View Full Version : Focus pulling RX10 II

Phil Stanley
August 25th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Can you pull off successful focus pulls with these cameras with fly by wire focussing, if so what are your techniques. This is not something I am particularly experienced at.

I have tried a few techniques without success.

1. Focussing on an out of focus object, use a pre-set function button to hold focus, reframe then allow camera to focus - Result ended up being to quick and some readjusting

2. switching to manual focus, turn focus ring until subject is out of focus, switch back to AF allowing camera to focus - Result ended up similar as above.

3. Using manual focus - result was having to turn the focus ring to far to achieve the desired effect.

Any advice appreciated

Noa Put
August 25th, 2015, 05:45 AM
It's not possible to do a accurate focuspull with a fly by wire focussing system, I at least have not had much success in doing that.

Phil Stanley
August 25th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Thanks Noa

I didn't think so, I did have success with an Old Olympus Zuiko 75/1.4 on a M4/3 body maybe I need to revert back to that, I was trying to stay with Sony bodies for colour matching though

Simon Denny
August 25th, 2015, 02:16 PM
The only way I have found is using number 2 in your question:

Oops, wrong answer, I used auto focus on this shot. Auto focus on subject move to new subject and let the auto focus system do its thing.

Just to add, I also then lock manual focus in once the auto focus has found its target. I have auto/manual focus setup on the scroll wheel along with peaking when I'm locked into manual focus.

around 0:38 I use this method

https://youtu.be/8MHh4pkToBg

Phil Stanley
August 25th, 2015, 05:01 PM
The only way I have found is using number 2 in your question:

Oops, wrong answer, I used auto focus on this shot. Auto focus on subject move to new subject and let the auto focus system do its thing.

Just to add, I also then lock manual focus in once the auto focus has found its target. I have auto/manual focus setup on the scroll wheel along with peaking when I'm locked into manual focus.

around 0:38 I use this method

https://youtu.be/8MHh4pkToBg

Thanks Simon, a few useful tips there.