View Full Version : Scoring A Movie

James Bridges
October 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Any music buffs out there that may want to submit some of there instrumentals to be used to score my next film? Of course there would be no pay and I may have to chop some of your music up but you will definately gets credits. This film will go to festivals. I need dark and dramatic moods. Any takers?

Chris Luker
October 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I'm game... so what kind of instrumentation would you like? Length? How many?... If you can get me a quicktime of the film I can score to that.
Also, how would you want the files?

Jason D Chapman
October 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM
i've just started this site.
so you can expect more tracks in the near future(a month, actually)

but here are
two "ambient/trancey" tracks.

if interested let me know and i will send you the .wav versions

http://www.thiefcity.com/music/RPG_16.mp3

http://www.thiefcity.com/music/RPG_2.mp3

James Bridges
October 20th, 2005, 07:24 AM
I like those Jason......Thanks guys, here's the gist. It needs to be dark moods. The timeline is looking like 100 minutes. I have some driving theme music that I am working with right now that I like. It is from royalty free stuff. I would rather have the rest of the film have an original feel to it. I need as many different instrumentals as I can get. I will just plug them in as I go. Most of the pieces need to be 3 to 5 minutes in length. Doesn't need to be orchestra masterpieces or anything. If anyone does any violin work that would be nice. I know that's asking a lot though.

James Bridges
October 20th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Here is a little more about the movie.

“When I Find Bin Laden”

Log line is: Justin tries to save his best friend from going to prison by finding a bigger fish for the police.

Justin is released from a 3-year prison sentence for methamphetamines. When he returns to his hometown he realizes that he has gone from one prison to another, which is mainstream life. He drives by old haunts and finally stops at his old friends house Chuck. He finds comfort being around the drug world. Chuck gets busted for methamphetamines. While Chuck is in jail Justin convinces the local investigator that he could go undercover and find the dealer which is supplying the Southern half of the state. No one has ever seen this dealer, and he always sends someone to do his business for him. The dealer represents evil. We are using Bin Laden as a metaphorical representation of the ultimate evil. Hence the title. Justin is in search of this dealer and finds that he is more comfortable being around the rush rather than the drug. In the end he finds himself, in finding this dealer.

my email: jim_bridgman@yahoo.com

Bob Costa
October 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
James, check this out

http://www.smartsound.com/filmcomposer/

They have other libraries also, but this strikes me as exceptional for doing features and shorts. With SmartSounds custom assembly capabilities, this can really kick up what you are trying to do.

Eric Brown
October 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM
James, check this out

http://www.smartsound.com/filmcomposer/

They have other libraries also, but this strikes me as exceptional for doing features and shorts. With SmartSounds custom assembly capabilities, this can really kick up what you are trying to do.

Ahhrrggh! The demo tracks sound pretty darn nice. I almost bought a CD until I noticed my software does not support it. Frustrating to say the least.

Bob Costa
October 20th, 2005, 06:50 PM
SmartSound Sonicfire Pro is a whole package. Download their 30 day demo to check it out. You pick a base song, tell it exactly how long you want your piece, and it assembles it for you from small pieces. That way you have one beginning, a bunch of middles, and one end. You can also manually modify or adjust how it is assembled or what chunks it uses. Very cool for video projects, since it can give you a song exactly 1:09 or 6:43 or (pick your time) long, and it ends nicely rather than just being cut off. I think it outputs a variety of audio file formats, but check if it matters to you. With the score music package they just developed, this should be a filmmakers dream. I plan to buy it for my next project.

James Bridges
October 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
I actually have this software, but thanks for the link. I'm really trying to shoot for more of an original feel here. I know from being around canned music daily that when I see a commercial or even a short film and I recognize the music bed I can't help thinking the guy that made it wasn't too creative. I use this type of music, don't get me wrong, but I use it for my day job. If there is anyone out there with some original peices and would like some credits let me know. Thanks guys........

Chris Luker
October 21st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Give me until monday, I have some strings coming in this weekend for another project... I'll see what I can do!

James Bridges
October 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
I just purchased a domain so I can post some clips on a website. I'll have the trailer up in a bit. Thanks. address is:

http://www.phigmentphilms.com/

You can see the poster now at:

http://www.phigmentphilms.com/postercopy

James Bridges
October 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Ok here is the teaser.

http://www.phigmentphilms.com/trailer.mp4

Chris Luker
October 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Sent you an mp3 of a tune I did this weekend...let me know if you received it. I'll try to find some other stuff I've done for you to use.

James Bridges
October 25th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Hey Chris I got and loved it. I'd love to get a look at some of your other stuff. The piece you gave me will work really well with moving shots. Do you have any single instrument pieces? Thanks man, this really helps. In you next email let me know how you want your name to show in the credits.

Chris Luker
October 25th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Glad you liked it. I can do acoustic or electric guitar stuff, keyboards, sax, bass, techno/dance... just let me know what you want and give me a few days...
Chris Luker is my name for the credits. Just make it BIG and flashing ... just kidding...

James Bridges
October 25th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Some acoustic guitar stuff would be nice. I don't really like the strum though. I do like more of the picked sound. Slow single not stuff. Can't play the harmonica can you?

Chris Luker
October 25th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Got one for ya, kind of a slow bluesy guitar feel with guitar, bass and pecussion.
Real simple.
BUT, it's a 7mb .wav (some of the percussion didn't sound too good as an mp3...)
Can your mailbox accept that size or should I post it to my web space?
I don't play harmonica, but I know someone who does... lemmee check with him...

James Bridges
October 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
I think my email will with this one........

james@phigmentphilms.com

Was playing around with the first piece last night. Looks like it will work in a few places. It reminded me of Hitchcock. Sounded like something off Vertigo. Thanks man.

James Bridges
October 28th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Any more takers? I need as much original stuff as possible.....

Lonnie Matherne
October 31st, 2005, 03:50 PM
apple's garage band totally rocks!!!
I'm not a musician but I created some awsone ambience sonund loops and kick ass stingers for my movie "Drugs In The Workplace" THE INTERNET KILLER mostly with what comes included you can also record your own sounds around the house and inport them into garageband
hight recomended

James Bridges
November 2nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
bump........

Bob Costa
November 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM
Watch for an email form me. Not quite original, but maybe it suits....

bob

James Bridges
November 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
bump.............

Adam Bray
November 23rd, 2005, 04:01 AM
Ok here is the teaser.

http://www.phigmentphilms.com/trailer.mp4

I played around with your video a little. If you play your trailer with the sound off and and play the second score that Jason posted along with it, it actually looks REALLY good! I think that voiceover cheapens the feel of the movie a little. JMO.....

Sean McHenry
November 23rd, 2005, 08:07 AM
James,
Thought about contributing in Unsignedbandweb.com? I have used, with their permission, several folks works from there in my DVC2 and DVC3 shorts.

I have asked over a dozen others for permission to use works I have found there and all except one have said they would love if I could use something of theirs. I am working on several scripts to shoot this spring involving at least 2 of them. One is a music video of sorts for a great rockabilly band.

If you get listed on there, let us know where you are. All the bands listed have sample pieces you can listen to as streams and most have downloadable versions too.

Sean

James Bridges
November 23rd, 2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks for that info and comments. I've received several pieces from people off of this forum and they are all great. Some have already been plugged in. Right now I am just trying to get it to the point where it can be scored completely. We just viewed the 4th cut of the movie night before last. It's looking really good. Still needs some tightening though. 5th cut is around the corner. Then hopefully it will be ready for scoring. Thanks everyone.

James Bridges
December 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Jason Chapman....... Are you still in on this? I need to talk with you about a theme song if you are interested.