View Full Version : My latest - back with 4 minute short form

Robert Benda
August 3rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
Sometime in the last year I got back on the short form (4-8 minute) bandwagon. Now we deliver short form, medium (15-20 minute highlight for online) that we call a wedding film, and the full length documentary style.

Here is our latest trailer or short form. Feedback wanted.

Morgan and Dawson's wedding trailer on Vimeo

Chris Harding
August 3rd, 2015, 08:08 PM
That neatly done Rob and seems to cover from prep and ceremony quite comprehensively! I like to watch out for windows giving you backlight issues with exposure and I see the photog had the right idea with her back to the big windows but you were shooting into the window rather than from it!

I liked it otherwise and glad you used live audio on the vows bit ..that's important! Didn't like the white flash transition you used but that's just me ..viewed on a TV it tends to be a bit harsh!!

I would call this a short form ceremony and not a trailer as a trailer (IMO anyway) covers bits and pieces of the whole wedding as a teaser and that's usually no more than 2 minutes.

Nice job! the bride should be delighted!

Robert Benda
August 4th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I'm glad to hear my biased eyes are too rose colored. Thank you, Chris. I've been frustrated by our mistakes that we keep making and this is the first one this year I've been pretty happy with.

If I don't have to, I wouldn't use the backlit shots at all, but, *boom*, there was the bride hugging grandma and then mom while I had been standing there doing nothing... oh well.

---

For audio, we are huge on it. Like most of the guys I see posts from on here. You can see my matchstick microphone on the groom, actually, just before the first look.

I've had several people tell me they hired us BECAUSE our videos feature the audio and no one else in our area does... which is just bizarre to me. I'm similarly baffled by the companies that ONLY provide a 5 minute highlight and nothing longer.

Chris Harding
August 4th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Hey Rob

I do understand that if you get a moment and you are on the wrong side of the light then the shot is way more important than the exposure ...if you had run around to the window you simply would have missed the shot and that would have been a disaster! It's always in my mind because when I still had 2nd shooters I got so frustrated that they kept shooting into the light when they could have quite easily moved position and avoided it!!

Yeah the highlight market is weird ..if I was a bride I would love a highlight video up to 10 minutes so I could show all my friends (We supply our highlight on USB but also on our LCD video book and brides take them everywhere!) However asking say $2000 for just a 5 minute video makes it expensive in the bride's eyes and to actually make it you still need to shoot most of the wedding so I really don't see the point of not putting together a long form since you already have the footage??

Robert Benda
August 4th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Its even stranger than that, Chris. I've been the DJ at a two weddings with the same video guy. He only shoots for the highlights he told me.

So, for instance, at the first wedding he wasn't filming the bride's dad's toast at all. Or the groomsman, when he busted out a beat box and had all 300 guests on their feet, cheering.

Bizarre stuff to me.

Noa Put
August 5th, 2015, 02:15 AM
I thought it looked great and you managed to get the important moments which can be over before you blink your eyes :) and that makes the difference. I did find it a bit funny seeing you run to the sides on that gopro shot from the balcony but that is something you might be able to fix, I have managed to hide myself from a locked off camera many time by overlaying the same shot where I was not in it and then use the mask tool to cut me out, it only works on camera's that are on a tripod and where the frame doesn't change. On that gopro shot of your I"m sure I could make you disappear as well without anyone noticing it.
I only have one remark on the part where they first meet, there is quite a difference between the "look" of the 2 camera's, one seems to have much less contrast and saturation, where it 2 different brands of camera's used at that moment? It did notice and I think you might be able to correct that camera to match more with the more colorful one.

I do understand that if you get a moment and you are on the wrong side of the light then the shot is way more important than the exposure
It's true that the shot is all that matters but your position should not be used as an excuse for underexposed footage, I could shoot that same shot of the bride hugging grandma from the same position and have them exposed much better, the window would be totally overexposed with no detail and it would even create a glow around the subject but that's ok because the details outside that window are not important at all. Shooting against windows is always more challenging but with fast changing environments you often don't get to choose where to to stand so you need to learn to expose right and quick and not rely on the camera's auto exposure.

About doing highlights only, I have worked as a second shooter for a guy that only did the highlights, no speeches at all, he didn't even bother with audio, just a lot of steadicam shots of the keymoments of the day and a 5 minute MTV like music clip as result, I think he mainly sold that together as a combo with his photopackages as that was his main business. His clips looked fun to watch but did not give a real impression of the weddingday at all. It was like a christmas tree ball, shiny on the outside and hollow inside :)

Noa Put
August 5th, 2015, 02:37 AM
Wanted to say another thing about the underexposed shots from the bridesmaids when the first see the bride in her dress, more specifically the closeups you did, this is also something you can correct in post, in Edius I use the yuv curve or a keyer called "screen" where I duplicate the layer, then add the "screen" so I can adjust exposure, it's not a replacement tool to handle exposure but it can lift underexposed shots to match better with good exposed ones.

Robert Benda
August 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Noa, a lot of those I had done *some* correcting on. I simply didn't do enough. Thanks to your notes, I just did some more correcting. I may have to do some more, once I see it on the big screen, but pushed the gamma/lifted the brightness a bit more in those shots.

Oh, and I never use auto settings. Especially in a place like this with all the winddows... too unreliable. For the grandma and mom hug moment, which if I'd had a better grandma shot, of course I'd have used that, but I didn't, somehow. Photog and I were waiting in the hall for the bride to head out for the 1st look and I got caught standing on the wrong side of the action. I still wanted to get as many of the family members in as I could.

That first look footage I not only pulled back the over saturated/contrasty footage, but pushed the other footage to be more saturated. Gets it closer to a match. I haven't put it into DaVinci and may need to since I'm having trouble getting it right.

Mostly that part ticks me off that I have to fix that at all. I have no idea how one of my cameras was in "portrait" or whatever mode instead of shooting flat. Really causing some headaches because its the same issue during vows and such.
-------

Thanks for the notes, Noa and Chris.

Al Wong
August 16th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Hey Robert,

Just something I've been meaning to ask you for awhile now. Is there any reason why you're shooting with a higher shutter speed? The footage ends up looking really choppy. I can see that kind of effect working on action sequences in movies, but for a wedding edit, it becomes really distracting.

Robert Benda
August 16th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Hey Robert,

Just something I've been meaning to ask you for awhile now. Is there any reason why you're shooting with a higher shutter speed? The footage ends up looking really choppy. I can see that kind of effect working on action sequences in movies, but for a wedding edit, it becomes really distracting.

We're shooting 24 fps and 48 shutter speed (thank you, Magic Lantern). Maybe its something in my render? I'll check the settings tomorrow. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere.

Steven Shea
August 17th, 2015, 02:17 PM
That's definitely not a shutter thing, looks like a render issue or a vimeo issue. It looks like the video is playing back at like 12-15fps.

Robert Benda
August 17th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Here is the template I'd been using:

And other than when my wife accidentally rolls her shutter speed up higher... or maybe in a VERY bright spot when I'll go up to shutter 100.. we shoot 24 fps and 50 shutter speed.

Suggestions?

Robert Benda
August 17th, 2015, 06:31 PM
As a P.S. to this... here is the longer highlight video we deliver. The client gets the short, this longer one, and the full ceremony/speeches/special dances.

Dawson and Morgan's wedding film on Vimeo

David Barnett
August 18th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Here is the template I'd been using:

And other than when my wife accidentally rolls her shutter speed up higher... or maybe in a VERY bright spot when I'll go up to shutter 100.. we shoot 24 fps and 50 shutter speed.

Suggestions?
One thought might be to uncheck "Allow source to adjust frame rate".

Peter Rush
August 21st, 2015, 02:04 PM
Robert I think I can see you scuttling out of the way after the processional from the balcony camera ;) I am always getting caught in the shots from my static cams - unavoidable sometimes

What is your main camera of choice?

Nice work BTW!

Robert Benda
August 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM
Robert I think I can see you scuttling out of the way after the processional from the balcony camera ;) I am always getting caught in the shots from my static cams - unavoidable sometimes

What is your main camera of choice?

Nice work BTW!

LoL. Yeah, Noa caught that earlier. I wouldn't usually let that happen, but its my only clean shot at that moment (out of 4 cameras. 4!) and I'm not going to edit myself out.

We currently have two Canon 70Ds (facial tracking focus and an STM lens is awesome for the processional), a 5d Mark ii (aisle camera and for the dance), and have just added the GoPro Hero4 Black.

This wedding, the wife didn't join me until the ceremony. I was also the MC/DJ, if you can imagine that day I juggled. Did have a DJ there for dinner and special dances, though. I'm not completely insane. All the time. I will say, being the DJ means the luxury of plenty of time to get dancing shots later on.

David Barnett
August 21st, 2015, 03:04 PM
@2:30 - how did you get Don Knotts to voiceover the announcement of the couple? j/k.

You must have been busy as heck, not just DJing but also setting up the DJ equipment & speakers etc during cocktail hour etc. Unless the assistant did that. How did you shoot dance floor, get 1 or 2 songs queued up & go out with the camera for a few minutes?

Robert Benda
August 21st, 2015, 03:10 PM
@2:30 - how did you get Don Knotts to voiceover the announcement of the couple? j/k.

Haha, yeah, my wife and I both kind of hated that guy.

You must have been busy as heck, not just DJing but also setting up the DJ equipment & speakers etc during cocktail hour etc. Unless the assistant did that. How did you shoot dance floor, get 1 or 2 songs queued up & go out with the camera for a few minutes?

I setup the DJ gear first thing in the morning, then went to film the couple.

When we book both video and DJ, I always try to have a DJ to play the first few songs. They're too important. I've had to do it solo before, but never want to.

For during the regular dancing, I'm usually only on the floor filming for 20-30 seconds at a time. As a DJ, when things are going well (and here they went REALLY well), I've usually got the next 2-4 songs in my head already. That means if a song is playing, the next one is ready to play and can be going in just a few seconds. I can, in a pinch, balance the camera/monopod on my DJ table while my other hand presses play or holds the mic - that's actually how I got the bouquet toss even though I was by myself.

I'll keep the camera on a monopod right next to me so if something cool starts to happen, I can grab it. Other times is just dumb luck, like catching the B&G high-fiving on the dance floor.

David Barnett
August 21st, 2015, 03:43 PM
Other times is just dumb luck, like catching the B&G high-fiving on the dance floor.
I once had a bridesmaid run up to me and say "You just missed the best shot of the day" with a serious look on her face, I was shocked, and asked what it was, she pointed over and nearly shouted "The grooms sister was just doing the air guitar" to ACDCs You Shook Me All Night Long. Whats scary is I think she was pretty serious?! I scoffed at the idea, as if I can be everywhere at once, and that the 'Grooms Sister doing the air guitar to ACDC' is up there with Vows, Brides Entrance, First Kiss, First Look, Cake Cutting, Toasts, First Dance, Parent Dance, Garter Bouqet, etc in addition to running all over the place, making sure my various batteries are charged, 2nd cam is setup & on, wireless mic on, got there without traffic etc etc etc.. of my day.

Robert Benda
August 21st, 2015, 03:58 PM
Man, David, maybe if it had been the worm, I could understand....lol.

I may have a deep, personal appreciation for getting random stuff like that (or see the link), but I know perfectly well, that's just really my own amusement. I'm sure the B&G think they're funny, too, but 'most important?' ha.

double-gun-gif | RNB Weddings by Robert & Nomani Benda (http://rnbweddings.com/?p=1191)

David Barnett
August 21st, 2015, 05:31 PM
Man, David, maybe if it had been the worm, I could understand....lol.

I may have a deep, personal appreciation for getting random stuff like that (or see the link), but I know perfectly well, that's just really my own amusement. I'm sure the B&G think they're funny, too, but 'most important?' ha.

double-gun-gif | RNB Weddings by Robert & Nomani Benda (http://rnbweddings.com/?p=1191)

lol, yeah I like getting those small moments too. I find sometimes they do appreciate it, and almost seem amazed "That shot of my brother & his wife doing the 'double gun' was great" etc etc I find little kids works well, like the 5 year olds out on the dance floor, and the worm. I agree tho, 'most important', kinda ticked me off, as I said, I think she was sorta serious & upset the "video guy" missed it.

Steven Shea
September 9th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I once had a bridesmaid run up to me and say "You just missed the best shot of the day" with a serious look on her face, I was shocked, and asked what it was, she pointed over and nearly shouted "The grooms sister was just doing the air guitar" to ACDCs You Shook Me All Night Long. Whats scary is I think she was pretty serious?! I scoffed at the idea, as if I can be everywhere at once, and that the 'Grooms Sister doing the air guitar to ACDC' is up there with Vows, Brides Entrance, First Kiss, First Look, Cake Cutting, Toasts, First Dance, Parent Dance, Garter Bouqet, etc in addition to running all over the place, making sure my various batteries are charged, 2nd cam is setup & on, wireless mic on, got there without traffic etc etc etc.. of my day.

I can see why she'd find it really important as it was probably really funny to them, but you can't be everywhere and you are a human who might need to change gear, go to the bathroom, grab a bite etc...

Or you might even be elsewhere in the venue, filming something else. Can't be everywhere. Unfair of her to give you that attitude.

That said, I love when I am able to get that stuff. The unplanned, funny chaos.