View Full Version : converting audio to text - transcription software

Denez McAdoo
August 17th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I've got a few hour long lectures that I need to do paper-edits before editing the video, as a means of speeding up the process. So I need to transcribe the audio into text, and I don't need 100% accuracy (but the more accurate the better).

Searching online, all I seem to be able to fine is either speech to text (I'm not dictating) or software that I would need to manually fill in the text. I want automatic transcription. I am also aware that the best way to do this is to send it to a service, but again, I don't need 100% accuracy, and also I'm looking for a cheaper option.

The best I can find is Dragon Naturally Speaking, but it seems more used for speech to text, and to use it as transcription software I've seen people suggest putting a mic up to a speaker, and that is not the solution that I'm looking for.

Adam Bauser
August 17th, 2015, 09:54 PM
You could try uploading the audio to youtube as a video. Let youtube generate automatic captions. Then download the SRT caption file from YouTube and open it in a text editor.

Denez McAdoo
August 18th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Adam, but I am really looking for a dedicated software solution. I would prefer to not have to Mickey mouse a solution, when I will need to do this easily, quickly, and reliably.

Ervin Farkas
August 27th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I know of Dragon - many doctors use it to dictate their findings.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1076474-REG/nuance_k609a_g00_13_0_dragon_naturallyspeaking_premium_13.html

Vince Pachiano
August 28th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I have another solution, but I fear it being labeled Mickey Mouse, or herky-jerky, so I will simply keep it to myself