner
June 1st, 2003, 01:09 PM
The eagle one imports(porta powers) batteries are listed as bp-945 batteries. I've read on other posts that they are the same batteries. In my opinion, I think the only difference is the amp hours, 5400 etc.

I hope that answers your question.
I love this site! btw

Vince

Benjamin Taft
June 3rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
I just ordered a couple of 3700mAh BP-930's from www.sabahoceanic.com. Lets hope they arrive at the same time as my XM-2.

Stewart McDonald
June 6th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Those 941 batteries have sold out. If I order some, will they get more in and ship?
Also, how long do the 930 batteries last for?

Thanks

Aaron Rosen
June 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM
I just got my BP-945 from Battery Megasource, Inc. I bought it via E-bay. Figured I could take a chance fro 45.97 (including shipping).

Again, it is a BP-945 with 5700 mAh at 7.4v.

It is currently charging.

I will post my findings tomor. night after I use it on a shoot.

- Aaron

Val Rodriguez
June 10th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Any idea the shelf life of these batteries or longevity under occasional use. How do they compare to OEM batteries?